Deep Water Boat Launch

Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Deep Water Boat Launch

Post by Gilchy »

Also, how is catering to Kelowna's largest or second largest industry "Catering to special interest groups", but maintaining a parking lot and ramp for less than 30 uses per 6 months not for special interest groups?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Gilchy wrote:Also, how is catering to Kelowna's largest or second largest industry "Catering to special interest groups", but maintaining a parking lot and ramp for less than 30 uses per 6 months not for special interest groups?

I don't want to create a "crossed threads" situation, as that has been discussed in the thread directly related to TK request for obtaining that land from the city for their opulent new lakefront office location. TK, when taken in context is a special interest group representing one aspect of the business community rather than the entire business community as a whole.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Kelowna's a big town with a lot of waterfront. Surely there is a spot SOMEWHERE for a deep-water boat launch. The mayor and council are not doing their job, which is making their city livable for all residents, not to mention the tourists who bring tons of money into not only the business community, but the city coffers as well.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

lasnomadas wrote:Kelowna's a big town with a lot of waterfront. Surely there is a spot SOMEWHERE for a deep-water boat launch. The mayor and council are not doing their job, which is making their city livable for all residents, not to mention the tourists who bring tons of money into not only the business community, but the city coffers as well.

Just take a look with Google Earth along Okanagan Lake from foot the of Knox Mt to where Mission Creek enters the lake. There is not hell of a lot of options, unless the city is willing to purchase a spot (pricy homes). Other then the one I mentioned earlier about Sutherland Park
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:
lasnomadas wrote:Kelowna's a big town with a lot of waterfront. Surely there is a spot SOMEWHERE for a deep-water boat launch. The mayor and council are not doing their job, which is making their city livable for all residents, not to mention the tourists who bring tons of money into not only the business community, but the city coffers as well.

Just take a look with Google Earth along Okanagan Lake from foot the of Knox Mt to where Mission Creek enters the lake. There is not hell of a lot of options, unless the city is willing to purchase a spot (pricy homes). Other then the one I mentioned earlier about Sutherland Park

Sutherland park in the north end is not a viable option - parking is non-existent, and is located in a largely residential area. Impacts on resident's parking would not be welcome - look at the debacle the suggestion of converting a portion of the park to a dog beach created last year. The urban planning manager is right in one observation - that any launch facility cater to all types of boat users, not just a segment of them. The Aqua Marine Valet boat service next to the Eldorado boat launch is a step in the right direction, but is a private enterprise and already limited in the number of clients able to utilize their services due to site constraints. No easy solution indeed - but rather than working to resolve the issue, the city is forging ahead with plans that will further hinder residents and tourists abilities to enjoy one of the biggest draws that entices both residents and visitors alike to the area.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

GordonH wrote:Just take a look with Google Earth along Okanagan Lake from foot the of Knox Mt to where Mission Creek enters the lake. There is not hell of a lot of options, unless the city is willing to purchase a spot (pricy homes). Other then the one I mentioned earlier about Sutherland Park

Don't think it necessarily has to be right in town or even on the Kelowna side of the lake. Why not utilize land already owned such as the old CNR wharf on the west side. They just spent half a million on reviving it in the first phase, maybe they should consider adding a deep water boat launch in the second.

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/1145/CNR-Wharf
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Drawback of having so much waterfront development between homes & commercial properties. Adding amenities becomes very difficult to do.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:Just take a look with Google Earth along Okanagan Lake from foot the of Knox Mt to where Mission Creek enters the lake. There is not hell of a lot of options, unless the city is willing to purchase a spot (pricy homes). Other then the one I mentioned earlier about Sutherland Park

Poindexter wrote:Don't think it necessarily has to be right in town or even on the Kelowna side of the lake. Why not utilize land already owned such as the old CNR wharf on the west side. They just spent half a million on reviving it in the first phase, maybe they should consider adding a deep water boat launch in the second.

http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/1145/CNR-Wharf

Agreed - the further from the downtown core, the better. The problem with the suggestion of the wharf on the westside is again parking. There is already a small launch area adjacent to the Gellatly ferry docks and is located beside the Westbank Yacht club. Parking there too is very limited.

