Stipulating non-smokers is discriminatory

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Stipulating non-smokers is discriminatory

Post by Queen K »

Again, in my biz, it's easy to tell someone who has been a long term smoker. But in young people? Nope.

I guess your landlord would have to open the conversation on that one. If they have been burned in the past, ie. cig burn marks in the carpet, they'd be more interested.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

Licking an ash tray is not very appealing :135: ...so breathing in second hand smoke is no fun either. :smt045
Pets are a beautiful thing but there are some folks who are allergic OR don't take the time to care for their pet(s) properly. :-X
Music is the universal language of the world...unless its blasting at you when your trying to enjoy some quiet time at home.

I'm not sure there is an answer to all this ?
We have responsible folks and irresponsible folks.
That will never change. :-X
Last edited by artistwithaflare on Mar 24th, 2017, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just say it as it is!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

anonymouscoward777 wrote:Talking about apartment ads. They all stipulate non-smokers. That is discriminatory

The ads do not "stipulate non-smokers" - they do say
no smoking
That is not being discriminatory.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
anonymouscoward777

Post by anonymouscoward777 »

Queen K wrote:Have you ever seen the complete and total damage smoking indoors does to a living space and entire house?

And sorry, but the promise of "I won't smoke indoors" is a tough one for owners. Even in places where smokers are heavily monitered, like independent living seniors complexes, where "NO smoking" in the unit can be easily monitered, the smokers are caught sneaking smoking indoors. The tell tale signs are obvious to all. One man told me had to pay $41400 for smoke damage clean up from his mom smoking indoors. Imagine when a landlord is only doing an inspection once a year.

Doesn't matter, saying no smokers is discrimination.They can say no smoking on premises but to say no smokers does not seem like it should be legal.
anonymouscoward777

Post by anonymouscoward777 »

Fancy wrote:
anonymouscoward777 wrote:Talking about apartment ads. They all stipulate non-smokers. That is discriminatory

The ads do not "stipulate non-smokers" - they do say
no smoking
That is not being discriminatory.

Nope, they usually say "no smokers".
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

anonymouscoward777 wrote:Nope, they usually say "no smokers".
Not true - I can posts lots that say otherwise.
First one -
No Pets/Smoking.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I also love the "looking for young people "ads for work. Usually goes like' are you a young enthusiastic team player? Join our hip new team and so on. Hiring by age is definitely discriminatory. I have reported these ads.

I also thought of applying for some of the jobs for sales, since I'm over 50 and can run circles around young, know it all salespeople. Sometimes 35 years experience actually is useful. Anyways, that my rant.

PS I hate smoking and would not live in a place rented or owned by smokers. It's friken 2017 and you still smoke like a zombie slave? Have some self respect and give it up already, for yourself and the people who love you and want you to be healthy.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:spitcoffee: "like a zombi slave"! Good one Hmmm.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

anonymouscoward777 wrote:Talking about apartment ads. They all stipulate non-smokers. That is discriminatory and just because someone is a smoker does not mean they will smoke in the apartment. This should be challenged in court. Do they stipulate no drug users too?

I look at the ads for apartments and they all read like prison cells. No music, no smoking, no pets...no fun! And they want an arm and a leg for that too.

Buy your own house if you dont like the rules.

Smokers are hilarious because they say they wont smoke in the house but they use little loop holes like smoking with the window open, or in the bathroom with the fan on.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

anonymouscoward777 wrote:Doesn't matter, saying no smokers is discrimination.They can say no smoking on premises but to say no smokers does not seem like it should be legal.

