Dangerous, disgusting mess

Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Dangerous, disgusting mess

Post by Leifer »

Do you include the thousands of "regular people" who also happen to be drug addicts in this plan? Or just the ones who are totally helpless? Lots of addicts in our community have a home, a job, a family...will you be executing them too? Or is being on the streets the only real crime here?

Let’s be clear here. I do not advocate just rounding up the homeless/junkies/addicted and shooting them on the spot. I suggested a hideously expensive, multi-year process that actually *forces* people out of their environment and into a correctional facility to clean them up. They would not get a choice....they would get clean. After they are clean, they would be placed into some sort of trades or educational program that would give them some employment skills. Spit them out the other end and hopefully they can become useful members of society. The "rehabilitated" would be given two more chances to go through the system....on the third failure *BANG*.
And you can't force someone to do a rehabilitation program any more than you can force them to earn a university degree. You can lock them in a facility but you can't force them to work out their issues if they're not willing/able.

You are correct...you cannot force someone to stay clean. But you can force someone to get clean. And you can provide a strong incentive for them to turn their life around (precious, precious life!)
Your proposal wouldn't help anyone, although it would relieve you of the burden knowing that "they" are part of the same society as you are.

I know it all sounds very draconian to you lefty types....but I am not proposing we walk away from these people....quite the opposite. I am talking about pouring millions/billions into this problem and getting it done.
It won't happen....no one will want to pay for it....but I can dream.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

3 strikes you're out. You'd think our would work, but it doesn't. California is rescinding that law add we speak. Besides whats the average number of attempts to have meaningful and lasting abstinence? 9 as I recall.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Leifer wrote:Let’s be clear here. I do not advocate just rounding up the homeless/junkies/addicted and shooting them on the spot. I suggested a hideously expensive, multi-year process that actually *forces* people out of their environment and into a correctional facility to clean them up. They would not get a choice....they would get clean. After they are clean, they would be placed into some sort of trades or educational program that would give them some employment skills. Spit them out the other end and hopefully they can become useful members of society. The "rehabilitated" would be given two more chances to go through the system....on the third failure *BANG*.

You are correct...you cannot force someone to stay clean. But you can force someone to get clean. And you can provide a strong incentive for them to turn their life around (precious, precious life!)

I know it all sounds very draconian to you lefty types....but I am not proposing we walk away from these people....quite the opposite. I am talking about pouring millions/billions into this problem and getting it done.
It won't happen....no one will want to pay for it....but I can dream.

Well, already you're confusing detox and rehab. Detox simply gets someone physically off drugs/alcohol. And yes, many people complete it successfully. Many people have completed it successfully, several times over. Unfortunately, people quickly return to their old ways because the issues that drove them to use in the first place, remain.

And if you think the threat of death will be an incentive, remember, you're dealing with people who risk their lives to get drugs, then risk their lives again when they ingest those drugs. Addicts aren't afraid of dying, they're afraid of living. The reason they are on the streets in the first place, is because living the life that you and I do is more than they can bear. They've lost those coping skills, if they ever had them. And going back to using will ALWAYS be easier than dealing with life.

The fact that you're willing to spend billions and billions of your tax dollars (precious, precious tax dollars) doesn't fix the fact that you're looking at this in a totally backwards way. What you're proposing simply wouldn't work, even with unlimited resources.

And what the hell is a lefty type? :135:
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Meh.
I figured my explanation would fall on deaf ears.
Anyhoo...on with the Leon Ave horror show! :130:

2)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Leifer wrote:Meh.

have you ever seen the horror show in front on of inn from the cold, not much better
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

have you ever seen the horror show in front on of inn from the cold, not much better

I have not.
But I do keep an office down on Leon and Water....and have the pleasure of interacting with allot of these model citizens on a daily basis. Stepping around feces, discarded trash, needles, vomit, and used condoms daily. Had one fine fellow try to corner me in Chapman Parkade one evening after he decided the stairs up required a toll. :biggrin: Pretty sure he was harmless....but he did offer to put a knife between my ribs for free.

2)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

these scumbags deserve nothing, they are not your average homeless street people that prefer to be left alone that sit in front of a door asking for change at the most,

these are criminal junkies that want --everything for free they are pure scumbags,when we are hard at work making ends meet they are hard at work , robbing assaulting, breaking into hard working peoples homes and cars for there next high

they bring and offer nothing to any community except crime
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Leifer wrote:I have not.
But I do keep an office down on Leon and Water....and have the pleasure of interacting with allot of these model citizens on a daily basis. Stepping around feces, discarded trash, needles, vomit, and used condoms daily. Had one fine fellow try to corner me in Chapman Parkade one evening after he decided the stairs up required a toll. :biggrin: Pretty sure he was harmless....but he did offer to put a knife between my ribs for free.

I hope you gave him a free trip down the stairs.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I hope you gave him a free trip down the stairs.

Nope.
I managed to talk my way out of it.
Although he looked smaller than me (and somewhat sickly) he had that crazy twitchy, tweeker look going on.....and the knife.
Again....I don't think he was too committed to the mugging. I laughed his threat off and pushed past him (although inside I was cringing at the thought of getting a knife in the back as I went by). Informed security at the gate and called the RCMP to explain what happened.
Never saw that guy again.

2)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

glad you made it home safe after a days work :up:
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Back at you man :)
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

:130:

I probably just lack your advanced understanding of addictions and treatment. What do you expect from a left typer?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

ANY part of that story is a forewarning about what is going to happen if they build the Tourist Center downtown, with facilities open 24-7. Vandalism, urination, drug use, condoms, sleeping in the open washrooms, etc. All is going to be happening right downtown. I am hoping Kelowna is rethinking the project.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Downtown Kelowna you mean - this article has to do with West Kelowna - different city. There has been a noticeable increase of undesirable behaviour in the area.

A West Kelowna Church and two schools have new neighbours living in tents, just down the road.

At least five people are living in tents on Emmanuel Church's property, right beside Highway 97 and Glen Canyon Regional Park.

Three tents and several dogs are visible from the highway, tucked behind the trails.

The lead pastor at Emmanuel Church said they are aware of the people living on their property.

“We haven’t traditionally policed down in the gully areas because for many years homeless have lived down there,” said Jeff Bjorgan. “Certainly, if there are concerns from the neighbours we will investigate and tell the people living down there to remove themselves from the premises”

A Castanet reader said he was concerned about how close the people were living to the school.

“This is a long-term problem,” said Bjorgan. “It’s not new that people have been living in the Glen Canyon area.

Bjorgan added there is a homeless situation on the West Side and “we need to learn how to deal with it.”

“When we tell them to leave our property they will find another piece of property to live on.”

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#191849

It's going to get worse if ignored.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I do realize the story is from West Kelowna, but, my point is, many parts of that story, could be a news story about the problems going to happen at the new TC IF they go ahead with it in downtown Kelowna with 24 hour open facilities. Many of the businesses downtown keep their washrooms locked and you have to ask for a key to open them. When the homeless are cold and tired, they are going to do their best to try and find warmth for the night or the day, NO MATTER WHERE THEY ARE.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.

Return to “Central Okanagan”