Sprinklers running 3+ days solid. What to do?

KevinJP
Fledgling

Re: Sprinklers running 3+ days solid. What to do?

Post by KevinJP »

bazinga42 wrote:
KevinJP wrote:Maybe the water police have to be notified.

It is metered, so they'll pay. I don't think punishment is in order... this clearly isn't something they've done on purpose.

In Kelowna, we have the odd/even system, except for the City which waters when it wants (even in the parks during the daytime). So if I watered on the wrong day, then I might get a fine???
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Yes Im suggesting you're being nosey, it's metered and they will likely pay in more way than one. I'm not trolling just texting my opinion, that's why this page exists.
Sure do love Rutland!!
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

phasyluck wrote:Yes Im suggesting you're being nosey, it's metered and they will likely pay in more way than one. I'm not trolling just texting my opinion, that's why this page exists.

So your opinion... seriously... is that myself and everyone else that notices should simply let the water run... for 24 hours a day... 7 days a week... for potentially weeks or months on end. Really?

I didn't get involved because it was annoying me (in fact, as I said, it was less bothersome than when it was working normally and my kid and I would get wet on the way to the school bus stop every morning). I got involved because these people were spending a bunch of money needlessly and causing damage to their yard AND perhaps even causing more damage to downstream properties.

removed. The other poster was simply stating his opinion.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

KevinJP wrote:In Kelowna, we have the odd/even system, except for the City which waters when it wants (even in the parks during the daytime). So if I watered on the wrong day, then I might get a fine???

Yeah. You don't think that's right? They are called bylaws, afterall, not bysuggestions.

Don't worry about what the City is doing. It is for a good reason. You have your watering window, the people on the other side of the street have theirs... the City has theirs too. The whole point is to share and not overload the system.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Wasn't aware I was insulting you, just stated my opinion....and why do you honestly care if it's costing somebody else money?

I dealt with a very similar matter, only reason I said anything was because it was an orchard and it was compromising my septic field. The response I received was its a civil issue, go talk to the land owner.
Last edited by phasyluck on Jun 11th, 2017, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sure do love Rutland!!
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Removed. Back on topic now!
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Okay I perhaps missed the broken sprinkler part.
Sure do love Rutland!!
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

I cant stand nosy neighbours but its obvious that doesn't apply here.

Good judgment. Good neighbor.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
spooker

Post by spooker »

This is what community is all about ... noticing your neighbours and being willing to make yourself uncomfortable in trying to do the right thing ... good on you for taking the initiative bazinga42
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

thank you :)
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Absolutely...I don't see how anyone could take your actions as being anything but good and positive.
You and 71 others Like this post
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

:up: good neighbor
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

You did the right thing shutting off the outside shut off, that's what they are for. It should be mandatory that everyone have an outside shut off for cases just as this. The most likely problem is a failed valve diaphragm. It would only be a solenoid if it were stuck open, which is rare. If the solenoid itself was faulty it would not come on. Not all valves have a manual shut off. If they do then the faulty zone can be shut off and the rest of the system would still operate. If it were a faulty controller keeping it on then disconnecting the neutral to all solenoids would shut all valves down.

During the 03 fire we had to shut down many irrigation systems where evacuees had left systems run 24 hours. There were that many on that some hydrants were not getting enough water to properly action hot spots in the subdivision. Each system is different and shut off differently. Some needed outside shutoffs turned off, some needed manual bleed screws shut off, and some needed the wiring disconnected.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Owners came back today and I spoke with then. They were thankful for my shutting it off and now I have their number in case something happens in the future. :up:

Turned out to be debris not allowing that zone to shut off, as I suspected. Now fixed.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:130: Oh man, this is what castanet needs, a good story, a good outcome and better neighbours.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”