Lake Country Rail Trail

bernie428
Board Meister

Re: Lake Country Rail Trail

Post by bernie428 »

dirtybiker wrote:
bernie428 wrote: and possibly a limitation of hours of access.

That only works for honest people anyways.....so moot point....

Anyone outside those hours gets the attention they don't want.
In the end, it's lack of a smack in the courts that's the real problem.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

bernie428 wrote:I’ve never heard of a train passing through stealing anything. However the few people you mentioned....which adds up to hundreds a week, and that’s conservative, aren’t necessarily the problem. It’s the fact that now the criminals can easily walk or bike through....scope out what’s there’s to steal, easily watch the pattern of when it’s a good time, and raid the homes, shops, garages, etc. It’s rampant since the trail has gone in. They didn’t have the easy access before. But now they have 24/7, 365 days a year access.
Unless you live along the rail trail you probably have no idea what’s happening. Don’t be so quick to judge something that you know nothing about.

If you are writing here about the section of rail trail in question; the section between the airport, past Eldorado Ranch, and north till about 500m south of Holiday park then...

A) I am very familiar with that area. Most of the crime is between Holiday Park and Beaver Lake Rd. Most of the culprits there are known locals.

B) The original Eldorado, aka. Bennett/LANDM "Ranch" and it's outlying structures are the only possible targets for 2km in any direction of all this rampant thievery to which you have referrred. The log castle on the hill owned by Kevin Bennett is further yet from any of bike riding thieves, and any smart homeowner has access to alarms, lighting, large barking dogs, insurance or .357 magnum to defend their shtuff if need be.

Compared to the $100's of million$ worth of chicanery that the Bennett's have gotten away with in the past, this concern about safety and security is patently absurd.
Last edited by TreeGuy on Nov 6th, 2018, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Terris wrote:
If you are writing here about the section of rail trail in question; the section between the airport, past Eldorado Ranch, and north till about 500m south of Holiday park then...

A) I am very familiar with that area. Most of the crime is between Holiday Park and Beaver Lake Rd. Most of the culprits there are known locals.

B) The original Eldorado, aka. Bennett/LANDM "Ranch" and it's outlying structures are the only possible targets for 2km in any direction of all this rampant thievery to which you have referrred. The log castle on the hill owned by Kevin Bennett is further yet from any of bike riding thieves, and any smart homeowner has access to alarms, lighting, large barking dogs, insurance or .357 magnum to defend their shtuff if need be.

Compared to the $100's of million$ worth of chicanery that the Bennett's have gotten away with in the past, this concern about safety and security is patently absurd.

Wow, I have a ranch there? Cool! And a castle on it? That is quite the barony.

But unfortunately it must mean you are living in a van down by the river directly below it then....especially if you know all about the crime there! Gosh, you need to set up some special Matt Foley motivational classes for the area. I’ve got some space nearby that you could rent..... :up:

But regardless of your continued concern about ranches and castles, equating security issues of a daily train going through compared to hundreds of people per day is what is actually patently absurd.
You and 71 others Like this post
jv34

Post by jv34 »

I ride the rail trail often, and nothing p-isses me off more than to have the trail blocked north of the airport. If there’s any truth to the Bennett’s holding this up...shame on them...how dare they hold this project up for negotiations...very bad example.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

jv34 wrote:I ride the rail trail often, and nothing p-isses me off more than to have the trail blocked north of the airport. If there’s any truth to the Bennett’s holding this up...shame on them...how dare they hold this project up for negotiations...very bad example.

Yea, how dare they stick up for their rights as private property owners...smh
jv34

Rail Trail Blocked

Post by jv34 »

spooker

Re: Rail Trail Blocked

Post by spooker »

I don't believe in the argument to travel back in time and kill Hitler before WWII ... but I would support someone being sent back in time to kill whomever thought up the idea of "red tape" in government processes!

There was such a great effort to fund the improvements and get it built out ... and now we wait ... sure it's nice to ride out to the airport and watch the planes ... but it'd be even better if we could go for a paddle in Kalamalka Lake by bike ...

