Another Liquor Store in Glenmore

khutchi
Fledgling

Another Liquor Store in Glenmore

Post by khutchi »

https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetin ... entId=6885

You can't make this stuff up. The new conservatory development commercial centre is going have, right in the centre, Glenmore's second liquor store. Two is probably the right number but why put them side by side?! Brandt's creek liquor store is only 1.7km away! Thank goodness nearby residents living in the area (e.g. Trane Development's 200 unit row, excuse me, affordable, housing) won't have to brave the 3 min walk up mission < edit: Brand'ts thank you NoisyBoater>creek to kane rd to get there 2-6. And as for the benefits/reasoning...

"The presence of the small retail liquor store will reduce the need for nearby residents to drive to other neighbourhoods."

City council staff believes that the Conservatory is in a different NEIGHBOURHOOD than Brandt's Creek?! That's where the nearest grocery store is!

Reality check: The real reason they are going improve an RLS license is --> "In October of 2015, Council approved DP15-0161, allowing the development of a commercial plaza at the south end of the property commonly known as The Conservatory. Since that approval, the developer has constructed 4 of the 5 buildings proposed for the site, and is preparing to construct the 5th"

Council 101: Give us housing and we'll let you put anything around it :130: Just my opinion... Glenmore residents should throw this back in council's face at public hearing. Would be interested in people's thoughts...
Last edited by khutchi on Apr 22nd, 2017, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Another Liquor Store in Glenmore

Post by WalterWhite »

Too bad - that area needs a cannabis dispensary :)
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

Don't know what your definition of side by side is, but 1.7k is not mine. Hell, Lake Country has three within a three block radius of each other...
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

No surprise. Kelowna is pretty much soaked in booze.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Maybe they will have a pub there. .that is the far South end of Glenmore...we dont hang around with them.. :130:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

In 2017, we still have moral outrage over liquor store locations?
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Now I can walk over and grab a 6 pack to go along with my cookie dough blizzard. Its Mill Creek not Mission Creek so your geography is off a bit but this wont stop me from blizzards n beer. !!!!!!!
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Coulda been a church [icon_lol2.gif]
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Or maybe its Brandts Creek ?? I am positive there will be a know it all to correct me if I made a mistake. I do know or sure its not Mission Creek.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

khutchi wrote:https://kelownapublishing.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=6885

You can't make this stuff up. The new conservatory development commercial centre is going have, right in the centre, Glenmore's second liquor store. Two is probably the right number but why put them side by side?! Brandt's creek liquor store is only 1.7km away! Thank goodness nearby residents living in the area (e.g. Trane Development's 200 unit row, excuse me, affordable, housing) won't have to brave the 3 min walk up mission creek to kane rd to get there 2-6. And as for the benefits/reasoning...

"The presence of the small retail liquor store will reduce the need for nearby residents to drive to other neighbourhoods."

City council staff believes that the Conservatory is in a different NEIGHBOURHOOD than Brandt's Creek?! That's where the nearest grocery store is!

Reality check: The real reason they are going improve an RLS license is --> "In October of 2015, Council approved DP15-0161, allowing the development of a commercial plaza at the south end of the property commonly known as The Conservatory. Since that approval, the developer has constructed 4 of the 5 buildings proposed for the site, and is preparing to construct the 5th"

Council 101: Give us housing and we'll let you put anything around it :130: Just my opinion... Glenmore residents should throw this back in council's face at public hearing. Would be interested in people's thoughts...

It's really not a big deal.
VitC
Fledgling

Post by VitC »

khutchi - so what? :130:
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Noisy Boater wrote:Or maybe its Brandts Creek ?? I am positive there will be a know it all to correct me if I made a mistake. I do know or sure its not Mission Creek.

I know for a fact that Brandt's Creek runs parallel with Valley Road as it passes by the Conservatory. Curiously, it used to be called Bolton Creek on Gov't maps from the '60's
Glenmore has some of the least amount of businesses available for residents, it is stupid and ridiculous for Glenmore residents to need to travel outside the community to access basic services. There is still but one Gas Station in Glenmore for 20,000 residents. Two Liquor Stores is not going make us stand out in the crowd and make us look like lushes. My wife makes all our wine so they never see us at the bottle depot with scores of wine bottles
Waste not
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

WalterWhite wrote:Too bad - that area needs a cannabis dispensary :)

Can't have that... be warned...
It starts with the marijuana. Next thing you know they'll be listening to swing music and dancing with the colored folk.

-Jeff Sessions

Better make sure we keep everyone rowdy, loud and drunk, far better!

:130:

Seriously though, so what? So much NIMBY in this town!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Cause for celebration. There simply cannot be too many likker dispensaries in any town, ever. I just about had a stroke when I walked into the RCSS in WK a few weeks back and saw the beautiful display of beautiful wine bottles full of actual beautiful BC wine. Finally, a step out of the dark ages.

Our European visitors can no longer tsk tsk us for our puritanical likker laws.

More please.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Wow - talk about making a stink over nothing.

Who cares? Are you an owner of a competing retail outlet? Do you somehow believe that having more retail outlets will encourage people to drink more?

Return to “Central Okanagan”