Seat Belts on School Buses

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Seat Belts on School Buses

Post by GordonH »

On one hand it would keep each child safer, on the other hand in major crash the driver would have to unbuckle each kid that was unable to unbuckle themselves. Which I suspect would have huge time issue, of getting out (what happens if driver is unable to help due to serious injury or worse).

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/191 ... hool-buses

Any School district bus drivers on castanet please voice your pro's & con's to this.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Seat Belts on School Buses

Post by LTD »

whos responsible for making sure the kiddies are buckled up and remain buckled up
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

LTD wrote:whos responsible for making sure the kiddies are buckled up and remain buckled up

Guess who the only adult on the bus.... the driver.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

would you want that responsibility If theres an accident and little johny took his belt off now youre liable
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

The statistic on the safety of school buses as they are now has me convinced.

Between 2003 and 2012 there were 11 deaths in school bus accidents. In comparison 22,397 deaths in all other vehicle on Canadian roads (https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/globe- ... dmail.com&). With the exception of city buses, I would imagine the vast majority of those vehicles had seat belts.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the busses and drivers are safe I'm just looking at from the drivers point of being held responsible for a child undoing their belt
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

LTD wrote:would you want that responsibility If theres an accident and little johny took his belt off now youre liable

Me nope
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

could be a big can of worms
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

LTD wrote:could be a big can of worms

Exactly, transport Canada may want to rethink this.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

definitely need to do their homework before just making it happen another scenario if a bus has a crash now you have 50 screeeeeming kids you have to unbuckle omg :200:
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Kids don't know how to unbuckle a seat belt?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Loki2u wrote:Kids don't know how to unbuckle a seat belt?

Okay, what if bus is on its roof, kid hanging by seatbelt. Then has to unbuckle

Worse case scenario under water or on fire
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

GordonH wrote:
Loki2u wrote:Kids don't know how to unbuckle a seat belt?

Okay how if bus is on its roof, kid hanging by seatbelt. Then has to unbuckle

Worse case scenario under water or on fire

If the bus is on its roof, the kid would be safer with his seat belt on. Not being able to unbuckle it isn't a huge deal at that moment is it? The belt probably saved his life.

Fire? Water? Not to sound harsh....but these occurences are so rare and remote that it almost isn't even relevant. You are talking about a whole bunch of what if's to save a couple of children. Unfortunate events happen, people and children die on occasion unfortunately.

I agree with an above poster that ensuring kids wear them will be a bigger issue than the scenarios you are proposing.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Loki2u wrote:If the bus is on its roof, the kid would be safer with his seat belt on. Not being able to unbuckle it isn't a huge deal at that moment is it? The belt probably saved his life.

Fire? Water? Not to sound harsh....but these occurences are so rare and remote that it almost isn't even relevant. You are talking about a whole bunch of what if's to save a couple of children. Unfortunate events happen, people and children die on occasion unfortunately.

I agree with an above poster that ensuring kids wear them will be a bigger issue than the scenarios you are proposing.

I would like to hear from School Bus drivers on their opinion, since have 50 scared kids would be huge responsibility which is their job.
Would they prefer having seatbelt or continue as it is, would be nice to hear from them.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

As a tour bus driver I can tell you that I have more on my mind than if anyone hasn't fastened their seatbelt. Even if I go down the halls and ensure everyone is wearing them at every stop I can't pull over the moment one is removed.

I do believe that they should be installed, along with all the other safety features. However the only way to enforce using them is having enough adult supervision on board to do so.

Oh, in the last year I have probably seen 6 or 8 people in the front passenger side seats wearing the seatbelts. We have no way of knowing if anyone else does.

Return to “Central Okanagan”