Would you feed your kids this?

W105
Guru

Re: Would you feed your kids this?

Post by W105 »

sorry, I do not know what you mean MAP ??
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

^^ needed time to build that post ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

We should be concerned about Randy Mills and his parenting skills. How he's raising a future whiner/complainer of the Okanagan that will have sense of entitlement. He had to contact castanet about this right?
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

If Clara doesn't want to go to school because she doesn't like the lunches, her parents need to teach her to quit being such a spoiled brat and educate her about the rest of the world and a thing called starvation. The parents need a reality check and make thier child the food they wish her to eat. The world doesn't revolve around three people.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

On the soup idea... I instantly thought about this song
Last edited by ferri on Mar 26th, 2017, 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed youtube link
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Gixxer wrote:We should be concerned about Randy Mills and his parenting skills. How he's raising a future whiner/complainer of the Okanagan that will have sense of entitlement. He had to contact castanet about this right?

We should be concerned that apparently an entire generation of kids were taught that it's OK to talk trash about people and call them entitled just because they have standards.

When does sharing an "opinion" about a family being entitled, spoiled, brats, arse-holes, and all the other callous names they've been called stop being valid criticism and enter the territory of cyber-bullying?
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

^^^ I couldn't agree with you more Jolly Green. This absolutely is an example of cyber bullying and continued attack that seems to be acceptable against "Millenials" simply because they refuse being served a pile of crap and grinning like a moron while thanking their master. I am proud of this Dad who realized there was a wrong and gave all parents a reason to investigate.

I am a pretty conscientious parent. Almost always I make my children lunch, but once in awhile I let them have the hot lunch as a treat (like pizza day). But too, I have been going through a major illness and I've been in and out of the hospital many times. This leaves my exceedingly busy husband as pretty much a "single Dad" and there have been weeks when out of time, patience and being exhausted he has let the kids have "hot lunch". It is very difficult to look at a school menu and decide about the quality of lunch your children will get. Assumptions that if the school were endorsing it and it was under the direction of a dietician and a chef - seem like it would be a reasonable choice. In the case of Chief Tomat we now know better.

Even the best intentioned makes mistakes, we get tired, we get busy, and we assume the people we have entrusted our children's welfare to are equally doing their best. Clearly this story is a cautionary tale that we can't assume anything.

Bummer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Graphite wrote:If Clara doesn't want to go to school because she doesn't like the lunches, her parents need to teach her to quit being such a spoiled brat ...

One day of not looking forward to a lunch doesn't make a spoiled brat. Her parents are obviously concerned about what's being served and that's a good thing.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Gixxer wrote:We should be concerned about Randy Mills and his parenting skills. How he's raising a future whiner/complainer of the Okanagan that will have sense of entitlement. He had to contact castanet about this right?

I don't think so .. I think their parenting skills should be lauded for teaching their kid(s) good , healthy eating habits..

And did you think Truderp's CBC would cover this story ??
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

MAPearce wrote:And did you think Truderp's CBC would cover this story ??

Do you think this is a story worth covering? I certainly don't.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Like others have expressed, a troublesome thing for me is the number of people who are jumping to the school's defence and being downright nasty to the parents. I am fearful that children all over are being subjected in their own homes to food that does not promote good health and thus good learning.

This is lowest-common-denominator eating, and those who are deriding the parents are clearly acquiescent to it.

Parents whose challenges require it, have one, and only one purchase choice here---the school's offering. The school has a monopoly on the 'food for sale' scenario, and it shows.

It is the school's mandate to educate, not validate. Children remember things as they reach adulthood, so while some here in this thread may be concerned about how many servings fruits and vegetables might get tossed if provided, let's not forget that as children get older---even those who are fed processed EVERYTHING at home---their being, at the very least, exposed to quality food will help them if they choose to refine their tastes later on in life.

It is easier to rise to high expectations than it is to stumble over low ones.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Do you think this is a story worth covering? I certainly don't.

I do INDEED ...

This story has a lot to offer IF you consider the health effects AND costs related to improper eating. Heart disease , diabetes cancers , obesisty et al would NOT cost the health care system the billions it does IF we change our way of eating and where we spend our money..

If people could afford good food and knew how to eat properly , the aforementioned diseases would be easily "managed" and not add an extra , unnecessary burden to our "health" care system.. I can't believe that all of those that suffer from obesity do so because they want to be that way , but rather because it's the only affordable option available for them to feed their families..

It's easy for a struggling single parent or family to feed their hungry ones a bag of 50 cent , bag of No Name "Itchibum" noodles or macaroni and cheese over a healthier option just to provide "food" . For many low income families it's the only option..

It has tragic consequences for the people who eat it and creates unnecessary hardship for an already strained "health" care system and IMO , it's backwards..

