Time Served After 3 Separate Assaults

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Time Served After 3 Separate Assaults

Post by Bsuds »

People like this guy, native or otherwise need help. They will not get any under the present system of catch and release.

We need to do more to help them and stop this vicious circle and any that aren't able to be helped need to be put somewhere were they can't hurt innocent people.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Atomoa wrote:
The thing is even with this built into our legal system, natives make up a disproportionately large portion of of prisoners. So much so it's been a point of international disgrace for sometime.

It's not that natives are criminals, it's just we've really screwed them up. Reserves and the social fabric is gone. Our little fix-it systems surely have not helped them. All this based on a few generations of rampant sexual and physical abuse hardwired into their society.

If we didnt go easy on them our prisons would be at least 50% native. No joke.

I think the outcome here is sad. This will not be the last we see of him and I feel for the guy with the scar. I would think though that with a scar like that, the criminal might find himself the victim of a unfortunate series of events at one point in time or another.

While i agree with Atamoa this kind of judgment only perpetuates the negative attitudes towards aboriginals many Canadians hold.
Governments only act if it's politically beneficial, and so this only throws compost on the situation.
It's too late to try to make things better for aboriginals when they get to the court room, you need to help them far beforehand.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

How about this one:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e19628858/

New details emerging about the accused in a vicious sexual assault on a homeless native woman in Prince Albert, Sask., depict a man who grew up in poverty on a reserve, struggled with substance abuse and has done time behind bars for a slew of charges, including stealing a pickup truck.

Marlene Bird was found in a parking lot on June 1 with half her face cut off and her legs burned so badly they had to be amputated.

Leslie Ivan Roderick Black, 29, has been charged with attempted murder and aggravated sexual assault in the attack.

He has a lengthy criminal record, which means obviously he's a reoffender. Perfect example:
On June 20, 2013, he received a ticket for being intoxicated in a public place. The next day, he got another ticket, this time for having liquor in a public place.
but now that he rapes a woman, cuts off half of her face, and then sets her on fire, they're thinking he won't violently reoffend because he seems like a good old guy.

From Castanet's article today:

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#192219

Nicholaichuk recommended Black serve his sentence in a British Columbia institution where he will be distanced from media coverage and have access to indigenous cultural programming.

Well good for him! This must mean he'll be out shortly.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

As in the incident just posted above, the claim that he didn't have a criminal history could simply be he wasn't charged on other "minor" incidents especially if they occurred on reserve, or woman was so terrified they wouldn't testify. I think it's unlikely that someone who was just fine previously, woke up one morning and attacked, burned, raped a woman, just out of the blue.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bman wrote:It's racism until it's in their favor.
It's not right at all imo.
It should be an equal law for everyone.
Maybe we should make it a misdemeanor for black peeps to smoke crack and rape.

interesting how the native community does not seem to complain about this soft on crime law are system has for natives
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Bman wrote:It's racism until it's in their favor.
It's not right at all imo.
It should be an equal law for everyone.
Maybe we should make it a misdemeanor for black peeps to smoke crack and rape.

the truth wrote:
interesting how the native community does not seem to complain about this soft on crime law are system has for natives

I doubt there has been an objective comparison of the two tiers as far as repeat offences. We don't know if our system works better or not, maybe we have just as many offenders (percentage wise) who refuse to straighten out after going through the standard justice system. Until we know that, there is no fair comparison to say the native approach is better or worse long term for the community.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

"And justice for all" does not seem to be the credo here in Canada.

Frustrating.

I really have nothing. Nothing that won't sound judgemental or hateful anyhow.

I don't hate native Canadians. I don't hate anybody for being whatever race, color, creed, religion or sexual orientation they happen to be.

I hate bad people. I really hate bad people who skate.

I really hate this guy and I don't care about his hard life. I had a hard life. I haven't taken a machete to anyone.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
waynetyea
Fledgling

Post by waynetyea »

when i was a kid they all told us that we are all equal regardless of race creed or religion... who took this away
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Currently the indigenous population represents 4% of the Canadian population yet accounts for 25% of the prison population.

Is it possible that this race based reduced sentence represents some bean counters irresponsible attempt to lower this number?. Wouldn't it be better to accept that changes have to be made to Canadian policies affecting Aboriginal, Indigenous, First Nation, Inuit and Metis people?

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3403647

Edit: just noticed atomoa already brought this up.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

They would probably save quite a few bucks just by diverting the aboriginals to Band programs, even if they funded the band programs.It happens to be more consistent with the aboriginal traditions, and who knows, likely , possibly it works even better than just sending them to jail without adequate programs which is more likely in the jail system.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

mexicalidreamer wrote:"And justice for all" does not seem to be the credo here in Canada.

Frustrating.

I really have nothing. Nothing that won't sound judgemental or hateful anyhow.

I don't hate native Canadians. I don't hate anybody for being whatever race, color, creed, religion or sexual orientation they happen to be.

I hate bad people. I really hate bad people who skate.

I really hate this guy and I don't care about his hard life. I had a hard life. I haven't taken a machete to anyone.

many -billions- of people of all color,creed, ,race etc,etc on this plant have had a horrible up bringing, its no reason to do what he did, why do natives ? get a soft on native crime in are court system
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
deedub
Fledgling

Post by deedub »

I think the offender should be moved in next to the judges house .
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

the truth wrote:
many -billions- of people of all color,creed, ,race etc,etc on this plant have had a horrible up bringing, its no reason to do what he did, why do natives ? get a soft on native crime in are court system

Why do natives what? Do you think this one person is typical of most aboriginals? Many had poor upbringing, many do not do this. Same as people of whatever other colors or creeds, you don't use one, or a few, as an example of all the rest.

This particular person committed some terrible crimes, most people would agree (I think) that the sentence didn't fit the crimes. Why use that as judgement of everyone else of the same background or upbringing?

I think our society was responsible for the way this problem developed. Our government, and our churches created a mess amongst their people, disrupted their society, did not turn out all the fine "reprogramed" natives as promised, and left the mess to fester in poor conditions on the reserves. So now our society says, well now you guys figure it out for yourselves. Some progress has been made in some bands, but there is a long way to go. It's not just their problem, it is also our government's problem as well. The churches, apparently have mysteriously stepped out of the picture, washing their hands of their part in it too. Not many people outraged about the "soft on crime" approach as far as the churches are concerned.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

“That First Nations' background means that he is not held to the same level of accountability. He is not expected that he has the same tool kit to deal with complex circumstances...,” said the judge.

I would LOVE to hear what Chief Clarence Louie has to say about this kind of statement! What on earth was the Judge thinking? I think this is extremely insulting to the many highly educated and "accountable" First Nations people who obviously have more grey matter than this Judge! The Judge is point blank saying that all Native people are a few cards short of a full deck!

Stupid things are done by people of every colour and ancestry and no one should know better about that than a Judge who sits and listens to it day after day.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

I don't know what the judge exactly meant by "First Nations Background", if he is referring to experiences or incidents that were a result of the conditions that some natives live under. It might not (and I think likely is not) be referring to some genetic deficiency in First Nations people, which would be racist if he meant that.
That doesn't mean that there are not other well educated and capable native people, the judge may be recognizing something specific in his family dynamic for instance. Since we don't know all the details, I think it's difficult to know just what he meant.

Return to “Central Okanagan”