Nice weather

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Nice weather

Post by Queen K »

More is dumpin' down on us right now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Sunshine, lovely sunshine :sunshine:

Snowmelt is pouring off the roof :biggrin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote:Sunshine, lovely sunshine :sunshine:

Yeah, that is great. Now we get a lesson in heat transference.
Capture.JPG

Since the heat required to melt that snow on the roof is coming from "Radiation" from the sun and heating the shingles, while the ambient temperature is still in the negative. Therefore;
The source of heat is acquired by radiation and transference of that heat is with contact, "Conduction". If the heat needed was acquired by convection, then the ambient temperature would be in the positive range.
Did I cover the 3 means of heat transference?
Conduction
Convection
Radiation

The point is that: Snow melt on a cold day can still be a learning experience. Have fun, the snow is scheduled to return tomorrow.

Tue, 19 Feb
Increasing cloudiness. Periods of snow beginning in the morning. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 2. Wind chill minus 13 in the morning and minus 4 in the afternoon. UV index 1 or low.
Night Periods of snow. Low minus 6.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The sun is as intense now as it was way back in October, so things melt when it's well below freezing.

BTW, the sun has to rise at least 4 degrees above the horizon for there to be radiative heating. The Arctic Circle is currently starting to get some radiative heating now.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

alanjh595 wrote:
Lady tehMa wrote:Sunshine, lovely sunshine :sunshine:

Yeah, that is great. Now we get a lesson in heat transference.
Capture.JPG

Since the heat required to melt that snow on the roof is coming from "Radiation" from the sun and heating the shingles, while the ambient temperature is still in the negative. Therefore;
The source of heat is acquired by radiation and transference of that heat is with contact, "Conduction". If the heat needed was acquired by convection, then the ambient temperature would be in the positive range.
Did I cover the 3 means of heat transference?
Conduction
Convection
Radiation

The point is that: Snow melt on a cold day can still be a learning experience. Have fun, the snow is scheduled to return tomorrow.

Tue, 19 Feb
Increasing cloudiness. Periods of snow beginning in the morning. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 2. Wind chill minus 13 in the morning and minus 4 in the afternoon. UV index 1 or low.
Night Periods of snow. Low minus 6.

ok so sun out snow melts no sun no melt got it thanks
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Glacier wrote:The sun is as intense now as it was way back in October, so things melt when it's well below freezing.

BTW, the sun has to rise at least 4 degrees above the horizon for there to be radiative heating. The Arctic Circle is currently starting to get some radiative heating now.

Agreed, good point Glacier. That was lesson #2. But, since you brought it up and have been doing some pre reading :biggrin: the calculations must consider the angle of the roof and the direction of exposure to the sun, or until it reaches the baseline of 4 degrees before radiation has the greatest effect.
In this case, of snow melting from the roof, we would also have to allow for the type and colour of the exposed reactive material. (Black shingles vrs shiny tin)
I was just trying to offer a basic lesson in the 3 types of heat transference, that adults may be able to pass on to their offspring. Something, that can be applied to many other examples in real life, like stove, + water, steam, and/or microwave, etc. So many things we take for granted in everyday life.
We know what does the best job, we just don't understand why.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If the forecast holds, this will be the coldest February in my lifetime...

pentfebmean.png

kamloopsfebmean.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Environment Canada average high and low for this date...
+3 and - 4. I guess we can celebrate when it's +4 and - 3 because that's net above zero....it means the dumbazz snow is melting!!!! Yay!!!!!
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

thought you liked snowmobiling? :135:
And more *bleep* snow is on its way. :-X
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Is it spring yet
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Word scramble :

I ETHA OWNS
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

"I HATE SNOW"

What prize do I win? :D
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Free ride on a snowmobile!!
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Pick me up baby! :sunshine:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

So nice to see the sun, yesterday! :sunshine:
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Central Okanagan”