Water Cop Big Brother same thing

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Water Cop Big Brother same thing

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#202386

Valid or hype?

I'm watering my plants until the last freaking golf course is dead.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Water Cop Big Brother same thing

Post by the truth »

is the lake not full and then some
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

It's valid.
It's Rutland waterworks quote in the story, not City of Kelowna or other water utility. (Although they probably have the same rules with regard to use).
The water that we use in our yards is not directly piped from lake. It goes through a water treatment plant to chlorinate it and so on before is goes to our homes. Landscape watering accounts for by far the majority of water use in the hot weather. About 80%.
Gardens and plants can do quite well on alternate day watering. Decorative baskets/pots of flowers or plants can be hand watered more frequently, if they need it.
Follow the rules and there will be enough water for the needs of all.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the truth wrote:is the lake not full and then some

not everyone gets their water from the lake most comes from reservoirs in the mountains
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Rutland Water Works' water is not from the lake or any lake, it's well water.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

LTD wrote:
the truth wrote:is the lake not full and then some

not everyone gets their water from the lake most comes from reservoirs in the mountains

true, my bad
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i have a well.try and stop me.come at me bro
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-202386-1-.htm#202386

Here's another example of media hype.

Rutland Waterworks are taking the unusual step of sending out water cops to ensure citywide sprinkling regulations are adhered to.

It should be "district wide" not city wide. Rutland Waterworks has no business enforcing water restrictions in any of the other four water utilities.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

really ?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Trying to clamp down on the irresponsible hogs so there is enough for everyone ? Is that really a problem ?
Black Dogs Matter
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Queen K wrote:I'm watering my plants until the last freaking golf course is dead.

haha! Well, IDK what all the golf courses here do, but most of the ones I used to frequent back east used water from their own collection ponds, rather than "city water". This way they can basically recycle their own water & they only hafta filter out all of my golf balls, pretty efficient. [icon_lol2.gif]
Your bias suits you.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I think they should go back to simple odd addresses on odd numbered dates, even house numbers on even dates. It seems to me there were a lot of people who were unaware they were even under those simple restrictions and even fewer that now know about the T/T/S for odds, W/F/S for evens (or is it the other way around, I can never remember), no Monday watering and restricted watering hours stuff. Perhaps publicizing and enforcing the old system better would have saved just as much water as going to the new, more convoluted restrictions. Ultimately there are no restrictions that are going to make me use less water because I only water when my lawn or garden needs it and I give it as much water as it needs to thrive. People who would leave their sprinkler running all day, or have their underground timers set to water excessively don't know or care about regulations anyway and still will probably not get caught despite the enforcement effort.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

unless theyre out at three am I doubt they will catch very many people
ilivehere2

Post by ilivehere2 »

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-202386-1-.htm#202386

Here's another example of media hype.

Rutland Waterworks are taking the unusual step of sending out water cops to ensure citywide sprinkling regulations are adhered to.

It should be "district wide" not city wide. Rutland Waterworks has no business enforcing water restrictions in any of the other four water utilities.

Read again. The article says that the water restrictions are city wide. It doesn't say that Rutland Waterworks is enforcing the restrictions city wide.

All of Kelowna's water companies, plus the City of Kelowna, would have been smarter to try some education - EDUCATION is key. People didn't know last summer and people don't know this summer. I caught the news last spring, but the change in watering restrictions was not well advertised by the City of Kelowna or my water company. I was watching for a notice on my Rutland Waterworks bill, and it eventually was printed on the bill, but it was lost on page 2 and was in small print.

These new watering restrictions do not work well for people who work and/or have activities on set days of the week. Activities are on set days of the week, and so is my work schedule, so to be restricted to watering on set days of the week....it is very difficult to get much "legal" watering time in! I always followed the old odd/even restrictions but I am not following these new confusing regulations. I tried last summer, and it made for a very stressful summer, and a dead-looking yard.

It would be so much easier to have an odd/even system back! By adding a no-watering period in the afternoon, it would be effective and easy. I can't remember my watering days and times without constantly checking. Have an anonymous phone-in line! I would call. I get tired of seeing sprinklers on all day, every day.

Everyone can remember odd/even. I agree that theses convoluted water restrictions are too difficult to follow!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Some people are just more important than others. They need dark green lawns in the middle of summer, unlike the rest of us who really don't count.

Much like the leash laws, the people with their dogs off leashes, know that their circumstances are different, "their dog is a good dog".

Neighbors on each side of me water their lawns continually on non-watering days, even during the heat of the day. Both families are very religious and (if you asked them) "law abiding" families. "Wouldn't say :cuss: if their mouth was full of it".

There are a number of laws that I don't personally believe are needed, but I've chosen to live in this society that has rules and as a part of that society I obey them (mostly,,, knowing the police allow a tolerance when monitoring speed, I might travel up to that tolerance).

Perhaps if I went to church on Sundays I could water my lawn every day of the week and just pray for forgiveness, perhaps that's what my neighbors do.

Big Brother ? Apparently some people need someone in authority watching them because the don't have the sense to obey laws designed to conserve an important resource.

Water is a VERY important resource, wasting it on keeping grass green ? Really ?? So, what,,,, you can say "hey look at me, I've got green grass,,,, yeh me !!!"

It's not like (I think most municipalities are the same) anyone is telling us we can't water our gardens when they need it we're talking about grass.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Central Okanagan”