Would you feed your kids this?

fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: Would you feed your kids this?

Post by fvkasm2x »

Most of us in our 40's should be dead already it seems, based on the reactions of this "unhealthy food."

I mean most of us grew up on sugar, hot dogs, sloppy joes, Rice-a-Roni, white bread and God knows what else. Then in college we ate Ramen, Kraft Dinner and pizza pops. That's like 25 years of terrible food?

How did we all get to be this age without becoming Jabba the Hut and/or dying early?
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Except that "we're not just fine". We have record high obesity and hypertension rates and are the first generation who might not outlive the previous one.

Further, when our kids eat "junk" they're eating huge levels of hormones and unprecedented amounts of chemicals that we never had! Our "junk" food "back in the day" had piles of sugar and maybe fat. The new processed food that is served has that - and then chemicals you can't even pronounce by the boatload.

The point is, why on earth would we not do better, now that we know better?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

fvkasm2x wrote:Most of us in our 40's should be dead already it seems, based on the reactions of this "unhealthy food."

I mean most of us grew up on sugar, hot dogs, sloppy joes, Rice-a-Roni, white bread and God knows what else. Then in college we ate Ramen, Kraft Dinner and pizza pops. That's like 25 years of terrible food?

How did we all get to be this age without becoming Jabba the Hut and/or dying early?
I don't know anyone that grew up on that stuff - too expensive.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:....The point is, why on earth would we not do better, now that we know better?

Well, because an unhealthy, uneducated, demoralized population is easier to control; it's the the lowest common denominator goal.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

fvkasm2x wrote:How did we all get to be this age without becoming Jabba the Hut and/or dying early?

Well... some of the people with whom I went to school are unrecognizable. I don't hang-out with anyone from school, so when I occasionally see them out in the community it's a little stressful trying to figure out who the heck they are!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Some just refuse to learn ???????

Except that "we're not just fine". We have record high obesity and hypertension rates and are the first generation who might not outlive the previous one.

Heart diesease is also on the rise ... And what about all these "intolerance" to foods we have these days ? I doubt it's the food but rather the hormones and pesticides use to improve yields that are responsible for them ...
Last edited by MAPearce on Mar 27th, 2017, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

fvkasm2x wrote:Most of us in our 40's should be dead already it seems, based on the reactions of this "unhealthy food."

When I was a kid (our family lived in a pretty nice cave back then... :up:), my siblings and I NEVER ate that *bleep*...never.

Oh us kids longed for it...we pined for it...we envied our friends who relished in the kid heaven of a steady diet of that crap.

Later, once I was in control of my own destiny and master of my own culinary consumption sure I tried it.

I also tried smoking too...among other stupid unhealthy things.

Could never figure out why everyone raved about all those 'foods'...tasted like metal and chemicals to me.

I learned to make better sloppy joes, mac n cheese, calzones, etc from scratch and my friends, whose food I

once coveted, were soon begging to eat at my place.

My kids never got served that stuff and they don't serve it to their kids.

The jury is still far from out as to if I 'turned out okay'...

...but I'm holding my own.

I'd like to see every school aged child in the Okanagan get at least one nutritious and good tasting meal a day

and I think our schools would be a great place to ensure that.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Except that "we're not just fine". We have record high obesity and hypertension rates and are the first generation who might not outlive the previous one.

Further, when our kids eat "junk" they're eating huge levels of hormones and unprecedented amounts of chemicals that we never had! Our "junk" food "back in the day" had piles of sugar and maybe fat. The new processed food that is served has that - and then chemicals you can't even pronounce by the boatload.

Food is just a part of the equation for our health problems, stress, lifestyle choices are major influences as well.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Except that "we're not just fine". We have record high obesity and hypertension rates and are the first generation who might not outlive the previous one.

And that is loosely correlated to our childhood diets at best.

Look at the 40 year olds who are overweight and/or have health problems today. It's because they don't exercise, drink coffee, booze and smoke. There are fast food joints on every corner and the "home cooked" meals are microwaved or come in a package with preservatives. Adults with bad health are almost always people who work all day, eat crappy food and them come home and their only exercise is beer league softball.

Kids SHOULD be out exercising and playing, instead of sitting on their *bleep* playing video games, tablets, phones or on the computer. When the government has to put out programs and commercials urging kids to play just 30 minutes a day, you know you have problems. 30-40 years ago we were outside all day and night playing unless we had school or homework, so it didnt matter much if we grew up on hot dogs and sloppy joes.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

40 is still relatively young. I'd like to know how many of these people live to be 70+ or even 60+.

You and others can ignore science all you want, but what we eat is directly tied to our health. Some might get lucky and live forever by eating crap - most people won't.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I work with mostly though not exclusively with people who are 70+ and more often or not, 90+. Most of them recall growing up with homecooked meals from scratch with the farm eggs, butter, meat and vegetables. They don't understand the whole mantra of young parents today who believe that they can't have gardens because of the kids. In their day, they were the "kids" who learned how to take care of watering, weeding, planting and harvesting. That was their job. They weren't around to self entertain themselves all day, they were useful, contributing members of the family. They learned where their food came from and are stricken to think that today kids barely know what a farm looks like.

Why are most of them in their late 90's? Because they were brought up with the best food and them getting older has coincided with the best medicines and hospital treatments. It's a combo of the two. Their words, not mine.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Here's an interesting article relating to the healthy food and parents vs school scenario.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/foodanddrink/f ... li=AAggFp5

“I said (my son) should be in class eating with the other kids. I understand healthy eating, but you’re not going to tell me what to feed my child.”
According to the Calgary Board of Education’s nutrition policy, only “healthy food and beverage” options are sold or provided in the district’s schools, however it doesn’t apply to snacks or lunches packed for students by their parents.
While the board “encourages” parents to make “healthy choices” for snacks and lunches, the nutrition policy only applies to food provided by the schools.

No happy medium to be found.... anywhere.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

I can understand for what ever reason if a school wants to have a policy about snack time that only includes fruit and veg.

They probably dont want the other kids seeing the 'ol banana bread and having their whole fruit&veg idea going to heII. - but a gr1 student?? Man, get a grip.

On a side note, the story was mainly from moms perspective, so at the end of the day who knows if the kid just was separated from gen pop so the others wouldn't see. They make it sound like the kid was placed in a timeout on the floor in the hallway. Maybe he was, who knows

Damned if you do, damned if you dont these days...
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

"Snack Shamed"?...OMG, Muffin!

"Muffin" as in gluten free, peanut free, dairy free, sugar free, no animals-were-harmed-in-the-making-of,

Eco-friendly, hug a tree (but not too hard), baked in a low energy use oven, and packaged in reusable eviromentally

conscious packaging muffin, Muffin.

Kids are now being "Snack Shamed"?

I understand that the child in this story is autistic...but really folks, "snack shaming"....really?

For crying out loud!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Barney Google wrote:"Snack Shamed"?...OMG, Muffin!

"Muffin" as in gluten free, peanut free, dairy free, sugar free, no animals-were-harmed-in-the-making-of,

Eco-friendly, hug a tree (but not too hard), baked in a low energy use oven, and packaged in reusable eviromentally

conscious packaging muffin, Muffin.

Kids are now being "Snack Shamed"?

I understand that the child in this story is autistic...but really folks, "snack shaming"....really?

For crying out loud!

Personally, i dont eat anything without a face.

Kick it, shoot it, beat it into a burger. Whatever you have to do.

Veggies are good but 'ol bessy is better.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM

Return to “Central Okanagan”