Time Served After 3 Separate Assaults

foodsmith
Board Meister

Re: Time Served After 3 Separate Assaults

Post by foodsmith »

the truth wrote:
Barney Google wrote:Oh dear...I can hear it now...

"What would the sentence would have been if it was a person from another ethnic origin who had a difficult upbringing?"

this is nothing new,this is why there are so many natives in jail ,because they have this get out of jail free card attitude , because they grew up native, until there offences get too bad, then they have to start doing real time, they know the system will cut them slack and they play the system well

This is one of the most racist, prejudiced, and inappropriate rants I have ever seen on here.

Native? Native of what -- Canada? Guess what: If you were born in this country, you're a native of Canada.

I think you may have been wanting to acknowledge this person's First Nations ancestry, which is something to be proud of, just as I am sure you may be proud of your lineage.

Let's address the atrocious nature of the conviction -- or lack thereof, in this case -- but let's agree to be human about it, set the colonial BS aside, and remain objective.

Can we do that without you turning this into a thread that mirrors one of your 'Muslim-hatin' rants, Truthy?
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

"..The judge said his “tough love” childhood came into consideration in the decision..."

That was the direct quote from the article as lead-in to the following quote in the article, to which the OP referred.

The decision itself is not yet available through the Queen's Printer, so I have not yet reviewed it; that being said, the impact of one's upbringing -- regardless of heritage or cultural base -- must always be taken into account where this information is available and acceptable as evidence.

Why? It is a determinant of their developmental capacity.

For you, Truthy, let me put it simply: We haven't seen all the evidence yet as it hasn't yet been made public, but the decision so far suggests this guy "just didn't get it" and likely didn't have the capacity to "get it". Like it or not, "tough love" -- at least as this fella may have received it -- seems to have played a role in this and the Judge acknowledged it.

There is a vast amount of scientific background speaking to this: attachment injury, neurosequential model of therapeutics, child trauma studies, epigenetic studies, etc... You want references? Just ask.

Where you went sideways, ie. "racist", is where you started ranting about him being "raised Native", etc., and applying this as a generality to anyone and everyone declaring a First Nations or Aboriginal heritage, ie. "Get out of jail free card", etc...

The Judge, if anything, was very unlikely making a general address about First Peoples inability to cope with consequence; he was most likely referring to the background specific to this young man.

Let's be clear about another thing: The sentence, in my eyes, was despicably light. We agree strongly on this.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I still got nothin.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I know a lot of folks who got raised with 'tough love'.

Some of us got a lot of 'tough love' growing up...

a LOT of 'tough love'...

a LOT, a LOT.

Some of us were told we didn't get enough and should have gotten more.

Don't know too many 'attackers' in that bunch.

That being said, we havent seen/heard all the evidence yet...

...either way like many herein, 'development issues' aside, the sentence is way too lenient...

does no one consider the impact on the victims or the risks to our communities?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Gladue is a sentencing principle that recognizes that Aboriginal Canadians face racism and systemic discrimination in the criminal law system, and has the judge focus on systemic or background factors that may have played a part in bringing the offender before the courts.

In Antoine’s case, he is the grandchild of a residential school survivor. The effect that had on his mother, led to a tumultuous upbringing, marred by violence.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/new ... sentenced/
I'm not sure "tough love" is the appropriate term here.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

enable, enable, enable, millions of people have had a horrible upbringing sad but true, but still do not end up doing what he did,
Last edited by the truth on Mar 22nd, 2017, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/man- ... sentenced/
There is a comment from the family after the article.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

the truth wrote:enable, enable, enable, millions of people have had a horrible bringing sad but true, but still do not end up doing what he did,

Far from it, actually... It's not about enabling.

The Gladue principle recognizes that there is a systemic issue at play which often materializes in convictions in absence of representation by evidence for this population.

If you're looking to blame (as we know you often are) try looking more at the system that crated this mess in the first place, rather than passing it off as enabling a population and using this as another vehicle or foundation for your skewed beliefs.

If you want to affect change in a system, seek to find where the power lay within that system. Is certainly does not lay with the First Peoples of our country... That's for sure.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

ya thats it blame the system [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] give me a f :cuss: break
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

the truth wrote:ya thats it blame the system [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] give me a f :cuss: break

So - who is at fault then?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

WalterWhite wrote:
the truth wrote:ya thats it blame the system [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] give me a f :cuss: break

So - who is at fault then?

really :200: do you need to even ask, he took a machete to another mans face , no one needs to be told that taking a machete to a man face is wrong on every level, no matter how your home life was when you grew up , you people are dumbing down the native people not me, you people are the racist not me, i hold them to the same standard as the rest of us should be if we did the same thing
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 22nd, 2017, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Reason: response to off topic post
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

*removed*
Reason: personal attack
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Get back on topic and stay on topic! Thanks.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Central Okanagan”