Dogs in vehicles and crimes being commited

Kelownabusinessman
Fledgling

Dogs in vehicles and crimes being commited

Post by Kelownabusinessman »

I spoke to a young male who works at Wal-Mart here in Kelowna, he told me that while on break or pushing carts the staff aren't allowed to call 911 if there is a dog in a vehicle or a crime being committed, the only way the police can be called is if a customer complains. I personally think it's pure stupidity not allowing the workers to contact emergency services when there is an emergency.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Dogs in vehicles and crimes being commited

Post by Always Sunny »

Kelownabusinessman wrote:I spoke to a young male who works at Wal-Mart here in Kelowna, he told me that while on break or pushing carts the staff aren't allowed to call 911 if there is a dog in a vehicle or a crime being committed, the only way the police can be called is if a customer complains. I personally think it's pure stupidity not allowing the workers to contact emergency services when there is an emergency.

I could call the animal cruelty hotline or RCMP. If my employer asked why I'd say "some guy asked me to, but he's gone now".
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

If an employee notices a dog or child in the car they let loss prevention know - LP will notify the police and/or the SPCA and monitor the situation until the authorities arrive.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Phone number would be used in the report for official purposes if you wanted a report that would stick.

Then your employer would know that you were using your personal phone on company time, which will be the actual reason employees can't make calls, the use of personal phone on company time, not because they hate animals.

Not that I don't think it should be called in, but making the reasons why they aren't calling it in (not why) makes a different story.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Veovis wrote:Phone number would be used in the report for official purposes if you wanted a report that would stick.

Then your employer would know that you were using your personal phone on company time, which will be the actual reason employees can't make calls, the use of personal phone on company time, not because they hate animals.

Not that I don't think it should be called in, but making the reasons why they aren't calling it in (not why) makes a different story.

...it would only further corroborate their story they were actually calling the police about a dog in distress or a crime in progress - and not calling their boyfriend/girlfriend on company time...I would think this has more to do with potential for liability issues rather than an employee wasting company time...
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Employees on their coffee or lunch break are certainly allowed to use their cell phones to call anyone they want.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

oneh2obabe wrote:Employees on their coffee or lunch break are certainly allowed to use their cell phones to call anyone they want.

And...???

That doesn't help much when you're witnessing a crime or an animal/kid in a car. Damn, I would have called but I just got back from break. That's ok though, my lunch is in two hours.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

oneh2obabe wrote:Employees on their coffee or lunch break are certainly allowed to use their cell phones to call anyone they want.

Always Sunny wrote:And...???

That doesn't help much when you're witnessing a crime or an animal/kid in a car. Damn, I would have called but I just got back from break. That's ok though, my lunch is in two hours.

...I believe oneh2obabe was referring to this part of the OP story...
I spoke to a young male who works at Wal-Mart here in Kelowna, he told me that while on break or pushing carts the staff aren't allowed to call 911
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Everywhere I've ever worked...

Breaks (coffee/smoke) are paid, and on company time. Lunches are unpaid and therefore not on company time. So if you're on a paid break, I could see how this rule could apply just the same as pushing carts.

ETA: not that I agree with the rule necessarily, simply that a paid break may fall under the same rules as any other time of the day you're being paid.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Always Sunny wrote:Everywhere I've ever worked...

Breaks (coffee/smoke) are paid, and on company time. Lunches are unpaid and therefore not on company time. So if you're on a paid break, I could see how this rule could apply just the same as pushing carts.

...are you allowed to use your phone at coffee time?...
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Swoop wrote:...are you allowed to use your phone at coffee time?...

Yes they are.

Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Always Sunny wrote:Everywhere I've ever worked...

Swoop wrote:...are you allowed to use your phone at coffee time?...

Irrelevant. I don't work at Walmart.

All I'm stating is that if you're on the clock and getting paid, an employer could set limitations on such things as there could be a liability issue there.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Always Sunny wrote:*snip*
Irrelevant. I don't work at Walmart.

All I'm stating is that if you're on the clock and getting paid, an employer could set limitations on such things as there could be a liability issue there.

...which is what I stated in my first comment on the subject - it's a liability issue...
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Always Sunny wrote:And...???

Every employee should have LP's phone number - all they have to do is call them and report the crime or dog/child in car and that department will take it from there. If they don't, they have them paged, stop by the office or get another employee to call.

KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Stupid rule.

Walmart sucks.

Yet again.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “Central Okanagan”