Changes to CoK parking charges & fines

voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Changes to CoK parking charges & fines

Post by voice of reason »

GordonH wrote: May 12th, 2023, 4:50 pm Bumped up

Co-worker thought kill 2 birds with 1 stone idea, parked at downtown Safeway ran into Shoppers pickup prescription. Then proceeded to go grocery shopping at Safeway came back to the vehicle to find $80 ticket on window. Ouch

Parking has same as rock found on certain rings.
i had the same thing happen to me about 2 weeks ago . i ran over to a garbage can out on bernard to throw away a bag before going in to safeway . came out to a ticket for "walk off" . didnt see it til morning . i contacted the parking company and disputed the ticket ... it was for 80 bucks ... i sent them a copy of the safeway reciept and time stamp on the ticket . they were 20 mins apart . the ticket got cancelled but the response i got was kind of dinky . they said they would do this once as a courtesy and next time the ticket will stand . i was in the store. there should never have been a ticket . safeway needs to know how heavy the hand of their parking contractor is. it makes me not even want to shop there now
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

voice of reason wrote: May 13th, 2023, 7:36 am safeway needs to know how heavy the hand of their parking contractor is. it makes me not even want to shop there now
It might be a good idea to contact their HO and local store Manager.

If they get enough complaints then maybe they will be a bit more lenient with the ticketing.

It has to be difficult for them with the location downtown with "Walk offs".
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kelguy

Post by kelguy »

I am a frequent shopper at the downtown Safeway. I have never received a ticket when I park and go to the pharmacy or towne center gift shop (canadapost) to mail stuff. Of course i don't park there for hours either. Maximum is 2 to 5 minutes.

Who is the parking contractor? I can't imagine they are there for hours on end watching shoppers park, right?

When I do shop at Safeway I am there for 10 to 15 minutes. I would be curious if anyone received a parking ticket if they only shopped at Safeway and did not "walk off" to do other shopping.

Here is a link to give Safeway "feedback". https://www.safeway.ca/contact/ From the drop down menu, select "customer experience". You have to give your name, email, and phone number though! LOL.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Safeway provides parking for their customers but people shouldn't expect to be allowed to leave their vehicle sitting there on a daily basis for free ?
Parking in Kelowna is at a premium & it's an 80 dollar hit now & that's the standard fee charged anywhere in town as far as I know ?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

one wheel wrote: May 13th, 2023, 12:26 pm Safeway provides parking for their customers but people shouldn't expect to be allowed to leave their vehicle sitting there on a daily basis for free ?
Parking in Kelowna is at a premium & it's an 80 dollar hit now & that's the standard fee charged anywhere in town as far as I know ?
I told my coworker in future you will have to park at Shoppers pickup prescription then move your vehicle across the street to Safeway and get your groceries.

Yeah it’s pain in the :cuss:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote: May 13th, 2023, 3:48 pm
one wheel wrote: May 13th, 2023, 12:26 pm Safeway provides parking for their customers but people shouldn't expect to be allowed to leave their vehicle sitting there on a daily basis for free ?
I told my coworker in future you will have to park at Shoppers pickup prescription then move your vehicle across the street to Safeway and get your groceries.

Is Safeway not a private parking lot?

Who exactly is levying this $80 fine?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Urban Cowboy wrote: May 13th, 2023, 3:59 pm
GordonH wrote: May 13th, 2023, 3:48 pm

Is Safeway not a private parking lot?

Who exactly is levying this $80 fine?
Diamond parking according to my coworker.

Here is a street view https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.8859351, ... 312!8i6656

This is Shoppers parking lot, swing camera view to the left to see Safeway parking lot.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I guess I just find it hard to believe that anyone is keeping such close tabs on vehicles that they could ticket someone for walking over to Shoppers.

Strikes me as a small window they're working with, almost as though someone is patrolling the Safeway lot constantly.

I'm not saying I agree with walk offs, but if I was going to shop at Safeway, and let's say I needed to pick up a prescription at Shoppers, I'd possibly do it for the five minutes it would take.

If on the other hand someone walked off for a couple of hours to shop on Bernard well then I could see the ticket being justified.

For five minutes it's nothing but a cash grab.

What happens if there are two people in the vehicle, and one goes into Safeway while the other goes to Shoppers? Do they ticket it at $40? [icon_lol2.gif]
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Urban Cowboy wrote: May 13th, 2023, 5:38 pm I guess I just find it hard to believe that anyone is keeping such close tabs on vehicles that they could ticket someone for walking over to Shoppers.

Strikes me as a small window they're working with, almost as though someone is patrolling the Safeway lot constantly.

I'm not saying I agree with walk offs, but if I was going to shop at Safeway, and let's say I needed to pick up a prescription at Shoppers, I'd possibly do it for the five minutes it would take.

If on the other hand someone walked off for a couple of hours to shop on Bernard well then I could see the ticket being justified.

What happens if there are two people in the vehicle, and one goes into Safeway while the other goes to Shoppers? Do they ticket it at $40? [icon_lol2.gif]
Coworker showed me both ticket and Safeway receipt.
Time on ticket was 2:18
Time on Safeway receipt was 2:27

Total of 9 minutes to get prescription and get groceries.

impo someone is trying to get a bonus for most fines.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ No doubt someone is exploiting the situation.

If it weren't for their cole slaw I'd never go there anyway but it's the only Safeway left in town.

Doesn't strike me that tickets such as the example, will do much to encourage customer relations.

$80 strikes me as extreme and nothing more than a cash grab by some parking Nazis.

I think I'd pay to change my plates before ever paying that. [icon_lol2.gif]
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Does anyone know the location of the pay stations at the Safeway parking lot? I don't recall seeing any there, but i admit I have never looked for them. if people are ticketed for "walking away" is it not logical that they pay for the parking, and if so, where are the pay stations? LOL

If someone does park at the Safeway parking lot, proceeds to do other shopping downtown and comes back to grocery shopping at Safeway, how do they pay for parking?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Main reason I brought this up is to make shoppers aware someone is closely monitoring this lot.

I don’t do my grocery shopping at the downtown Safeway.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

GordonH wrote: May 14th, 2023, 8:13 am Main reason I brought this up is to make shoppers aware someone is closely monitoring this lot.
I just got back from Safeway. I went looking for the signage and it does have words like

Safeway Parking
2 hour parking
NO WALK OFFS

I did not have my phone with me so I couldn't take a pix. This pix is from google maps, although it is blurry as hell! ;)

I guess I have been lucky for the past 10+ years because I have parked in the Safeway parking lot and "walked off" for 2 to 5 minutes before I went in to get some groceries and have never received a ticket. :D [icon_lol2.gif]
saveway.jpg
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote: May 13th, 2023, 6:06 pm
Urban Cowboy wrote: May 13th, 2023, 5:38 pm I guess I just find it hard to believe that anyone is keeping such close tabs on vehicles that they could ticket someone for walking over to Shoppers.

Coworker showed me both ticket and Safeway receipt.
Time on ticket was 2:18
Time on Safeway receipt was 2:27

Total of 9 minutes to get prescription and get groceries.

impo someone is trying to get a bonus for most fines.
just another reason --not- to shop downtown
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: May 14th, 2023, 8:13 am Main reason I brought this up is to make shoppers aware someone is closely monitoring this lot.

I don’t do my grocery shopping at the downtown Safeway.
My coworker informed me that parking company is dropping the ticket.

Going forward won’t be picking up prescriptions while parked on Safeway lot

I suggested maybe getting new plates just in case.

Return to “Central Okanagan”