No WAKE Zone

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

No WAKE Zone

Post by Ken7 »

Have you noticed the signs all over the area. Even on West Kelowna they have the large portables suggesting no wake boaters.

What more has to be said. What part of this do people not get? What exactly is a wake boat?

I am having trouble with this, how stupid are people around here. For you who own these boats, think about it just for a second you inconsiderate bunch of stupids. Your boat causes about a three foot high wave.

Yesterday a red and white one was cruising along Brent Road in Peachland.

I have seen a number of others recently in Kelowna and area. The lake is still 14 inches higher then full pool, you are causing problems..... WAKE UP!
Sparki55
Guru

Re: No WAKE Zone

Post by Sparki55 »

Ken7 wrote:Have you noticed the signs all over the area. Even on West Kelowna they have the large portables suggesting no wake boaters.

What more has to be said. What part of this do people not get? What exactly is a wake boat?

I am having trouble with this, how stupid are people around here. For you who own these boats, think about it just for a second you inconsiderate bunch of stupids. Your boat causes about a three foot high wave.

Yesterday a red and white one was cruising along Brent Road in Peachland.

I have seen a number of others recently in Kelowna and area. The lake is still 14 inches higher than full pool, you are causing problems..... WAKE UP!

I've spent lots of time on google trying to find posted figures on how much a wake affects the shoreline. From what I have read there is almost nothing to back it up. I believe most people simply don't want the loud noise, beer and crowd that associate with wake boats.

I agree going full speed 50' from shore is very inconsiderate and if 1000's of boats passed that area than maybe some erosion would be noticeable. Look at some of the storms which hit this year while above full pool, wave after wave just pounding the shoreline; with the way boats affect the shore line, passing by occasionally, I am surprised we have any shoreline left after the storms.

Boats traveling in the middle of the lake creating a wake have no affect on the shore, please don't try to argue that they do. This fight is over noise and crowds for people who think they own the waterfront.

To go off topic; if you think the city posted those no wake signs for land erosion and absolutely no other reason, I ask you to question why Kelowna is currently under water restrictions when we have more water than we know what to do with. I can tell you why. The city doesn't have the capacity to pump water to all the neighborhoods, it has nothing to do with water consumption. Even the guy in control of the water restrictions stated if we all opened our irrigation it wouldn't help drain the lake because the water would just flow back in. The government doesn't always post signs of honesty.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

I think they are meant for tourists, but have you seen the type of people who buy these wake boats? It's mostly the lifted-truck-loud-jackass crow
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

You haven't googled hard enough then. http://www.marinfo.gc.ca/Doc/Erosion/Er ... ges_En.pdf
from the first page
Last edited by goalie on Jul 14th, 2017, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

goalie wrote:I think they are meant for tourists, but have you seen the type of people who buy these wake boats? It's mostly the lifted-truck-loud-jackass crow

Haha, my point.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

Sparki55 wrote:Haha, my point.

Yes everyone is stupid they just posted those signs because the Mayor didn't want loud boats cruising by his rich friends properties along the lake. Got it.

What I meant to say is that crowd is unlikely to listen to some pinko govt telling them what they should be doing in this free country with their hard earned tax dollars.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Don't start bickering please. Thank you. :-X
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I take care of two lake properties in Peachland, and from the high water and the big waves, I will tell you there is evidence that this causes erosion. Not sure where you have not seen damages, maybe walk along the shore!

In saying that by Raymer Bay I do see property owners failing to keep no wake in mind, which is beyond me.. what are they thinking, it blows the neighbors dock out of the water at high pool.

Too much all about me in this City, and it isn't only the red plates.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Sparki55 wrote:I've spent lots of time on google trying to find posted figures on how much a wake affects the shoreline. From what I have read there is almost nothing to back it up. I believe most people simply don't want the loud noise, beer and crowd that associate with wake boats.

I agree going full speed 50' from shore is very inconsiderate and if 1000's of boats passed that area than maybe some erosion would be noticeable. Look at some of the storms which hit this year while above full pool, wave after wave just pounding the shoreline; with the way boats affect the shore line, passing by occasionally, I am surprised we have any shoreline left after the storms.

Boats traveling in the middle of the lake creating a wake have no affect on the shore, please don't try to argue that they do. This fight is over noise and crowds for people who think they own the waterfront.

