Lakeshore Property with illegal fences & walls on beach

hutton
Fledgling

Re: Lakeshore Property with illegal fences & walls on beach

Post by hutton »

now that mother nature has reclaimed and cleaned up much of the lakes shoreline, lets hope that the opportunity clear up the clutter and enforce the laws is not wasted by the powers that be when the rebuilding of docks start.

I also wonder how much damage is done by these illegal docks as they now crash along the shore line since breaking free??

( Before a few people freak out, I am not saying ALL docks on the lake are illegal!!!)
Last edited by hutton on May 24th, 2017, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

They should also be responsible for the costs involved with cleaning up and disposing of their illegal mess.
Why do I not think the mushroom beach beautification group will take it upon themselves to clean up after this.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

hutton wrote:now that mother nature has reclaimed and cleaned up much of the lakes shoreline, lets hope that the opportunity clear up the clutter and enforce the laws is not wasted by the powers that be when the rebuilding of docks start.

I also wonder how much damage is done by these illegal docks as they now crash along the shore line since breaking free??

( Before a few people freak out, I am not saying ALL docks on the lake are illegal!!!)

Please explain what makes one dock legal and the other not . Sorry I'm not new I just have never really understood this issue . People complain about this a fair bit and from my point of view a legal dock or illegal it's about the same . Still a dock. Built exactly as good as the guy who built it .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Please explain what makes one dock legal and the other not . Sorry I'm not new I just have never really understood this issue . People complain about this a fair bit and from my point of view a legal dock or illegal it's about the same . Still a dock. Built exactly as good as the guy who built it .

Docks require permits. Some have them, some don't.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Illegal docks and those that block access along the shore should be destroyed.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's up to officials. Phone City Hall.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

westbankkid wrote:Illegal docks and those that block access along the shore should be destroyed.

It appears nature is doing a job on many of them. Unfortunately the owners will have them rebuilt
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
hutton
Fledgling

Post by hutton »

Please explain what makes one dock legal and the other not . Sorry I'm not new I just have never really understood this issue . People complain about this a fair bit and from my point of view a legal dock or illegal it's about the same . Still a dock. Built exactly as good as the guy who built it .[/quote]

There is a process in order to obtain permission to construct a dock and certain requirements that need to be followed.

This is a good place to start:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/indus ... te-moorage
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Fancy wrote:That's up to officials. Phone City Hall.

I think that has been tired, it depends how close you are to counsel. Do you recall the City property now occupied by a select few to paddle...just saying!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I was talking to someone who used to work for the branch of the Provincial Govt that regulates boat docks on Okanagan Lake, and he told me that over half of them are illegal. When I asked why nothing was being done about it I was told that part of the problem is the cost of litigation (the Govt doesn't want to pay to take these folks to court) and another part of it is that some of the folks with illegal docks have friends in high places.

Front Office BC is the Provincial Office responsible for issuing the required permits.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

Merry wrote:I was talking to someone who used to work for the branch of the Provincial Govt that regulates boat docks on Okanagan Lake, and he told me that over half of them are illegal. When I asked why nothing was being done about it I was told that part of the problem is the cost of litigation (the Govt doesn't want to pay to take these folks to court) and another part of it is that some of the folks with illegal docks have friends in high places.

Front Office BC is the Provincial Office responsible for issuing the required permits.

Yup...

Over to you LANDM...

:popcorn:
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Many of the docks that are "illegal" may have been legal in the past, but don't abide by updated regulations on new docks, so when a change of ownership is requested, the dock is now technically illegal.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Merry wrote:I was talking to someone who used to work for the branch of the Provincial Govt that regulates boat docks on Okanagan Lake, and he told me that over half of them are illegal. When I asked why nothing was being done about it I was told that part of the problem is the cost of litigation (the Govt doesn't want to pay to take these folks to court) and another part of it is that some of the folks with illegal docks have friends in high places.

I'd think take one to court have press available for trial if it goes full course and then send out a letter to all other property owners who have docks not legal.

I think it it no-one wants to be accountable for their actions and Government persons are just Paid for what??

I got a *bleep* from two Federal employees, Bill sends you to Paul and Paul then sends you to Bill telling you that is his responsibility. I should have actually followed up and called each back and asked who their immediate supervisors were and then raise had them see who's actual responsibility it was.

We as Taxpayers need to start doing this to make these people accountable.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Karma's a *bleep*. One of the beaches I frequent, a dude that built a wall had his entire dock swallowed by the lake last week. It's completely gone. Funny when that happens. Next time I see him, I'll ask him if he needs help building the wall again if the lake takes that too. [icon_lol2.gif]
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

forum wrote:Karma's a *bleep*. One of the beaches I frequent, a dude that built a wall had his entire dock swallowed by the lake last week. It's completely gone. Funny when that happens. Next time I see him, I'll ask him if he needs help building the wall again if the lake takes that too. [icon_lol2.gif]

Sorry to read people enjoying what's happened to those that have lost structures that could easily damage someone else's property including those on the water.

Return to “Central Okanagan”