City trees and the mess/cost

gsc
Board Meister

Re: City trees and the mess/cost

Post by gsc »

Ok so I just got off the phone with the city Parks department as they deal with all the trees.

They are having the arborist call me to see what can be done. I explained that the tree dangerously close to phone and cable lines. I also explained the the roots have become a large tripping Hazzard.

I then told them lastly that it is now indeed starting to wreck my own personal property as well .
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

gsc wrote:Ok so I just got off the phone with the city Parks department as they deal with all the trees.

They are having the arborist call me to see what can be done. I explained that the tree dangerously close to phone and cable lines. I also explained the the roots have become a large tripping Hazzard.

I then told them lastly that it is now indeed starting to wreck my own personal property as well .

Not to rain on your parade but there is nothing dangerous about phone and cable lines, they don't carry electricity. Nobody cares about them, not even Worksafe BC. Fortis and BC Hydro maintain a trees distance from their lines by 3 meters, you will notice that trees are seldom kept away from telecommunication lines.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Glacier wrote:Salt kills trees too. If you drive out highway 6, you can see cedar hedge after cedar hedge is half dead or completely dead because of the road salt used last winter. This up coming winter is not going to be good for homeowners in Lavington because they no longer have the cedars to block the snow and salt from shooting into their yards.

This is what causes me to question why they keep insisting on planting trees in the center median strips along Hwy 97?

Evidence clearly shows that from day one these trees degenerate and I've always figured it must be from the salt.

Not to mention that were they to thrive in such a location, their roots would eventually effect the road.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

gsc wrote:Ok so I just got off the phone with the city Parks department as they deal with all the trees.

Hopefully you get some form of resolve to the situation.
Not trying to take this off-topic as I feel it's somewhat related, and is regarding the planning and planting of trees along streets and boulevards in Kelowna. It's so ridiculous to see these tree-lined streets once the trees mature, then being limbed and lopped off to maintain clearance from the power/phone/cable lines suspended from pole to pole above them. Does no one in planning and development take a moment to consider the long term cost of maintaining this, let alone the simple fact that maybe they shouldn't plant trees that grow to that size under overhead power lines? Companies like Asplundh(sp?) and others are constantly in various areas around town maintaining decorative tress planted directly under power lines. Never made sense to me.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

And to add to the last couple post queries.
From my perspective a legal 14' clearance from the edge and over roadways for
the unencumbered travel of legal 13 '6" vehicles.

Not sure if anything like this is even thought of before planting along street edges and medians.

:topic:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Post by BigBearBruno »

Whine and complain that you have "allergies" ... Trees are cut down all the time to please the allergy cry babies. A bunch of really big, tall, healthy trees in Ben Lee park were all chopped down last year cause of whiny allergy complainers.
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Update.

So the city of Kelowna sent a guy from the parks department today. We spoke and he looked around my yard and I have full permission to cut the roots that are in my yard.

We also spoke about if it just magically got cut down and what the fines would be. I asked what if haha and I was told there would be a fine and the cost of a mature tree and could be up to $4000 to $5000.

We also talked about if I do have the city remove it I would have to pay for the removal and the cost to plant a new tree of a different kind.

I mentioned that I work for a company and that we are fully licensed and insured. He asked the company name and how much our liability was. I told him and he said I would also be able to do it through my company. I would still half to talk to them and plant a new tree.
I did explain to him how I would take it down he laughed and said I see you have done this before haha. My response was yes that's why I was asking if I could do it and not half to pay you guys.

We will see what happens now he says he will contact me again this week. We will half to wait and see what he says .
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

gsc wrote:Update.

So the city of Kelowna sent a guy from the parks department today. We spoke and he looked around my yard and I have full permission to cut the roots that are in my yard.

We also spoke about if it just magically got cut down and what the fines would be. I asked what if haha and I was told there would be a fine and the cost of a mature tree and could be up to $4000 to $5000.

We also talked about if I do have the city remove it I would have to pay for the removal and the cost to plant a new tree of a different kind.

I mentioned that I work for a company and that we are fully licensed and insured. He asked the company name and how much our liability was. I told him and he said I would also be able to do it through my company. I would still half to talk to them and plant a new tree.
I did explain to him how I would take it down he laughed and said I see you have done this before haha. My response was yes that's why I was asking if I could do it and not half to pay you guys.

We will see what happens now he says he will contact me again this week. We will half to wait and see what he says .

Cut it down and replace with a bonsai :up:
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

gsc wrote:Update.

It sounds like you're on your way to a solution gsc. Thanks for the update.

Isn't it interesting how reasonably the City of Kelowna is handling this enquiry. Lets give credit where credit is due.

(I've shared a tree problem before with the City and solved it successfully.)

I wish the best solution for you!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Good deal,
Getting around all the tape is tougher than the job itself.

Hey wait ! :200:

Next thing you know you'll be "deleted by poster"
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

He did say he would get back to you next week so it is actually still up in the air at this point. Lets hope his supervisor is not some kind of dick who does not like it when others have better ideas than him. Keep us posted.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

lesliepaul wrote:He did say he would get back to you next week so it is actually still up in the air at this point. Lets hope his supervisor is not some kind of dick who does not like it when others have better ideas than him. Keep us posted.

We he did give me different options on what could be done and pricing of things. So it will be interesting to see what comes from all of this.

I will say though he was really nice and understanding about every thing.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 20th, 2017, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 20th, 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 20th, 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post

Return to “Central Okanagan”