Lake Country Rail Trail

Lake Country Rail Trail

Postby Peter Obstfeld » Mar 18th, 2016, 9:11 am

Re Okanagan Rail Trail..spoke to a member of the inter-jurisdictional development team project and I Quote :horse use Not permitted on rail trail !!!
Peter Obstfeld

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Lake Country Rail Trail

Postby gman313 » Mar 18th, 2016, 9:18 am

Good! Awesome! Great!!!

they shouldn't be

LTD likes this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1425 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Mar 18th, 2016, 9:24 am

No *bleep*.
If beer is not the answer.
You are asking the wrong question.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2558 posts

Postby KL3-Something » Mar 18th, 2016, 9:35 am

It wouldn't bother me if they were allowed on it. Horse crap is easier to put up with than dog crap.

I am happy that they intend to build it to the standard of the Mission Park Greenway for the foreseeable future. I don't think that it need to be paved for it's length.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

kgcayenne likes this post.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1052 posts

Postby GordonH » Mar 18th, 2016, 10:18 am

I really I'm not bothered by horse crap on the trail, I watch were I'm walking plus it breakdown rather quickly unlike dog crap.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7914 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby TylerM4 » Mar 18th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Would rather see a bylaw or something that requires horse owners to clean up the crap or get a fine.

Typical - take the easy and heavy handed approach instead.

Not a horse owner/lover - just someone who likes to compromise for the good of everyone.

Queen K likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1171 posts

Postby LTD » Mar 18th, 2016, 1:34 pm

they should be licensed to
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3148 posts

Postby GordonH » Mar 18th, 2016, 1:41 pm

TylerM4 wrote:Would rather see a bylaw or something that requires horse owners to clean up the crap or get a fine.

Typical - take the easy and heavy handed approach instead.

Not a horse owner/lover - just someone who likes to compromise for the good of everyone.

Dogs, horses.... owners should be cleaning up behind them. Also goes for humans as well i.e coffee cups, napkins, candy wrappers etc.... etc

When I walk along Greenway and see all those items (it p*sses me off how lazy people are), since dogs or horses can't cleanup their messes. Its up to owners to do it (that includes our garbage as well).

I'm calling those out, anyone who does not cleanup after there animals or themselves in public area's. Are lazy
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7914 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby OREZ » Mar 18th, 2016, 3:21 pm

What was the reason for not allowing horses? Anyone?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1082 posts

Postby coleen black » Mar 18th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Okay, so I get you guys and your aversion to horse use and poop on this new Rail Trail,but horse poop is just "gas and grass"and many times more bio-degradable than dog poop! I do not disagree that riders could/should dismount and kick it to the side or off the pathway where it will soon dry up and become grass fertilizer..unlike dog poop!There is controversy about riders doing this because there 'could' be safety concerns with the horse and public if a rider dismounts for this purpose, but I dismount on the Greenway all the time to remove my horse's poop off the trail and still maintain control and safety to anyone nearby.

Maybe if all you non-horse people 'had a horse',you would have a completely different viewpoint and not be so selfish about having this muti-kilometer, out in the country riding trail all to yourselves.
p.s. there are many pedestrians who love to see and share the city Greenway with these beautiful creatures,and then there are the "those" smaller minded people that "can't share"and won't cut anyone else any slack.

There is not a horse owner in this city that wouldn't absolutely love to ride this new Rail Trail.The city of Kelowna thinks the Greenway is good enough for us to ride on and by comparison the traffic and pedestrians on the Greenway will probably remain much heavier with people than this new Rail Trail (which is out of city and should be more horse-friendly)))))

3 people like this post.
coleen black

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby coleen black » Mar 18th, 2016, 3:59 pm

double post.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Mar 18th, 2016, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed duplicate post.
coleen black

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby LTD » Mar 18th, 2016, 4:25 pm

not sure why someone would want to ride their hayburner anywhere there is bikes whizzing up behind them spooking them creates a potential safety issue im guessing

common_sense_guy likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3148 posts

Postby OREZ » Mar 18th, 2016, 4:26 pm

coleen black wrote:Okay, so I get you guys and your aversion to horse use and poop on this new Rail Trail,but horse poop is just "gas and grass"and many times more bio-degradable than dog poop! I do not disagree that riders could/should dismount and kick it to the side or off the pathway where it will soon dry up and become grass fertilizer..unlike dog poop!There is controversy about riders doing this because there 'could' be safety concerns with the horse and public if a rider dismounts for this purpose, but I dismount on the Greenway all the time to remove my horse's poop off the trail and still maintain control and safety to anyone nearby.

Maybe if all you non-horse people 'had a horse',you would have a completely different viewpoint and not be so selfish about having this muti-kilometer, out in the country riding trail all to yourselves.
p.s. there are many pedestrians who love to see and share the city Greenway with these beautiful creatures,and then there are the "those" smaller minded people that "can't share"and won't cut anyone else any slack.

There is not a horse owner in this city that wouldn't absolutely love to ride this new Rail Trail.The city of Kelowna thinks the Greenway is good enough for us to ride on and by comparison the traffic and pedestrians on the Greenway will probably remain much heavier with people than this new Rail Trail (which is out of city and should be more horse-friendly)))))

Though I'm not a horse owner (actually, I've never even ridden a horse :( ) and I do like dogs and used to have one and have been around them quite a bit in my life, I agree with you, coleen black . In fact I'm going to set myself up for some hate replies here and say that, given the choice between the two, I'd rather share the trail with horses than dogs... or should I say, rather share the trail with horses than a disturbingly large amount of dog owners my wife and I have encountered in recent years, who obviously can't read clearly printed signs about leashes and picking up after their pet.
Last edited by OREZ on Mar 18th, 2016, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Postby OREZ » Mar 18th, 2016, 4:27 pm

LTD wrote:not sure why someone would want to ride their hayburner anywhere there is bikes whizzing up behind them spooking them creates a potential safety issue im guessing

I've actually ridden my bike on the greenway and other trails where horses were present quite a bit and never once spooked one. Not even caused one to flinch.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Postby ifwisheswerehorses » Mar 18th, 2016, 4:42 pm

LTD wrote:not sure why someone would want to ride their hayburner anywhere there is bikes whizzing up behind them spooking them creates a potential safety issue im guessing

Those whizzing bikes can be be a safety hazard to pedestrians as well. I'd take horses, dogs and hikers over those selfish can do what I want as fast as I want bikers any day.

Years ago I had a friend tell me those cyclists were passing her and horse with only inches to spare and NO warning. I told her next time if she hears them coming to turn her ankle out. Not safe but after that some of them started being more polite to the other users.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
ifwisheswerehorses
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 438 posts

Next

Return to Central Okanagan