Is Rutland really that bad?

whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Is Rutland really that bad?

Post by whatwhat »

the truth wrote:i call bs on feedoms door and how they will run a dry house, 51 guys -addicts - living in that building you will always have a good amount using,they will not kick out most guys caught using or they will not have a full building most times, and if the building is not full it will not pay the bills
some of there guys will be on parole ,they are and have been in there other locations and will be in this one,

Just an fyi, Freedom's door is not one singular building. The organization has 5 homes around town and in total house 50 clients (so 10 guys a house).

ETA: The houses are also step based. So "house one" is where addicts first come to deal with their addiction, get initial help and therapy. Once they are clean and reach a certain level in their recovery they move into 1 of 3 homes where they continue to recover (but relapse is minimal since they are further into their recovery). The 5th house is the last one where they go to continue clean living, but also to transition into independent living.
Last edited by whatwhat on Apr 8th, 2017, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hail Satan y'all
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

foodsmith wrote:
sorry but i call bs -- you say most addicts will give there shirts off their backs to help to help someone --, i think not, more like they are stealing what ever they can for there next high when people are hard at work

i call bs on feedoms door and how they will run a dry house, 51 guys -addicts - living in that building you will always have a good amount using,they will not kick out most guys caught using or they will not have a full building most times, and if the building is not full it will not pay the bills
some of there guys will be on parole ,they are and have been in there other locations and will be in this one.

So much fear in this, Truthy... I'd love to just sit, have a chat over a cuppa and try to truly understand the root of it all. It's not hate; it's not even anger like I used to think it was -- it's just good old fear... Given the circumstances, it's perfectly understandable.

When faced with something we either don't understand or can't control we often tend to fill in the blanks -- and that's all I see with you when discussing this topic: filling in the blanks with blanket presumptions or universal generalization about this population.

How many people living in this residence are practicing Lawyers? Professionals? People who have come from backgrounds of success that fell into a pattern of behaviour which ultimately found them at Freedom's Door?

Addiction doesn't discriminate. It doesn't care who you are, where you came from, how you pay your bills, if you pay your bills, what your significant other thinks about politicians or how you like your steak cooked. Your addicted brain just asks one simple question: When's next?

So, chances are there will be fellas on parole in this home (and for some that's what it will be: "home"). Equally so, chances are you interact with numerous parolees and people in recovery throughout your day and don't even know it; heck, we've been back and forth for how long on this issue now and I finally felt it was time for some quid pro quo on my part. Was there ever any indication of my own history of struggle? Nope. I don't talk about me much... I'm not very relevant, to be honest.

My point in this is that we tend to focus here on the idea that recovery means you're coming from the world of ten-speed riding, cop out-running, purse-snatching addiction... And more often than not that is just not the case. It's pretty rare, actually. And, for the record, in my experience both personally and professionally your average street-dependent addict would do a lot more to help you than harm you.

Sure, some fall deeper and harder than others and will need more guidance -- but all that says to me is we just need to offer a stronger arm, a steadier hand, and a good sense of belonging when they choose to reach up for a lift so they can learn to stand on their own two feet again.

Brotherhood goes a long way, Truthy. 51 units can equate to a massive amount of change in a community that is wrought with addictions and drug issues.

It takes a village, eh?!...

What does this long rambling post have to do with the topic?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

I would not want to live next door to this building or any apartment. If a building of this nature was to be built in my neighbourhood on land that is zoned for such a building and there were other apartments/condos in area, I would be ok with it.
If the home is run as a dry residence, it will have little impact on the neighbourhood. For the record, I know of someone who was evicted from Freedom's Door a couple weeks ago because he used. Once.
We have similar recovery housing units for women such as the NOW Canada buildings. They are well-run and quiet. They have programs for residents and have zero tolerance for drug use. I haven't heard of any negative impact on neighbours.
The benefits of the site chosen likely include close to amenities and bus route.
Rutland may have also been chosen because of a piece of land becoming available that fit within budget was located there.
I have lived in Rutland and would rather live in Rutland than downtown.
Is this the right site for this development? It is if it is an appropriate site for an apartment or condo, otherwise not.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Ah the Rutland debate. When my family re-located back to Canada in '71 after living 4 1/2 yrs in California my dad transferred to Kelowna and built a new home in a brand spanking new neighbourhood in Rutland. That home was on Venus Rd. and like most homes back then, had a good sized 1/4 acre lot, something you don't get in most Kelowna neighbourhoods. I grew up there and I'll always be a Rutland girl at heart. Other than an 8 month stay in an apt in the Capri area, all my homes have been in Rutland. I lived in a co-op housing townhouse on Nickle road for 9 years, a couple of blocks from the notorious Hein rd with no problems. Well, there was a crack house beside us, but then someone blew it up and they relocated. Then I bought a home on Mitchel road in the Springvalley neighbourhood, lived there for 6 yrs before buying a townhouse back on the 'other side of the tracks' on Franklyn rd. Lived there, across from the treatment centre with no problems, other than the road noise which drove me mental before selling and moving out here to NS. Ironically, when I bought my home here, it's in a neighbourhood that is identical to Rutland, so, I feel completely at home. If I were to move back to the Okanagan (which I won't), I wouldn't hesitate to move back to my roots in Rutland.

