Okanagan family living in bush-lack of affordable housing

Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Re: Okanagan family living in bush-lack of affordable housin

Post by Temet Nosce »

dirtybiker wrote:
ShannonG wrote:It certainly isn't the mother/grandmother's sole obligation to provide financial stability.

Uh, what ?

Yes it is !

This family could turn this summer into a very memorable and happy time for those kids.

The year they spent the summer camping, bonding and working together without the rest
of societies and Cities distractions.

This is a great post and I was going to make a similar comment but thought it may come across insensitive. Kids are more resilient then adults typically and if this is framed as a camping adventure I agree could be viewed as very positive by the kids . True story...a few years ago my older siblings and I were having a visit and some wine reminiscing and laughing over memories. I made a comment "we sure use to camp a lot"....my siblings began laughing hysterically. I thought ok maybe time to cut them off....once they stopped laughing and could speak they informed me we were homeless and living out of our camper for a period of time during hard times. I had NO idea until a few years ago.
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

I don't want to debate who should be working or getting rid of the dogs (though ill make a point about that, would be tough on the kids. Housing is the only reason I don't have a dog btw)

My point- it may seem like she's blaming government. I think her main thought is, that Canada within the top 5 wealthiest nations in the world, working families should not have to live in the bush camping for lack of housing.
Last edited by Opeeved on Aug 13th, 2017, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Like some others here, I am wondering about the makeup of the 8 family members. There is only the mention of the grandmother and one son working. So where are the other adults? Also; I have to wonder why they are all living together.
Anyone, no matter what income, would have trouble finding a rental which would accommodate 8 people, let alone large pets.

Just trying to count it out:
Grandmother
Grandson
2 grand daughters
Son

That makes 5. Where are the other 3 adults?

Why is it the responsibility of the Country,the Province, the City to provide them with "affordable"accommodation? They appear to have chosen to keep a VERY large family together. They have chosen to have large pets. The situation they find themselves in could well be a result of their own choices.It is not up to society to accommodate them. The adults in this family need to step up and figure out how to support their large family.

Edit:
Here are a couple links to earlier stories. In the film clip, I see 4 people who could probably be earning income. (The son appears to be old enough to have some sort of job). From the time I was 12, I worked. I babysat every day after school and had a summer job every year.

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... out-a-home

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/1 ... rking-poor

Here is a suggestion from back in April.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/1 ... for-Debbie
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Re: Okanagan family living in bush due to lack of affordable

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

LANDM wrote:Would you rent to them, including all of the pets?

She says in the video she has good rental references so yes i'd rent to her including the dogs. I don't automatically assume everyone who can't afford something is a horrible person who is shirking responsibilities or purposely made bad decisions in life. i think people just think this way or say these things because they don't want to believe it might be them homeless one day.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

gardengirl wrote:Edit:
Here are a couple links to earlier stories. In the film clip, I see 4 people who could probably be earning income. (The son appears to be old enough to have some sort of job). From the time I was 12, I worked. I babysat every day after school and had a summer job every year.

How many years ago were you 12 and working? Job markets change. Do you know how difficult it is for kids to find summer jobs these days? Have you asked the kids in this particular family if they're attempting to find jobs or are you just assuming they're lazy?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:

She says in the video she has good rental references so yes i'd rent to her including the dogs. I don't automatically assume everyone who can't afford something is a horrible person who is shirking responsibilities or purposely made bad decisions in life. i think people just think this way or say these things because they don't want to believe it might be them homeless one day.

So you have a place available which can house 8 people plus large pets?
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

gardengirl wrote:So you have a place available which can house 8 people plus large pets?

It was a hypothetical question, i thought that was obvious. As I posted earlier, the dogs may also be for therapeutic purposes. Without actually talking to the family it's dumb to just say they should get rid of the pets or do this or do that.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:Edit:

HorganIsMyHero wrote:How many years ago were you 12 and working? Job markets change. Do you know how difficult it is for kids to find summer jobs these days? Have you asked the kids in this particular family if they're attempting to find jobs or are you just assuming they're lazy?

I BABYSAT every day after school until I graduated. As for finding summer jobs, I see lots of places that are hiring.
No, I have not talked to the kids in this family (DUH). However, the grandmother has only mentioned 2 family members who are working.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

gardengirl wrote:I BABYSAT every day after school until I graduated.

