Should police be able to demand breath samples anytime?

Sparki55
Guru

Re: Should police be able to demand breath samples anytime?

Post by Sparki55 »

Bsuds wrote:If you have something to hide and don't want anyone to know then stop doing it. If you have trouble stopping then get some help!

Maybe I have something to hide and don't want anyone to know about it and also don't want any help. Why is privacy so frowned upon.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

I also wonder why the feds would want to just pull someone over if there is no benefit. Seems like a waste of time, unless stats actually show that by randomly doing it, it actually catches a great number of people with crap to hide.
When on day shift a few times, I have been followed by a police cruiser, and I knew he was running my plate. Then, I suppose when nothing came back, they took the next turn, and I was on my way again.
I can only imagine the feeling in your stomach when a cop car comes up behind you and you have something you don't want them to know about.
Sorry, I'm with Truth on this one. I have nothing to hide, and as one poster thought it to be in the best interest of this discussion to crap on him about "being perfect", etc, it has NOTHING to do with any of that. If you have done something, are carrying something you shouldn't be carrying, I can't wait for you to get caught, and again, knowing that sweat bead is running down your face just may be the thing that sparks a cop to ask you more questions then just "licence and registration, please".
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Sorry Truth, I never meant to offend anyone or crap on you as implied while trying to argue my side of this storey.

I'd be fooling myself if I truly believed Canada was not heading towards this strict of policing.

One day I will look back at this thread while I blow into a government mandated breathalyzer equipped on every Canadian car, while paying more for health care because my DNA test showed I was consuming more than average amounts of sugar. Returning home to my camera monitored living room to make sure their is no drug taking or domestic violence while someone knocks on my door to inform me that my kids GPS tracker showed him sneaking into a bar 10 days before his 19th birthday to celebrate his buddy turning 19.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Yup, you get it. While having to blow, told to face the camera (kudos to that cop for being just in that sense)because I was seen leaving the bar parking lot... as the sober designated driver for my date so she could have a good time, I'm the one embarrassed and treated like a criminal.

Sure I get it. Just like the time having to blow again becausE I truthfully admitted to having 2 beer with dinner and slept in her bed no word of a lie 6 hours earlier.

Standing roadside being frisked while the whole small town is looking while driving by is not my idea of a goodtime.
And a reason to not tell the truth.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Sparki55 wrote:
Bsuds wrote:If you have something to hide and don't want anyone to know then stop doing it. If you have trouble stopping then get some help!

Maybe I have something to hide and don't want anyone to know about it and also don't want any help. Why is privacy so frowned upon.

I like to masturbate. Should I still stop because I don't want you to know that? Knowing full well you and everyone else does too?

And I know what you're saying but it's not always that simple.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

As far as I'm concerned it you are doing something that endangers the lives of anyone other than you then whatever can be done to stop you is OK with me.

The entire point of this is that the cops don't need any reason at all to stop and search/test you and they can do it anywhere, including your home. They don't need to suspect you did anything at all. Whether you're doing something that endangers a life or not, it doesn't matter.

And for someone like the truth who comes on here and complains about the government/police needlessly wasting money, this is a massive waste of time and effort that will keep them from actually catching the people who are real dangers. He'd rather the cops waste resources testing people who have done nothing wrong and aren't even suspected of doing anything wrong, rather than catching drug dealers.

He even said he's fine with them testing him because he's done nothing wrong. You'd think he'd be annoyed at them wasting time and energy on a good citizen like him, while letting the bad ones keep doing what they're doing. Every minute they spend wasted on good people is a minute not devoted to catching the real bad guys.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

What_the, there's no reasoning with people like this who would welcome a camera in their home 24/7 monitoring everything they do because "they aren't doing anything wrong". They don't value their freedom or personal rights. It's sick and pathetic.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I hear you jonrox. 2 things though, sometimes they have to experience having their rights glossed over to appreciate having them in the first place, and perhaps we might make a reader think about that point
Last edited by What_the on May 15th, 2017, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

And the sad part is they don't even know their privacy is gone.
But a uniform is, i guess, is solace.

And never mind the fact 3 quarters to one it's a sober driver that will kill me, not a drunk c
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jonrox wrote:What_the, there's no reasoning with people like this who would welcome a camera in their home 24/7 monitoring everything they do because "they aren't doing anything wrong". They don't value their freedom or personal rights. It's sick and pathetic.

The topic of the thread and the poll that started it was about a Breathalyzer. Nothing about cameras in your home or anything else. Referencing the actual topic I agree with Police taking a breath sample if they feel it's warranted.

As to cameras in anyones home that is a completely different topic.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Tome_23 wrote:You know, i have a valid dl, i don't drink n drive or do drugs
what the hell do i care if they pull me over, i'm clean, 5 mins and i'm on my way
let them catch all the idiots

Uh huh .... how many idiots drive past while you're getting the shake down because Const. Friendly doesn't believe that you're responsible ?

It makes as much sense as their "bar tactics". You know ? When they used to hide within eye shot of the bar down the road and pull over the first person that pulls out of the parking lot.. Didn't matter how sober the person was rather than that they were there was enough to earn more than a 5 minute shake down while the drunks could have slipped away...

Random sampling of drivers "just because" is a waste of time , resources and is a detriment to those who obey they law , never mind a trampling of their rights.. Just because they have nothing to hide doesn't mean they should be compelled to play 50 questions at the side of the road AND give a sample of ANYTHING to prove it.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Referencing the actual topic I agree with Police taking a breath sample if they feel it's warranted.

Describe "feel" ....

All cops are honest and friendly right ? They could never have a bad day , could they ?? They'll never do things like pull someone over for something simple like "gesturing" to a cop that was driving while distracted and order an on the spot motor vehicle inspection just to prove his authority, which took another member off the road for how long ?

You remember that one , hey Sudsy ?? That happened , right ???

"Feel" is another word for "discretion" and neither can be associated with protection of a persons RIGHTS.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Once again the conversation becomes anti-police instead of the issue at question.

Cops DO NOT MAKE THE LAWS. If you don't agree with it then talk to your Member of Parliament.

How does asking someone to blow into a breathalyzer equal searching a home or anything? Just another bunch of keyboard warriors venting about stuff that doesn't exist.

The point is, in my opinion, the standard for police to obtain a sample of breath is very low and I disagree that lowering it even further is necessary. The checks and balances are already in place and in BC the current laws have put impaired driving rates with the lowest in the world. Things are working.

As for the comment about "cops shouldn't be wasting time on getting people to blow because they should be getting drug dealers...."

wow. They do get drug dealers.

Everyone wants laws until they affect you.

This change in the law is unnecessary at first glance. It will get challenged in court and the results will be interesting.

How about people just stop drinking and driving its 2017 for gods sakes. :topic:
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Jonrox wrote:What_the, there's no reasoning with people like this who would welcome a camera in their home 24/7 monitoring everything they do because "they aren't doing anything wrong". They don't value their freedom or personal rights. It's sick and pathetic.

Swab with this, spit here, pee in this cup, blow on this, tear car apart looking for drugs. You're right, it's very sick and pathetic all for the sense of false safety.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Once again the conversation becomes anti-police instead of the issue at question.

My post should have been clear enough for you to understand..

It's not a cop bash . It's NO because the public deserve a modicum of privacy that should NOT be violated just because they are operating a motor vehicle..

I just tossed in a recent example of how an innocent person DID get subject to what , IMO ,should be considered an unlawful search just because the cop got caught doing something he shouldn't have been doing....

It happens . Get over it .

Return to “Central Okanagan”