And what's this about "underpasses or overpasses" being required by the ranch? Do their employees operate without sight or commonsense? Can't they handle an intersection with bicycles and pedestrians?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

spooker wrote:I don't believe in the argument to travel back in time and kill Hitler before WWII ... but I would support someone being sent back in time to kill whomever thought up the idea of "red tape" in government processes!

There was such a great effort to fund the improvements and get it built out ... and now we wait ... sure it's nice to ride out to the airport and watch the planes ... but it'd be even better if we could go for a paddle in Kalamalka Lake by bike ...

And what's this about "underpasses or overpasses" being required by the ranch? Do their employees operate without sight or commonsense? Can't they handle an intersection with bicycles and pedestrians?

well it is going through tbere property I can see why they want access

challenge is if you put in an opening the idiots on the trail will wander onto the guys private property.

Issue is with the ALC
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

The issue is nothing new and the landowner is on record as not being against the trail accessing through their property and only wants to ensure access remains and that there are assurances against trail users trespassing or accessing other areas of their property - just as any property owner would want.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66697&p=2436555&hilit=Rail+trail#p2436555
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

There are many properties already bisected by the trail.
The trail has Cautionary intersection ahead signs, and the landowners
have Stop signs.

Yes, some entitled few feel it is their right to veer off the
trail onto Private Property.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Also, other property owners did raise concerns about potential trespassing, and after the fact are now saying that the trail is great and their fears were unfounded.

Also, thieves are lazy a$$ mofos, so they're not going to travel 10km down a bike bath to steal stuff. Heck, they're so lazy that when they walk down my street, they hit my neighbour's place but no mine because his house and car is 20 feet closer to the street.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

I would think that having cyclists and walkers passing by would only increase security, this is just a ploy by the Bennett’s to get a deal and have some of their other ALR land released.The rail trail passes by our daughters house at Crystal Waters, with a few thousand passing by last summer, not one person ventured into her yard.
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

cuba108 wrote:I would think that having cyclists and walkers passing by would only increase security, this is just a ploy by the Bennett’s to get a deal and have some of their other ALR land released.The rail trail passes by our daughters house at Crystal Waters, with a few thousand passing by last summer, not one person ventured into her yard.

Aside from the home and personal property, does your daughter have livestock and required containment of same on her property? Does her property have the same hazards and dangers inherent with farm and agricultural operations that in today’s litigious society is a disaster waiting to happen should the public be given unrestricted access? A residential lot and home is a far cry from a large rural acreage and Bennett’s are simply looking to make sure their assets, and liabilities are considered and protected from those “few thousand” now being granted access (which again they’ve publicly stated they are not opposed to) through their property and ongoing farm operations. Really not an unrealistic expectation. If, in the world of negotiations with government bureaucracy as you’re suggesting, an opportunity to barter the release of privately held ALR land in return for granting public access to other privately held ALR land, would anyone in their right mind not use that opportunity to their advantage?
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

Terris wrote:
bernie428 wrote:I’ve never heard of a train passing through stealing anything. However the few people you mentioned....which adds up to hundreds a week, and that’s conservative, aren’t necessarily the problem. It’s the fact that now the criminals can easily walk or bike through....scope out what’s there’s to steal, easily watch the pattern of when it’s a good time, and raid the homes, shops, garages, etc. It’s rampant since the trail has gone in. They didn’t have the easy access before. But now they have 24/7, 365 days a year access.
Unless you live along the rail trail you probably have no idea what’s happening. Don’t be so quick to judge something that you know nothing about.

What I said was this;
Sorry, but that's no more reason to ban me from the trails than it is to ban you from downtown.
It is a reason for increased attention from the police though, and possibly a limitation of hours of access.

Just to be clear, you cut that out, and restated the quote I didn't agree with.
bcrichard38

Post by bcrichard38 »

This past fall the 1km west side stretch of the trail between Woodsdale Rd and Lodge Rd was fully fenced with a 6 foot high post and wire structure which included lockable access gates for all the farm properties along it. I don't see why the same couldn't satisfy the concerns of the Eldorado ranch. My property and adjacent properties bordering the east side of this portion of the trail have 3 ft high wire fencing and have had no problems with the trail users trespassing.

Return to “Central Okanagan”