It might be discrimination, but it's their house. No one needs to justify a reason why he/she allows certain people into his/her house.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Oh cmon mexicalidreamer you know that highlighted line above is complete BS. I worked with about 11 other colleagues that were non-smokers, I am a smoker, my productivity tripled all of theirs, including the managers. Of course it did. Just ask you. I know you are an ex-smoker, which doesn't surprise me, because ex-smokers are the worst for talking crap about smoking. That is true because we see it for what it is I can only guess you are referring to yourself in the above sentence, Nope so were you that knob at work that was out smoking all the time and not doing your job? Again, nope. I did however spend a lot of time on the road seeing clients and I was that knob who showed up for appointments smelling of cigarette smoke and like the poster below, believed that I was that magical person who smoke didn't cling to..Don't judge all smokers based on YOUR own actions.I don't have to judge them; they pretty much put themselves in that boat where judgement is no longer necessary because they have created a fantasy world where smoking is still considered cool and they don't smell like ashtryas and yellow is the color teeth and fingers are supposed to be.There are plenty of smokers that don't behave that way. Oddly, I haven't seen many at all. Most are just exactly what you think they are. Delusional.

Mex

What a pile of crap. No one knows I smoke unless I tell them or light up in front of them. I would bet you money that if you light up, put it out and stand anywhere within 20 feet of me or anyone who doesn't smoke, they will know. You can't work in a kitchen and not smell like food either. Or at a refinery and not smell like oil. Or a fish market and not, well, you see where that's going. People who are exposed to influences like cigarette smoke SMELL LIKE CIGARETTES. Believe me, you are not the magical exception. How do I know, because they're all surprised that I smoke. You just have a hard on for smokers.You bet I do.

Open question for all....Why such a disdain for cigarette smokers and all love for the addicted street rats?
Where does that come from?
Last edited by mexi cali on Mar 27th, 2017, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Not once. I hate the smell of it in my house no differently than any non-smoker would, just cause I smoke doesn't mean I enjoy the smell of nasty stale smoke lingering on everything. If you met me you would have NO idea that I smoke, you wouldn't smell it on me at all. I do shower, wash my clothes and brush my teeth. The ones you smell out around town either just put a smoke out, or they are nasty with their hygiene and don't bathe enough.

So, which is it? You admit that the smell of smoke "lingering on everything" is disgusting but you then go on to say that everything does not include you. That's curious, don't you think?

If you smoke, you smell like you smoke. It does dissipate in time but don't kid yourself, you finish a smoke, you smell like it. Every smoker does.

No matter what anyone has to say about smokers, smokers themselves will jump on the righteous bandwagon to defend their habit no matter what. It simply has no place in the world today as we know it. Yes, there are many other things that would fill out that list but we're not talking about obesity or alcohol or anything else right now. It's about smoking and discrimination and if you can't understand why landlords are reluctant to rent to smokers, you're not being honest with yourself.

At least you admit that it is disgusting which is why landlords can specify non-smokers. Even if you specifically wouldn't smoke inside, some would regardless of what they agreed to so as a property owner, why would you take the chance.

And don't split hairs. Whether the ad says No Smoking or Non Smokers, the message is the same and you can cry discrimination as loud and as long as you want but specifying this restriction is legal which is why you see it.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Doesn't matter, saying no smokers is discrimination.They can say no smoking on premises but to say no smokers does not seem like it should be legal.

Is that in your esteemed legal opinion?

Of course it doesn't seem like it should be legal; it prevents you from ruining someones property. At least in that way. I hear you have a bed bug problem also.

If the ad said "no bedbugs", would that be discriminatory also? And against whom? You, or the bedbugs?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Just went on a local realtor web site in their property management section and randomly opened seven listings and every one of them specified "no smoking". Basically the same thing as saying Non smokers.

What is interesting is that (slightly off track here) there were several lisitngs that offered units for 950 to 1100 or so. I thought that was reasonable. No? Nice looking places too.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I can't imagine anyone if asked to borrow, use, rent pretty much ANYTHING that they own not expecting someone

to abuse whatever it was they borrowed, used or rented.

Fact is, smoking has an odor...to many it's quite an offensive odor.

That odor clings to materials, clothing hair, hands and from there it can pass on to other materials, clothing,

upholstery, hair, etc...

If I've got something for rent, it's mine, I should be able to decide who I rent it to...if you do something I

know is going to effect my 'something' or me or someone else then I should be able to say "thanks, but no thanks".

That's not being discriminatory it's being discerning about what effects my 'something' or me or someone else.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”