It's very probable the kids in this family are trying to babysit or find jobs. Maybe they can eventually find a job and buy a high horse like you have.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:So you have a place available which can house 8 people plus large pets?

HorganIsMyHero wrote:It was a hypothetical question, i thought that was obvious. As I posted earlier, the dogs may also be for therapeutic purposes. Without actually talking to the family it's dumb to just say they should get rid of the pets or do this or do that.

Well then, it's equally dumb for you to say you would rent to them. Since you are asking if people have talked to the family, if they voice an opinion, perhaps you should do that yourself.

Perhaps you will find them a place that meets their needs.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:

It's very probable the kids in this family are trying to babysit or find jobs. Maybe they can eventually find a job and buy a high horse like you have.

Nice personal attack. I guess you are the only one here who is allowed to speculate.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:

I suspect you have never had a rental property. There are big dogs and I believe I saw a cat but could be wrong on that. That is all fine about the therapeutic nature of dogs but that isn't the problem......damage to a property from pets is a very real issue.

I have already said I had sympathy so it is disingenuous of you to make your assumption about what I think about them.....especially when I have explicitly said otherwise.
Nevertheless, if I was homeless one day I would be doing everything in my power to make it otherwise.
To comment on your other post about kids and young adults finding work and how difficult it is now compared to in the past, there are thousands of acres of orchard that need to be harvested. The younger people can get out there and do that, can't they?
Or is it just easier to go 30km away and complain that the city should do something?
You and 71 others Like this post
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:

Why do you find this probable? Is there anything in the story that indicated this? If so, I did not notice it. And how likely is it when they choose to go 30km up a forest service road? Not very.

As for the high horse comment.......I think you know exactly how valid that is......perhaps from your vantage point you have made use of one yourself? :up:
You and 71 others Like this post
Opeeved
Fledgling

Post by Opeeved »

There are minors homeless. Isnt ministry of families (whatever it's called) mandated by law to do something?

So in essence, if so, they can and should expect government intervention. If its the law then it becomes societies problem and responsibility. Just trying to look at this from all angles rather than just pull up the boot straps.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Opeeved wrote:There are minors homeless. Isnt ministry of families (whatever it's called) mandated by law to do something?

So in essence, if so, they can and should expect government intervention. If its the law then it becomes societies problem and responsibility. Just trying to look at this from all angles rather than just pull up the boot straps.

I would imagine the children would be put into foster care. I highly doubt the Ministry would provide accommodation for a family of 8. (In my opinion,they should not be expected to.) The adults in this family have decided to all live together. (According to earlier interviews, to share expenses). This does not appear to be working.

.....Together we bring in approx. $6,000 income a month, less rent, heat, hydro, food, car expense, telephone, etc. but none of that matters. We are just in-between a ‘no’ for a mortgage as we don’t make enough, and a ‘no’ for a mortgage as we don’t make enough, and a ‘no’ to getting rental assistance because we make to much.

So I am asking you, what do we do? I know there are several working class families at this precise moment who, like us, are in that grey area and it seems like our Government our Province has let us down.

Yes, I understand that affordable housing is being built, but to what avail?
[b]We again will fall into that grey area of making too much money to qualify[/b]. What happens to the working poor who are turned down at all costs? What is our elected government doing to help us? We work hard for our money. We put up with exorbitant rents and never get a break. We are the backbone to our province, but our voiced concerns are not being taken seriously.

We have contacted Habitat for Humanity, only to be told we have too many children and the homes they build are geared toward single parents with 2-3 kids and that the cost to build up a home to fit our needs they could help two families instead of one large family. We have contacted Hope for Society to be told we have to many people as the places are only 2-3 bedrooms, and 8 people just wont fit. We are a large family unit. It is more cost efficient for all of us to pool our money and actually get a suitable accommodation.

--- Even if I was to let my children be stranded, and I found suitable accommodation, I could not afford $1,200-$1,500 a month for an apartment. I have strong family values and as the old saying goes “united we stand, divided we fall.” I could not look at myself if I let my children live on the street in order to satisfy my living accommodations. Family is family.

It is far more realistic, as has already been suggested, for them to live in separate residences. The grandmother has said they don't qualify for assistance programs because their income is too high...it sounds like she has already been given the answer. If they did not all live together,the combined income would be lower and they could qualify for programs. It would also be far easier to find accommodation for a family of 2-4 than a family of 8.
Last edited by gardengirl on Aug 13th, 2017, 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”