Nice weather

Re: Nice weather

Postby Glacier » Feb 15th, 2021, 11:44 am

No snow in the north Okanagan lately the skating on Kal Lake is very nice. Wood lake is nice too.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 16854 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 15th, 2021, 12:02 pm

Lady tehMa wrote:We got a skiff of snow yesterday that didn't last. Then, this morning I woke up to a bit more snow. I wonder if it will last? This winter seems a bit dryer than usual.

I put my truck out in the driveway so that I had room for woodwork this morning, it wasn't snowing at that time, about 2 hrs later, the truck was covered in 1/2" of snow when I brought it back in again.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7077 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 15th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Oh no it’s snowing in the winter time in Canada... now those in Texas got huge surprise.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12554 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Lady tehMa » Feb 15th, 2021, 12:47 pm

GordonH wrote:Oh no it’s snowing in the winter time in Canada... now those in Texas got huge surprise.

They did at that!
I'm finding it surprising how little snow we've gotten so far this winter. Especially considering that dump in October.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

3 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5712 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 15th, 2021, 12:56 pm

GordonH wrote:Oh no it’s snowing in the winter time in Canada... now those in Texas got huge surprise.

Lady tehMa wrote:They did at that!
I'm finding it surprising how little snow we've gotten so far this winter. Especially considering that dump in October.

Overall average temperature plus a lack of snow equals a very mild winter.

:swear: I prefer colder temperatures, similar to last week.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby bigtimeoperations » Feb 15th, 2021, 1:25 pm

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#325115

This is interesting. Everyone in the article is 'mindblown' and long time people are saying this has never happened before. I just can't understand how this has never happened before? I mean, last year people were skating in places on the actual lake, like on the bay between Kinsmen Park and the bird sanctuary. Surely the shallower and narrower Waterfront Park waterways would have been frozen enough for skating then too. Not to mention all the other, more severe, cold snaps over the years. This cold snap was nothing really.
Kelowna is the capital of Alberta
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Liked in: 329 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 15th, 2021, 1:40 pm

bigtimeoperations wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#325115

This is interesting. Everyone in the article is 'mindblown' and long time people are saying this has never happened before. I just can't understand how this has never happened before? I mean, last year people were skating in places on the actual lake, like on the bay between Kinsmen Park and the bird sanctuary. Surely the shallower and narrower Waterfront Park waterways would have been frozen enough for skating then too. Not to mention all the other, more severe, cold snaps over the years. This cold snap was nothing really.

My parents told us kids that Okanagan Lake would freeze over (even here in Kelowna). When I first moved here there was car racing on Duck Lake.
I grew up couple hours away, my Dad would take tractor out on the body of water and plow snow off so we kids could skate.

Clearly our climate has changed over just last 40+ years.
“Be water my friend”.
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby Glacier » Feb 15th, 2021, 7:25 pm

Seattle has had all the snow. Adding up all the snow that has fallen in February for the past 77 years, over 30% has fallen in just the past 5 years...

FB_IMG_1613442319350.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Queen K » Feb 15th, 2021, 7:27 pm

Lady tehMa wrote:
Queen K wrote:Yes, the water below the ice finds weak spots in ice and breaks it, then the slashing up of moving water freezes on the rim, creating ice cones and the water further splashes up.

Oh, neat!

Got lots of photos incoming. Was minus 1 with sunshine in Summerland. Excellent weather all round. :D
Stay tuned for another episode of "Terrified of Trump's Base."

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 20997 posts

Postby Frisk » Feb 17th, 2021, 12:25 am

Someone remind me when the silver star radar is getting replaced? Seems like that thing is on its last legs.

alanjh595 likes this post.
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 3532 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Feb 17th, 2021, 2:47 am

Silver Star Mountain is getting a weather station.

The federal government is modernizing its weather-forecasting infrastructure and has plans to put a weather station at the North Okanagan ski resort.

The government plans on replacing all of its aging radar stations with modern stations by March 2023.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/32 ... r-Mountain
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

2 people like this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 17195 posts

Postby Glacier » Feb 17th, 2021, 12:32 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:Silver Star Mountain is getting a weather station.

The federal government is modernizing its weather-forecasting infrastructure and has plans to put a weather station at the North Okanagan ski resort.

The government plans on replacing all of its aging radar stations with modern stations by March 2023.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/32 ... r-Mountain

All radar stations in Canada are in the process of being replaced. Good to see Silverstar's turn coming up!

This sentence caught my eye: "The radar station will be built at 123 Shortt St. in the resort village and will provide coverage for the southeastern region of the province."

In other words, it will no longer be situated at the top of the mountain! I wonder how this will work for tracking storms north of Silverstar!

2 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Frisk » Feb 20th, 2021, 12:13 am

Glacier wrote:This sentence caught my eye: "The radar station will be built at 123 Shortt St. in the resort village and will provide coverage for the southeastern region of the province."

They're putting it in the actual village? Aren't the radar towers kinda big or are the modern ones smaller?
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 3532 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Feb 20th, 2021, 12:25 am

Glacier wrote:This sentence caught my eye: "The radar station will be built at 123 Shortt St. in the resort village and will provide coverage for the southeastern region of the province."

Frisk wrote:They're putting it in the actual village? Aren't the radar towers kinda big or are the modern ones smaller?

Not sure about putting it in the village - 123 Shortt Street is the proper address for Silver Star Resorts. The tower itself will be a 28-metre tall open lattice steel tower with an 11.8-metre diameter radome at the top for a total height of 42 metres, including lightning protection rods.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Frisk likes this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 17195 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Feb 20th, 2021, 9:21 am

Looks like rain this weekend.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5712 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan