To Pedestrians & Cyclists

Home of the traffic rant.
spooker

Re: To Pedestrians & Cyclists

Post by spooker »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Good News. The City is looking at a project to try cleaning some of the bike lanes for Winter use.
I fired off an Email to Counciller Hodge, outlining some concerns about Sexsmith, which seems to be the commuter bike route to UBC for many cyclists. Hope this is a positive move forward .

Counciller Hodge, during the discussion expressed concerns over how many cyclists are riding in the winter. So if you are, or would ....if the more heavily lanes were being cleared...and you want your views or interest known, please send a note to
[email protected]

The Kelowna Area Cycling Coalition met with the Operations crew last June to discuss these issues too ...

I've sent off my letter to Counciller Hodge ...

Having a car speed up behind me and then slide on the slick surfaces is wonderful since I am forced into the vehicle lane since the bike facilities are ignored ... (though Gordon and Springfield looks better than previous years in places)
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

The bike lanes aren't being ignored, it's winter. Back streets and bike lanes are lower priority. Stop creating an unnecessary drama.

How about you stay off the roads in winter until the bike lanes are clear and it's safe to cycle?

Same with mopeds. I've seen you, riding and snaking all across the sidewalks and bike lanes. Almost sliding under a semi trailer.

Geniuses...
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

They were being ignored before the snow hit..the city allowed a job on north side of Sexsmith, a future storage place for RV. I assume they took the permit money, and allowed work to continue.
At any rate a heavier than usual amount of dirt and mud has accumulated on the side of the road in a short period of time and was not cleaned up.
If they issue a permit, and they are fouling the roads, they should be cleaning it up.
I have seen a major route..Clement , not cleaned up by summer if at all.. Now if you se someone ride on the sidewalk you are quick to complain, but they cant get the lane cleaned.
Very few mopeds around, I think you are seeing scooters.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So I'm driving into Westbank last night headed to a Christmas party when this guy appears right out of the snowbank to my right. What is he dressed in? Almost pure black with a hint of gray. Because everyone has to dress in pitch black when cross the Highway in odd places.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Very few mopeds around, I think you are seeing scooters.

Looked up images for both and I think they can be interchangeable. Same, same.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote: Because everyone has to dress in pitch black when cross the Highway in odd places.

If they are going to dress like a frigging Ninja then they better be able to jump out of the way like one! :-X
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Gypsylady
Fledgling

Post by Gypsylady »

Anyone that rides a bike with the road conditions in this weather has a few loose screws :130:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Bsuds wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Very few mopeds around, I think you are seeing scooters.

Looked up images for both and I think they can be interchangeable. Same, same.

The wheel size determines the classification. I had one that was plated and insured.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:
The wheel size determines the classification. I had one that was plated and insured.

You and I know the difference, to the general public they are all the same. Semantics.
Bsuds wrote:
If they are going to dress like a frigging Ninja then they better be able to jump out of the way like one! :-X

Exactly!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
spooker

Post by spooker »

lightspeed wrote:The bike lanes aren't being ignored, it's winter. Back streets and bike lanes are lower priority. Stop creating an unnecessary drama.

How about you stay off the roads in winter until the bike lanes are clear and it's safe to cycle?

This is my 8th winter cycling in Kelowna ... I don't find it unsafe to ride where I need to ... I'm sorry that you might get stuck behind me for a bit ... but I pay for these roads too and will use them when necessary ...

No, bike lanes aren't being ignored, they mistakenly are considered "snow storage" by CoK Operations ... as they see more cyclists in winter they are slowly changing their minds ... there are several routes where the bike lanes do not need to be storage since there is space between the curb and the sidewalk ...

Something funny that I've noticed is that with the snow/ice covering the lines on the road approaching Harvey on Ethel the cars have retaken the bike lane to make into a right turn lane ...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote:This is my 8th winter cycling in Kelowna ... I don't find it unsafe to ride where I need to ... I'm sorry that you might get stuck behind me for a bit ... but I pay for these roads too and will use them when necessary ...

No, bike lanes aren't being ignored, they mistakenly are considered "snow storage" by CoK Operations ... as they see more cyclists in winter they are slowly changing their minds ... there are several routes where the bike lanes do not need to be storage since there is space between the curb and the sidewalk ...

Something funny that I've noticed is that with the snow/ice covering the lines on the road approaching Harvey on Ethel the cars have retaken the bike lane to make into a right turn lane ...

I do wish you & fellow cyclists the best on this, it maybe good idea to have Abulance services on speed dial.
Because some of larger vehicles on the road don't really give damn you may have right to be there (that not necessarily Semi's that I'm talking about).

Added: whenever I see cyclists out & about in the winter time, all I see is accident about to happen. Which does not end well for the cyclists.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Urban cycling is just another form of Darwinism, just like drunk driving, speeding, putting N stickers on powerful cars, running red lights, texting & driving, and more.

The way these two wheeled Lycra clad perils operate, it's hard to have much sympathy when a boo hoo happens.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Gypsylady wrote:Anyone that rides a bike with the road conditions in this weather has a few loose screws :130:

Or have so much determination to get to work to support their families and has no other option. I'm 100% sure they don't ride in the winter for fun. Would you prefer they beg for money?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Hmmm wrote:Or have so much determination to get to work to support their families and has no other option. I'm 100% sure they don't ride in the winter for fun. Would you prefer they beg for money?

Though my wife might agree with GypsyLady at times (especially with my penchant for shorts in colder temps) I cycle because it adds to my general happiness ... being stuck inside a vehicle that I have control of only via proxy (mechanical connections) with the heater having to go full blast to stop me from being able to hear the environment, that frustrates me ...

I own a car ... if I have to use it I do ...

As for being "an accident waiting to happen" ... aren't we all? I can stop quite quickly even in these conditions ... my maneuverability is better than a car due to the fact that I'm not carrying an extra couple of thousand pounds of dead weight ...

Did I mention that I don't see any weight gain during this season like someone who isn't staying active?

If you see a cyclist in the winter, they must be doing something right since all I usually hear about is how everyone on a bike likes to be invisible ...

Why don't more drivers try and convince others to ride a bike? the alternative is more f'ed up traffic out there to deal with ...
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I am not seeing a large amount of bicycle accidents in this weather.. If any..
Its about riding within your limits...not what some cage driver thinks is suitable for people on bikes..
I see however, that the darwinism, is chipping away at the auto drivers at a steady rate..

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”