New Mission Group Condo

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

New Mission Group Condo

Post by lesliepaul »

The Mission Group Development Company here in Kelowna is advertising a new 20 story condominium on the northwest corner of Ellis and Lawrence. I know this area is and has been a parking lot for at least 6 or 7 years or more. Does anyone know what was located on the property before the parking lot? Type of building and business's that were located there? Figure I would try here before going to city hall.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: New Mission Group Condo

Post by GordonH »

^^^ If memory serves me I believe there was large dry cleaning Henderson plus next door barbershop.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

GordonH wrote:^^^ If memory serves me I believe there was large dry cleaning Henderson plus next door barbershop.

Thank you, someone mentioned that they thought there was a dry cleaning business there also.

The question now is, was there ever an Environmental Site Assessment done on the location? If you read up on "Land Reclamation on Dry Cleaning Sites" you will see that there is a very high chance of soil and ground water contamination. In some cases this reclamation process has taken 3 years to complete.

Tetrachloroethylene and Perchloroethylene (PERC) are only 2 of the chemicals used in dry cleaning and are both heavier than water and ground reclamation is more difficult than oil cleanup. Google it........it will knock your socks off. Our "tree-huggers" should be all over this.

Again, I do not know the full story behind this location...........maybe a study was done, maybe the used chemicals were taken off-site for disposal. BUT, rest assured, if I were interested in this condo, I would HAVE to see the Environmental Site Assessment. Just the fact that a dry cleaner was located there is reason enough for the assessment.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Or, what you can do is google the regulations for doing this type of project.
Or use common sense and think about the work that is done on foundations for this type of project and think if they just magically place a tall building on the ground.
Are you interested in a condo here and, if so, have you asked to see the ESA? Why all the postulation if you haven't made any effort and are just dealing in conjecture?
:135:
You and 71 others Like this post
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The website for the project http://liveatella.com/
I haven't failed until I quit.
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

gosh...where is everyone coming from...? the amount of multiple building (high dense) going on in this city is crazy...I mean enough already..I used to live on a quite street and everyone uses it for a short cut to avoid having to stop at street lights.
City will not install traffic calming measure because it's not their 'budget'..yet they can re-pave an existing paved road knowing full well it will only be dug up the following year to lay water mains....opps that one slipped thru the cracks..
(born and raised in Ktown...55years ago) sigh..
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

AtticSalt wrote:gosh...where is everyone coming from...? the amount of multiple building (high dense) going on in this city is crazy...I mean enough already..I used to live on a quite street and everyone uses it for a short cut to avoid having to stop at street lights.

I haven't lived here quite as long as you, but I grew up here as well, and my time in Kelowna is now closer to 40 years than 30. Where are they coming from? The prairies and the Lower Mainland mostly. The people coming here want to be here for the same reasons you do, and housing inventory will continue to increase as long as there is demand for it. As for high density developments...well, there is precious little land left to build quiet cul-de-sacs on. The 1970's to the 90's were the time to get in on one of those. This will sound unkind, but I really thought the "whatever happened to our quiet little town" mentality faded out a long time ago.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

The vacant lots on the corner of Ellice and Lawrence are in fact 3 properties. The 2 most easterly (gravel lots) were owned by the City of Kelowna and sold to the Mission Group. The third property which is currently paved was the location of Henderson Dry Cleaners..........AND IS contaminated with the previously mentioned chemicals used in the dry cleaning industry. According to the city the Environmental Site Assessment was done and proves the findings. Now to get a copy of the ESA.
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

lesliepaul wrote:The third property which is currently paved was the location of Henderson Dry Cleaners

That "third property" is not paved and has been a gravel lot for many years. You can even see a part of it in one of Castanet's webcams: https://www.castanet.net/castanet-rising/?id=2
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

That "third property" is not paved and has been a gravel lot for many years. You can even see a part of it in one of Castanet's webcams: https://www.castanet.net/castanet-rising/?id=2
[/quote]

I am looking at the picture..............I sure see asphalt.........the only vehicle parked on it is the grey Dodge crew-cab truck. THAT lot was where Henderson Dry Cleaning was.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Here is the CoK map viewer check out the property in question:
http://maps.kelowna.ca/public/mapviewer/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

lesliepaul wrote:I am looking at the picture..............I sure see asphalt.........the only vehicle parked on it is the grey Dodge crew-cab truck. THAT lot was where Henderson Dry Cleaning was.

You're incorrect. Henderson Dry Cleaning was on Ellis, which is to the left of that picture, where the unpaved section is.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

lesliepaul wrote:
I am looking at the picture..............I sure see asphalt.........the only vehicle parked on it is the grey Dodge crew-cab truck. THAT lot was where Henderson Dry Cleaning was.

No. That is NOT where Hendersons was. You are wrong.
You and 71 others Like this post
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

LANDM wrote:No. That is NOT where Hendersons was. You are wrong.

Henderson Cleaners was on northwest corner of Ellis & Lawrence, next door was barbershop I would get my haircut at (trying to remember the name, it was the first name of the owner). I'm leaning towards Pete's.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Also thinking it was Petes Barber Shop. Got my ears lowered there for years. Now go to Lana at Sir Knights on Leon and Water ??
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.

Return to “Central Okanagan”