Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Tourism Kelowna - Queensway

Post by WalterWhite »

I'm of the opinion that none of the recently aforementioned even becomes an issue, as the project should not move forward any further than it already has. The fact they've already decommissioned the deep water launch is already an inconvenience for some and simply not warranted at this immediate point in time. I realize most of this is tongue in cheek, as I'm sure a homeless encampment is not in the best interests of the general populace either. This simply smacks of a municipality catering to a for-profit special interest group with the use of public lakefront property which a number of residents take issue with - and rightly so. I also have reservations about the actual end result of providing 24 hour washrooms available year-round as has been touted by TK in its proposal, more like a carrot dangled in front of a mule.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Here is an interesting perspective on Tourism Visitor Centres.

http://www.rogerbrooksinternational.com ... ng/page/2/

Suffice to say, Tourism Kelowna did not reference this!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Interesting, I am thinking they have to be aware of that, but they want to have a spot on the lake, over everything else..
A few years back TK said they needed an area with RV parking in the park along with a big building. Now they say that is no longer relevant... what will be the new plan in another few years ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Bottom line? Invest your money where you will get the most return on that investment. In most cases, that will be in product development, rather than visitor information centers. Make your community stand out and deliver on the promise of your brand – that will do more to encourage visitors and spending than any visitor information center could."

Makes a LOT more sense then what Kelowna is wanting to do. It is taxpayers money, and could be better spent. Put the portable kiosks in, and save money AND save the view of the lake.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

The background preparation for councils approval of the re-zoning was in the works long before anything ever came to the public hearing. Evidenced by the request to the Province for removal of the covenants way back in August of 2016. Was the public hearing a sham?
Attachments
228087 - Attachment_CoK Request for Covenant Removal August 22 2016 (1).jpg
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Interesting. Gotta love a paper trail - well, depending of course which side of the trail you're stepping on, so to speak.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Man that is interesting.. Not much concern for the public or proper process there..
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Then again trying to break a Covenant, is nothing new in this City..
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Not Visitor Centre but ....... noticed a sign on the new Memorial Parkade that says "Private Property". Interesting given that it is a public structure on public land built with public money, and on Simpson covenant lands nonetheless.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

Come one come all ....the long awaited development permit application for the Tourism Kelowna Visitor Centre is on the June 13th Council Agenda. Interesting that the City has now disclosed that it is contributing $790,000 towards the landscaping. No mention in any of the released documents on the disabled parking or loading zone requirements and how these will cross the walkway.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is how mayor and council role!

Let's all show up as affected persons at this council meeting and voice our disapproval .... don't forget to get there early wearing your "No" stickers to offset all the TK staff and hangers on.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

800k for a bathroom..they seem to like that figure..
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

fz6adventure wrote:Come one come all ....the long awaited development permit application for the Tourism Kelowna Visitor Centre is on the June 13th Council Agenda. Interesting that the City has now disclosed that it is contributing $790,000 towards the landscaping. No mention in any of the released documents on the disabled parking or loading zone requirements and how these will cross the walkway.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is how mayor and council role!

Let's all show up as affected persons at this council meeting and voice our disapproval .... don't forget to get there early wearing your "No" stickers to offset all the TK staff and hangers on.

Anyone going tonight?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oppose the huge expensive, inappropriately placed tourist structure that is a pet project of a few and of NO assistance to real tourists in RVs, camper vans, and pulling trailers and boats.

Not to mention it's in a proven flood zone.

TONIGHT. June 13th.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

IMHO this has got to be one of the most poorly unthought out, ill conceived 'projects' the City Clowns have ever come up with.

Simply ass-in-hind spending on a glorified washroom that most Kelowna tourists will not have any real practical use for...

except as a washroom.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

What time ? Council chamber, I presume?
I will try to be there.

Return to “Central Okanagan”