To go off topic; if you think the city posted those no wake signs for land erosion and absolutely no other reason, I ask you to question why Kelowna is currently under water restrictions when we have more water than we know what to do with. I can tell you why. The city doesn't have the capacity to pump water to all the neighborhoods, it has nothing to do with water consumption. Even the guy in control of the water restrictions stated if we all opened our irrigation it wouldn't help drain the lake because the water would just flow back in. The government doesn't always post signs of honesty.

When people claim that wakes don't have any effect on the shore it makes me wonder if they've ever had a swim in the lake or ever even sat on the beach and watched the waves. Your theory about wakes having no effect on shore is, well, there's no nice way to say this, it's really dumb. Every child that's ever played in the water near shore knows that a boat ripping down the centre of the lake is going to create bigger, better (from a playing in the waves perspective) waves on the beach. Waves = erosion.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

So I know two people with those massive 100 grand wake boats.

Both have flat out told me they give zero REMOVED at all about "rich old people in beachfront houses", in fact one of them thinks its funny because of all the flak they always get from people thinking the entire lake should be quiet just to suit them.

So, I can imagine they are not alone in that thought and could explain why you still see this going on.
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Jul 14th, 2017, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: swear work around
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

JBX wrote:So I know two people with those massive 100 grand wake boats.

Both have flat out told me they give zero fcks at all about "rich old people in beachfront houses", in fact one of them thinks its funny because of all the flak they always get from people thinking the entire lake should be quiet just to suit them.

So, I can imagine they are not alone in that thought and could explain why you still see this going on.

Your friends likely would not appreciate it if someone intentionally destroyed their beautiful boats.

I don't think right now it is the noise. I do believe it is the wake, it is creating havoc on docks as the water level is beating them up.

I wish your friends no bad luck, but is does sound a little self centered to carry on without any regard to others. I feel it is a little selfish, and no I do not own a lake shore property but I do respect others property.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Ken7 wrote:
JBX wrote:So I know two people with those massive 100 grand wake boats.

Both have flat out told me they give zero fcks at all about "rich old people in beachfront houses", in fact one of them thinks its funny because of all the flak they always get from people thinking the entire lake should be quiet just to suit them.

Your friends likely would not appreciate it if someone intentionally destroyed their beautiful boats.

I don't think right now it is the noise. I do believe it is the wake, it is creating havoc on docks as the water level is beating them up.

I wish your friends no bad luck, but is does sound a little self centered to carry on without any regard to others. I feel it is a little selfish, and no I do not own a lake shore property but I do respect others property.

Oh I am in no way arguing for them, I personally think that attitude is crap. Just figured id drop the info in this thread.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

JBX wrote:
Oh I am in no way arguing for them, I personally think that attitude is crap. Just figured id drop the info in this thread.

Heres' one you can possibly answer.

May not be your friends but if so, why do Wake boards have to travel close to shore? As they plow the water, it would matter not if they were in the middle of the lake.

I am a lake camper and see it often, skiing and boarders tend to come way to close to where people like myself like to tie down and camp, and possible enjoy the lake.

If it is your friends, kindly let them know we don't have a interest in their boats or boarding. It also causes my eggs on the grill to get tossed about or my beer depending on the time of day.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Well, to show off and make your jelly.

Yeah wish I was kidding, calling them friends is a bit of a stretch they both kind of get on my nerves pretty fast. But they were involved in things I was in relation to work and ect ect you know how it goes.

But yes, its to show off at least for them, make noise, be a jerk, rip around cause they can. I honestly think they don't think it through logically, much more chances of reeds, logs, sudden depth changes, skaha is very bad for this in some areas.

I tend to stick closer to the shore when I'm in a seadoo but that's because I have one less direction that I have to worry about some idiot boater ramming me from, and I go out where nobody lives on the shore.
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

Ken7 wrote:
JBX wrote:

Heres' one you can possibly answer.

May not be your friends but if so, why do Wake boards have to travel close to shore? As they plow the water, it would matter not if they were in the middle of the lake.

I am a lake camper and see it often, skiing and boarders tend to come way to close to where people like myself like to tie down and camp, and possible enjoy the lake.

If it is your friends, kindly let them know we don't have a interest in their boats or boarding. It also causes my eggs on the grill to get tossed about or my beer depending on the time of day.

Usually you find calmer water closer to shore so that is why you will see those boats close. When your surfing you don't really want any waves except the one the boat is making.

Return to “Central Okanagan”