ETA: In fact, I would go so far as to say, the lakefront access at Gellatly bay is something the residents of West Kelowna should be proud of, and not have it impacted by the further development of boating - it's a great lakefront boardwalk that provides excellent access to beachgoers.
Last edited by WalterWhite on Mar 21st, 2017, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Drawback of having so much waterfront development between homes & commercial properties. Adding amenities becomes very difficult to do.

It makes me wonder .. We already had this amenity ( deep water launch ) , why get rid of it in favour of a building that just doesn't suit the property ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Drawback of having so much waterfront development between homes & commercial properties. Adding amenities becomes very difficult to do.

Which is exactly why the city needs to be taken to task on this issue. Instead of working to increase access and improve amenities - they are not only removing the amenity - they're removing it so as to create yet another lakefront brick and mortar structure (on public waterfront) further reducing lakefront access to the public.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

WalterWhite wrote:Which is exactly why the city needs to be taken to task on this issue. Instead of working to increase access and improve amenities - they are not only removing the amenity - they're removing it so as to create yet another lakefront brick and mortar structure (on public waterfront) further reducing lakefront access to the public.

Good luck in dealing City politicians
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

Sutherland park in the north end is not a viable option - parking is non-existent

That's where your wrong GordonH, Sutherland Park is an viable option and has been on councils agenda for years. The plan was to re-route Popular Point Dr. from Ellis St. and Broadway along the base of Knox Mnt.and then reconnecting back on to Popular Point. The City of Kelowna owns most of the property on the southern end of PPD which would be sufficient for the parking of boat trailers etc. The dredging of the existing boat launch at Sutherland is long over-due which would need the ok from the Dept. of Fisheries but the only fish fit for the Bay for the last 50 years or so are the carp species that can adapt to any type of polluted water. The neighbors you say will not be so happy but it's the same neighbors that do all the constant complaining with case in point the Knox Mountain Hillclimb. I've spend close to 50 years of my life in the Northend and I'm back living there again, an improved boat launch is in my opinion is greatly needed for our growing city.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ were did I say that
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Straight Shooter wrote: That's where your wrong GordonH, Sutherland Park is an viable option and has been on councils agenda for years. The plan was to re-route Popular Point Dr. from Ellis St. and Broadway along the base of Knox Mnt.and then reconnecting back on to Popular Point. The City of Kelowna owns most of the property on the southern end of PPD which would be sufficient for the parking of boat trailers etc. The dredging of the existing boat launch at Sutherland is long over-due which would need the ok from the Dept. of Fisheries but the only fish fit for the Bay for the last 50 years or so are the carp species that can adapt to any type of polluted water. The neighbors you say will not be so happy but it's the same neighbors that do all the constant complaining with case in point the Knox Mountain Hillclimb. I've spend close to 50 years of my life in the Northend and I'm back living there again, an improved boat launch is in my opinion is greatly needed for our growing city.

For a deep water boat launch? Maybe we're thinking of different places because that last time I used that one I was half way out into the bay before it was deep enough to launch a jetski. Far too much dredging would be required to make it viable for even a mid-sized boat launch.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Sutherland park in the north end is not a viable option - parking is non-existent

Straight Shooter wrote:That's where your wrong GordonH, Sutherland Park is an viable option and has been on councils agenda for years. The plan was to re-route Popular Point Dr. from Ellis St. and Broadway along the base of Knox Mnt.and then reconnecting back on to Popular Point. The City of Kelowna owns most of the property on the southern end of PPD which would be sufficient for the parking of boat trailers etc. The dredging of the existing boat launch at Sutherland is long over-due which would need the ok from the Dept. of Fisheries but the only fish fit for the Bay for the last 50 years or so are the carp species that can adapt to any type of polluted water. The neighbors you say will not be so happy but it's the same neighbors that do all the constant complaining with case in point the Knox Mountain Hillclimb. I've spend close to 50 years of my life in the Northend and I'm back living there again, an improved boat launch is in my opinion is greatly needed for our growing city.

You're quoting the wrong poster - I said that in my comment, and I disagree. The launch at Sutherland Park is suitable for a car-topper, aluminum fishing boat or small day-sailor - not the sort of "commercial traffic" that a launch like the Eldorado or Water St. provides access for. Putting the work and property acquisitions you're suggesting into the overall picture makes the project even further away from the point of viability.

Return to “Central Okanagan”