Fortis Bills

Hornswoggle
Fledgling

Re: Fortis Bills

Post by Hornswoggle »

Put a personal heater on pointing towards the baseboard to disperse the air. I also have a fan on the fridge I turn on after baseboard has been on, because heat rises, the fan distributes it.
I have digital thermometer, my fan on the fridge raises temperature in kitchen .6 degrees in 10 minutes.

Much rather have 750 watt .75kw personal heater going that a 4000watt, 4kw baseboard.
Actually you could have 5 of those little heaters going on low for price of one baseboard. 3 of mine are 4000 watts, one is 2000 watts.

Lots you can do
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

People who use more do pay more under either system. The problem with two tier is you are punishing those who live in colder climates unfairly not to mention those with big families who have no choice but to use more electricity. Hopefully BC Hydro will follow suit.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Farmmaa wrote:
Bpeep wrote:
Is that this month or this billing period?
If its this billing period, $550 merely represents one 2kw baseboard heater running 24 hrs a day plus a few incedentals such as tv stove a few times a day and some lighting.
Electric heat is costly and if you arent careful with it and mitigating heat loss it can hurt when you get the bill.

For this billing period.
My last two bills were around $300.

I have one baseboard heater in the kitchen that is set to 55.
I have one in the office/entry that I use during the day and is only turned just until it clicks on, then turned way down at night.

I can't do much more to conserve power and still keep the pipes from freezing.

That sucks when your heat is almost ten bucks a day.
I assume your hot water is electric too. Gets a bit costly too this time of year when the incoming water temps are so low.
All you can do is stop washing and build up a winter protective crust. Take care of biz when runoff temps rise
I hate electric heat.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Bpeep wrote:
I assume your hot water is electric too. Gets a bit costly too this time of year when the incoming water temps are so low.
All you can do is stop washing and build up a winter protective crust. Take care of biz when runoff temps rise
I hate electric heat.

It's a little screwy that it's $200 more this time around - I really haven't changed how or when I have the heaters going since winter started. I've just been wearing more sweaters and thicker socks this past month.

My last place had four baseboard heaters going and it was never anywhere near this much.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Bpeep wrote:
I hate electric heat.

Farmmaa wrote:It's a little screwy that it's $200 more this time around - I really haven't changed how or when I have the heaters going since winter started. I've just been wearing more sweaters and thicker socks this past month.

My last place had four baseboard heaters going and it was never anywhere near this much.

Call Fortis and have them check your meter.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

With the temps we've had, a few kilowatts will barely heat an average bedroom.
A kilowatt will deliver 3415 btus per hour of heat.
Twenty of those equal an average furnace.
A kilowatt doesnt sound like much but it can be over $200 on a billing cycle.
And it takes one and a half of them to run a little heater that plugs into the wall.
Electric heat and electric hot water sucks the life outta ya with mailbox surprises.
Id never own an electric fuel only house in this province.

The costs are insane.
Look at your tier two rates and do the math.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”