"We" should be teaching our population to BE healthy from the start by teaching how to eat properly and do what we can to make it viable financially.. Schools serving cheap crap to stay within a budget isn't right .

This is a national problem IMO because what we think is a "health" care system is actually a sick care system..We don't have a system that care for health.. We have a sytem that cares for the sick instead . IF we made health important enough to provide it from the grocery store or school lunch programmes , our "health " care system would cost so much.. I can't see why it's not a national story .

But then again , the CBC suck butt for more money from an election hopeful.. Gotta wonder how that's working out ?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

MAPearce wrote:I do INDEED ...

This story has a lot to offer IF you consider the health effects AND costs related to improper eating. Heart disease , diabetes cancers , obesisty et al would NOT cost the health care system the billions it does IF we change our way of eating and where we spend our money..

If people could afford good food and knew how to eat properly , the aforementioned diseases would be easily "managed" and not add an extra , unnecessary burden to our "health" care system.. I can't believe that all of those that suffer from obesity do so because they want to be that way , but rather because it's the only affordable option available for them to feed their families..

It's easy for a struggling single parent or family to feed their hungry ones a bag of 50 cent , bag of No Name "Itchibum" noodles or macaroni and cheese over a healthier option just to provide "food" . For many low income families it's the only option..

It has tragic consequences for the people who eat it and creates unnecessary hardship for an already strained "health" care system and IMO , it's backwards..

"We" should be teaching our population to BE healthy from the start by teaching how to eat properly and do what we can to make it viable financially.. Schools serving cheap crap to stay within a budget isn't right .

This is a national problem IMO because what we think is a "health" care system is actually a sick care system..We don't have a system that care for health.. We have a sytem that cares for the sick instead . IF we made health important enough to provide it from the grocery store or school lunch programmes , our "health " care system would cost so much.. I can't see why it's not a national story .

But then again , the CBC suck butt for more money from an election hopeful.. Gotta wonder how that's working out ?

Oh, I fully agree that food and health go hand in hand, and I also agree that educating people on how to eat properly and what is very important. Interestingly, a quick Google search has shown that CBC has actually covered numerous stories about food and health.

But that's not what this story is about. This story is about an underprivileged family that pays the school $3.75 per meal and is wholly dissatisfied with the result. Now true that the food does appear to me to be unappealing, but we don't know how much of it is processed and contained saturated fats - it may well be very unhealthy, or it may be healthy though poorly mass produced. The story here is that a girl took photographs of the food that her school serves her and that's it.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

But that's not what this story is about. This story is about an underprivileged family that pays the school $3.75 per meal and is wholly dissatisfied with the result. Now true that the food does appear to me to be unappealing, but we don't know how much of it is processed and contained saturated fats - it may well be very unhealthy, or it may be healthy though poorly mass produced. The story here is that a girl took photographs of the food that her school serves her and that's it.

Take a look at the picture again..

My first problem is with the Great Value "juice" box . You and I both know that one item alone contains mostly water . The second most ingredient is pure , processed sugar and the rest is all synthetic.. There is not one iota of "food" in it.

Second is the piece of "meat".. I'd be willing to bet that there is only 30% of actual meat in that thing with the rest being fillers and by products.

Third is the bun it's served in.. There just as much processed sugar in that as there is in the "juice" box ..

Sadly , you and too many others don't think that this isn't happening country wide , never mind world wide , and it doesn't need more attention..It's just a girl who took a picture of the "food" her school serves her .

So sad ....
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

There are some unknowns here that might make a difference in how you see this (although whether this is "charity" or not does not change my personal opinion.

Most schools in most districts have a lunch program of some kind. This includes schools on wealthier neighbourhood and those with more families in need. Some schools prepare the lunches in house with either school workers, volunteers, or even a cook/chef/registered Dietician. Other schools contract out their lunch program to local eateries who deliver a lunch for an approved price. These prices no matter if rich school or poor school come in under $4.00. And "most" students actually pay the $4.00 (most often $3.75) for this service. In wealthier schools, most pay, in needier neighbourhoods the lunches are free (in part subsidized by the paying student population).

Therefore, these school lunches are for the most part not free. In many cases these lunches are a completely break even prospect. And for those who claim you can't feed children "good" food for this price, I will once again remind you that many schools contract this out to local restaurants and they manage to find it worth their while. Our schools lunch program is one of the schools that do exactly this, and the lunches are way better looking than what I saw in those pictures. And we are also one if the schools where there are about 80% paying students and 20% subsidized/free.

This story has simply been a shout out to all parents to make sure what you assume is being offered meets your expectations whether you pay full price, or your subsidized. At least now you know and are making an informed choice.

Return to “Central Okanagan”