Cheap rentals on ALR land

johnrae
Fledgling

Cheap rentals on ALR land

Post by johnrae »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#194143

We should really keep an eye on this. I think the ALR land owners are looking to use their land for rental income. They purchased the land cheap and pay very little in taxes but are looking for more income. This is a smoke screen if I ever seen one. I am seeing huge buildings(Old Vernon RD + Scotty Creek)+ (Hwy 33 + Springfield )that are being built on prime agricultural land and I don't know how the building permits are passing. For years ALR land was for growing,not for restaurants, packaging plants and housing rental units. I sure hope the square footage is measured out and the tax rate will be at the proper rate for the land that is not being used for growing ect.... What the heck is going on?????
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Cheap rentals on ALR land

Post by Jflem1983 »

Support a farmers right to earn a living . F the beaurocrats
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
tabanner

Post by tabanner »

Farmland in Kelowna is cheap?? [icon_lol2.gif]
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

what are they supposed to make a living off of a hay field? there is nowhere to rent and people *bleep* about cheap rentals? get rid of the ALR and let people do what they want with their own land
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 12th, 2017, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the one on scotty creek is a packing plant/ storage facility and isn't an issue other than the poor location the one at springfield and 33 on the other hand well we all know whats going on there don't we mister mayor
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

tabanner wrote:Farmland in Kelowna is cheap?? [icon_lol2.gif]

You're correct further to the speculation or assumptions made. In the recent year even holding Weddings on orchard land and putting up temporary shelters I believe has be slowed and possibly stopped.

Not sure where this information comes from, how reliable it is on this topic presented.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

It is about time, get rid of alr under a certain number of acres. There toooooooo many parcels that are too small to make a living and have turned into dumping grounds, clean that up and get rid of an old useless law in any city, our city in areas that looks like a dump.ALR is good in the right places, who made this stupid law in the first place? That party has no business running this province. When you make a law have some common sense to it. :smt045 :130:
tabanner

Post by tabanner »

johnrae wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-194143-1-.htm#194143

We should really keep an eye on this. I think the ALR land owners are looking to use their land for rental income. They purchased the land cheap and pay very little in taxes but are looking for more income. This is a smoke screen if I ever seen one. I am seeing huge buildings(Old Vernon RD + Scotty Creek)+ (Hwy 33 + Springfield )that are being built on prime agricultural land and I don't know how the building permits are passing. For years ALR land was for growing,not for restaurants, packaging plants and housing rental units. I sure hope the square footage is measured out and the tax rate will be at the proper rate for the land that is not being used for growing ect.... What the heck is going on?????

My suggestion would be to go buy a 5-20 acre farm within Kelowna city limits and see how it goes. :smt045 The little in property tax savings is far outweighed by the time and effort it takes to keep a farm running, never mind turning a profit at the cost of land in Kelowna. And if you don't think BC Assessment is already doing a fantastic job of checking up on (I was going to say harassing, but that might be too strong of a word) farmers, monitoring what is going on on farm land and reassessing when other buildings are being erected, you're mistaken.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

alfred2 wrote:It is about time, get rid of alr under a certain number of acres. There toooooooo many parcels that are too small to make a living and have turned into dumping grounds, clean that up and get rid of an old useless law in any city, our city in areas that looks like a dump.ALR is good in the right places, who made this stupid law in the first place? That party has no business running this province. When you make a law have some common sense to it. :smt045 :130:

That is a good place to start. There is no good farming reason for having a house a garage and paved parking on 1/3 acre lot in the ALR. There are several like this on Sexsmith Road.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--1-.htm
"I was shocked to see clouds of dirt being churned up and floating off the photogenic ridge this morning (June 7). We, the residents of Gallagher's Canyon are appalled. Is nothing sacred and safe from the almighty developers' wallet?"
People were calling and saying how dare the city let them develop this land.

Nothing stands in the way of progress 'er agriculture.
Waste not
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

They are clearing the land to plant an orchard. It's zoned for agriculture. There is a right to farm act.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Grandan wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--1-.htm
"I was shocked to see clouds of dirt being churned up and floating off the photogenic ridge this morning (June 7). We, the residents of Gallagher's Canyon are appalled. Is nothing sacred and safe from the almighty developers' wallet?"
People were calling and saying how dare the city let them develop this land.

Nothing stands in the way of progress 'er agriculture.

You had me at "residents of Gallagher's Canyon". Sitting in their country club homes, carved out of a once pristine forest. Hypocrite much? It's cherry trees - fortunately not another overpriced country club development for recently arrived elite.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Kinda shocked to see people complain about farming and cheap rental options.

I guess people will complain about anything.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I shudder to think what our town would look like without the ALR. Anyone else remember the bucolic nature of the Glenmore valley before the gong show of development that went on when it was released from the land reserve? It took 20 years to even come close to fixing everything that was done wrong there and it's still a work in progress. Our long history of pro-development city governments would have had every inch of available flat land covered in ugly walled developments by 1995 if they'd been allowed to.

I'm not saying the ALR is perfect, but I think overall it's served us pretty well. ALR land isn't cheap and the tax breaks only come if you attain farm status, which isn't automatically attached to ALR land, you have to prove that you're producing and selling a certain amount to get it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”