Is Rutland really that bad? No, no it is not bad, at all. As many have said, no matter what area of town you live in, there will always be that one block or area that is undesirable.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

^

Rutland isn't that bad. In terms of how rough it is, if you haven't travelled much you'd think it was Aleppo. The Kelowna bubble effect yet again.

Trouble is we have so many million $ neighbourhoods and people are so indebted for their house made of matchsticks and faux class, fake rock, three overpriced import cars, and a garage full of depreciating crap that they look down their nose on a working class blue collar neighbourhood.

Kelowna's not all that. It's a nice place, but don't be looking down on other people. The snobs of Kelowna are awful people.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

lightspeed wrote:Rutland isn't that bad. In terms of how rough it is, if you haven't travelled much you'd think it was Aleppo. The Kelowna bubble effect yet again.

I couldn't agree more. :up:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rutland has many desirable areas right with in it. Having worked there for a few months really opened my eyes to how many great areas there are.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

I have lived in Rutland 25 years, nice neighbourhood, terrific neighbours, good shopping, no complaints. Raised our girls here, made them strong in character and aware of their surroundings, just like it would be in any other area of Kelowna, even use the transit system regularly without too many complaints, Queensway exchange was/is the scariest part of that.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[qute="foodsmith"]
the truth wrote:
tdewar wrote:They can build it next to your house then.

So ya know Lightspeed myself and my children live less than a block from the Petro-Can on Richter. I see the effects of of addiction every day multiple times a day. Guess what though? The majority of the addicts I see would give the shirt off their backs to help another person. They are the first to say "excuse me" if you were to accidentally bump into each other walking down the street. They are full of the compassion and empathy that so many in this town and others lack. They are the least judgmental people you will ever meet as they know first hand that you never know just what that other person is having to deal with in their lives. They do not wish to make you or anyone else feel uncomfortable and certainly do not wish to burden others with their problems. That is why it is so hard for an addict to seek out help. Yes there are addicts who Lie, Cheat, Steal, or do other equally bad or even worse things to others. But if you were to run the numbers I am sure you would find no more evil amongst those that are addicts than you would amongst yourselves. Bad people are bad people whether they do drugs or not. The addicts are just the ones that are the easiest to blame. What about the contracters who steal your money and dont do the job or do a very crappy job? The slick con men who steal peoples life savings while playing the role of investment broker? The real estate agents who drive the cost of housing through the roof to the point you have to be rich to live here anymore. The cops who get off on assaulting homeless people or those in positions of trust who prey on children. No I am pretty sure there is a whole lot more evil among your neighborhoods you should be concerned about than men who suffer an illness trying to better themselves.

sorry but i call bs -- you say most addicts will give there shirts off their backs to help to help someone --, i think not, more like they are stealing what ever they can for there next high when people are hard at work

i call bs on feedoms door and how they will run a dry house, 51 guys -addicts - living in that building you will always have a good amount using,they will not kick out most guys caught using or they will not have a full building most times, and if the building is not full it will not pay the bills
some of there guys will be on parole ,they are and have been in there other locations and will be in this one,[/quote]

So much fear in this, Truthy... I'd love to just sit, have a chat over a cuppa and try to truly understand the root of it all. It's not hate; it's not even anger like I used to think it was -- it's just good old fear... Given the circumstances, it's perfectly understandable.

When faced with something we either don't understand or can't control we often tend to fill in the blanks -- and that's all I see with you when discussing this topic: filling in the blanks with blanket presumptions or universal generalization about this population.

How many people living in this residence are practicing Lawyers? Professionals? People who have come from backgrounds of success that fell into a pattern of behaviour which ultimately found them at Freedom's Door?

