Plane crash near Hwy 33

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Plane crash near Hwy 33

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Anyone know the approximate location? was it between Beaverdell and Big White, or the other side of Beaverdell ?
did he come down and circle around the site? sounded like he clipped a powerline and a few trees trying to scrub speed before they touched down. Great job by the pilot by the way.. Was he near the highway or quite a ways off ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Frisk
Guru

Re: Plane crash near Hwy 33

Post by Frisk »

Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Article says it was between Beaverdell and Rock Creek, but there's almost 50km between them so I'm not really sure. Looking on google earth the only thing I see that looks like a christmas tree farm is on Christian valley road just north of Westbridge.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

This is why one always dips the tanks. Having said that, I'm unfamiliar with the Commander 710 so I'm not sure how and if you can dip the tanks. But, always double check fuel loaded before you leave and double check your flight plan (route, winds aloft, etc.) before you fire up the engines. While the pilot did a great job in bring the plane down, I'd be interested in learning the preflight procedure he used before leaving Arizona. Now, I wasn't in the cockpit so I'm not criticizing the pilot, I'm just curious as how this could have happened because an aircraft should never run out of fuel - there are procedures and training in place from day one in flight training to prevent this. Again, I'm not criticizing, but it will be interesting to read what the official investigation report has to say when it gets published.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Ok in the comments it said, a mile from an abandoned airstrip... not sure where that is..
The pilot responded after that comment.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I see Kelowna legend Kelly Mulzet was on that plane.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Ok in the comments it said, a mile from an abandoned airstrip... not sure where that is..
The pilot responded after that comment.

there is an old airstrip at rendell creek ranch in the christian valley
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Kelly Mulzell a legend. Sorry, I'm not familiat with; who is Kelly Mulzell.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

occasional thoughts wrote:Kelly Mulzell a legend. Sorry, I'm not familiat with; who is Kelly Mulzell.

I dont know who this Kelly Mulzell that you speak of is
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Sorry, Mulzet.
knoet2007

Post by knoet2007 »

Maybe just a simple switching mistake while selecting left or right fuel tank. Or a valve failure, though it's a 35 yr old airplane and the switching is probably mechanical not electrical.
Carburetor icing on both engines at once...not likely
empty tanks- I would think the engines would sputter quite a bit before stopping on a piston engine.
not enough fuel before they departed and fuel gauges breaking also....possible, but...
Usually the simplest reason is most likely.

Forcing it to land at 200 mph is uhhmm "interesting" and yet may be what saved them.
I remember from way back in time up north somebody telling me: Don't ever stall it in. Better off to go into the trees at cruise speed. This guy has now provided some proof :)
And he doesn't have to go through the trouble of selling the airplane anymore!
http://www.controller.com/listings/airc ... mander-700

Glad there were no casualties!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There was still 30 min of fuel in the tanks so something else was the cause.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#167320
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

This is one of my all time favourites ... first he runs it out of fuel, lands it on a highway and then, well ...

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Dizzy1 wrote:This is one of my all time favourites ... first he runs it out of fuel, lands it on a highway and then, well ...

Had to watch closely to see the wing tip hit the truck mirror.

[quote] 14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, October 26, 2005 in BAKER, LA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 07/25/2007
Aircraft: Cessna 210L, registration: N59051
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

NTSB investigators used data provided by various entities, including, but not limited to, the Federal Aviation Administration and/or the operator and did not travel in support of this investigation to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The 794-hour private pilot made an uneventful emergency landing on a public highway following a reported loss of engine power due to fuel starvation. Several attempts were made by the pilot to have the aircraft placed on a flatbed trailer and recovered to a suitable airport; however, the width of the trailers available for recovery was too narrow to accommodate the airplane's main landing gear. After several failed attempts to recover the airplane by ground, the pilot elected to fill the fuel tanks with 15 gallons of fuel and, after coordination with local law enforcement, attempt to takeoff from the private highway. Vehicular traffic was stopped in preparation of the airplane's takeoff from the highway. During the takeoff roll from the highway, the airplane's right wing collided with a side mirror of an 18-wheel truck and then struck the rear of an emergency vehicle. The collision with the vehicles made the airplane turn sharply to the right into a ditch, subsequently impacting trees.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot's failure to maintain clearance during takeoff roll.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

how could they be dumb enough to leave vehicles on the road

Return to “Central Okanagan”