Addiction doesn't discriminate. It doesn't care who you are, where you came from, how you pay your bills, if you pay your bills, what your significant other thinks about politicians or how you like your steak cooked. Your addicted brain just asks one simple question: When's next?

So, chances are there will be fellas on parole in this home (and for some that's what it will be: "home"). Equally so, chances are you interact with numerous parolees and people in recovery throughout your day and don't even know it; heck, we've been back and forth for how long on this issue now and I finally felt it was time for some quid pro quo on my part. Was there ever any indication of my own history of struggle? Nope. I don't talk about me much... I'm not very relevant, to be honest.

My point in this is that we tend to focus here on the idea that recovery means you're coming from the world of ten-speed riding, cop out-running, purse-snatching addiction... And more often than not that is just not the case. It's pretty rare, actually. And, for the record, in my experience both personally and professionally your average street-dependent addict would do a lot more to help you than harm you.

Sure, some fall deeper and harder than others and will need more guidance -- but all that says to me is we just need to offer a stronger arm, a steadier hand, and a good sense of belonging when they choose to reach up for a lift so they can learn to stand on their own two feet again.

Brotherhood goes a long way, Truthy. 51 units can equate to a massive amount of change in a community that is wrought with addictions and drug issues.

It takes a village, eh?!...[/quote]

not this village, i do not want anyone raising my kids but me,thats why i have trouble free kids, just like i do not want to raise other peoples kids

this town is infested with drugs and drug addicts--sad but true , save --it takes a village ,eh--for someone else's fantasy bedtime story
if you people can not raise your kids, try not having any, all we have now is junkies raising junkies
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

Junkies raising junkies?
Not sure where this comes from at all, but what an odd response that was...

As for the fantasy bedtime story -- you're going to preach about having 'trouble free kids' and tell us about fantasy?

No need for anything further there, good sir... You've established your credibility quite clear enough.

Rutland survives despite it's stigma because of its unshakably strong foundation -- and that is a sense of community regardless of the background or backstory of its fantastic and richly diverse citizens.

The only thing that makes Rutland anywhere as bad as it may appear to those outside of its borders are citizens like yourself -- the ones that look down on others from afar and refuse to face the fact that we are all different yet bring abundance in opportunity to connect.

You rely on construction of barriers to positive growth rather than seeing how awesome spaces like Rutland not only are, but how awesome they can be if we choose to make invite possibility.

So why is Rutland perceived as so bad? Too many naysayers, and for decades there just wasn't enough of the heart or fight left in a lot of us to prove the likes of you wrong... Until recently, that is.

This community will grow with or without you, and it will be positive regardless of your constant humbugging.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I read an interesting tidbit on Rutland's reputation years ago (I forget the source) that made complete sense to me. Rutland's bad rep dates back to the early days of horse and buggy. The 'city' folk, living and working around downtown and the lake looked down on the country bumpkins who lived way out in the sticks of Rutland. Kind of the same scenario as Little House on the Prairie. So if this is true, Rutland has rocked the bad boy/girl rep for a very long time. Something to be proud of really. :D
IER

Post by IER »

How ignorant of that woman to post that. Just because some people live in fancier homes doesn't mean they have more class than those who don't.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

foodsmith wrote:Junkies raising junkies?
Not sure where this comes from at all, but what an odd response that was...

As for the fantasy bedtime story -- you're going to preach about having 'trouble free kids' and tell us about fantasy?

No need for anything further there, good sir... You've established your credibility quite clear enough.

Rutland survives despite it's stigma because of its unshakably strong foundation -- and that is a sense of community regardless of the background or backstory of its fantastic and richly diverse citizens.

The only thing that makes Rutland anywhere as bad as it may appear to those outside of its borders are citizens like yourself -- the ones that look down on others from afar and refuse to face the fact that we are all different yet bring abundance in opportunity to connect.

You rely on construction of barriers to positive growth rather than seeing how awesome spaces like Rutland not only are, but how awesome they can be if we choose to make invite possibility.

So why is Rutland perceived as so bad? Too many naysayers, and for decades there just wasn't enough of the heart or fight left in a lot of us to prove the likes of you wrong... Until recently, that is.

This community will grow with or without you, and it will be positive regardless of your constant humbugging.

fyi i live in rutland,, and i do not want like many on here and i do believe about 200 locals at that meeting ,also do not want the 51 unit complex full of junkies and drunks built in rutland

i forget do you live in rutland ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

Lived in Rutland since 1983, chum... And damn proud of it.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well we have one thing in common [icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Central Okanagan”