No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

TJSmith
Übergod

Re: No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Post by TJSmith »

Anonymous123 wrote:Shopping malls will soon become a thing of the past. Online shopping will eliminate them.

It’s true
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Urban Cowboy wrote:If it's not happening, how do you explain all the retailers that are closing, going bankrupt, or revamping their marketing strategy because of online buying?
There are some really big names, that have shut down already, or are in the process of doing so, and of the remainder many are struggling.

I said it's not happening like people (analysts) expected (predicted). Many retailers have closed/gone bankrupt but others are definitely changing their strategy and are combining bricks and mortar with online. It makes sense to combine mall shopping with other community based events and services.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

TerriJ73 wrote:
Anonymous123 wrote:Shopping malls will soon become a thing of the past. Online shopping will eliminate them.

It’s true

I know people who shop online regularly. They send an awful lot of stuff back because it does not fit or the wrong item was sent
I prefer to buy my shoes in the shoe store so I can try on multiple sizes or styles. I guess some people use that information to order on line.
I don't mind ordering items that are unavailable in local shops.
Some stuff is shipped from China, not for return.
People love to shop, I don't see the mall closing down anytime soon.
Waste not
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Shoes and clothing are not consistently made. Just have to google online nightmares/knockoff nightmares etc. and you see what the results can be.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

Not sure exactly which section is going to be demolished. Are they going to tear down the half of the old store closest to Best Buy? Or are they going to divide it lengthwise and tear down the east side of it? Can't really tell from the renderings in the article. It does appear to show a new main mall entrance, built the same style as the other 3, next to the new Marks.

Things are looking better at Orchard Park, but not so good over at Central Park. Home Outfitters is about to shut down and Marks is about to move.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bigtimeoperations wrote:Not sure exactly which section is going to be demolished. Are they going to tear down the half of the old store closest to Best Buy? Or are they going to divide it lengthwise and tear down the east side of it? Can't really tell from the renderings in the article. It does appear to show a new main mall entrance, built the same style as the other 3, next to the new Marks.

Things are looking better at Orchard Park, but not so good over at Central Park. Home Outfitters is about to shut down and Marks is about to move.

Original Sears location/closes to the intersection of Harvey & Dilworth (not the newer furniture location).
I suspect Home Outfitters location will have a new tenant.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

I think there are some of us who aren't glued to devices and just like to disconnect with tech and connect with real people, try things on, walk, look & observe, see an eatery we haven't noticed before and pop in to give it a try - things like that.

My preference is brick & mortar shopping - malls are good, especially in inclement weather. Downtown shopping is great, wander along and window shop and pop in when something catches your eye - all kinds of neat little stores around corners you might not even notice driving down the street. I need that connection. Rarely do I shop online and it's 98% a given that I have already been in a brick and mortar store and tried on, or tried out, the actual item in person so I know exactly what to expect. I have had good and bad experiences shopping online but it's a crap shoot in most cases. I like to get out and move so sitting in front of a computer shopping isn't really my thing - handy on occasion but not my go to way to do it.

There is a place for both online and brick & mortar and there will always be some who enjoy one over the other but we need both. I think online has made some people very lazy, not just physically but mentally as well. I've heard some say they are too busy to get downtown or the mall to pick out a gift - much easier online. Much easier to get in debt as well - in a most cases you are paying by credit card although you can use that debit Visa or whatever it's called some places. We have received so many gifts over the years from our kids that had to be returned for one reason or another and they have the hassle of doing that. They've also ordered things like furniture that arrived looking nothing like what they thought they ordered - much cheaper quality, uncomfortable etc, colour totally different than it shows on the computer. They don't online shop near as much as they used to - the novelty has begun to wear off.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

They said the same thing about movie theatres when home video came along. Then again when home theatres came along. Then again when on demand/streaming came along.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

OKkayak wrote:

They said the same thing about movie theatres when home video came along. Then again when home theatres came along. Then again when on demand/streaming came along.

Agreed! However, we reserve our theatre outings for just action movies - I have to have my popcorn when I watch a movie and OMG the prices are beyond ridiculous for a popcorn and a pop or other treats! We can stay home, feet up, and munch away on popcorn and junk food for pennies compared to the theatres. Every once in a while though a movie comes along that just really needs that kick-butt sound and the big screen so I bite my tongue and tether my temper at the concession for the odd one we go to.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Queen K wrote:You're getting two lumps of coal in your stocking Bsuds.

Catsumi wrote:^^^^^

Ok, I will bite first, QK

You were shopping for diamonds, presumably for KAT chokers, and they are just not selling? Why on earth didn't you just put in a low-ball bid?

KATZ happy and looking good and you save $$$$

:biggrin:

KATZ, if I'm buying diamonds, they're all for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

I youre buying diamonds on the interweb you deserve that expensive chunk of glass you will receive
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

GordonH wrote:
bigtimeoperations wrote:Not sure exactly which section is going to be demolished. Are they going to tear down the half of the old store closest to Best Buy? Or are they going to divide it lengthwise and tear down the east side of it? Can't really tell from the renderings in the article. It does appear to show a new main mall entrance, built the same style as the other 3, next to the new Marks.

Original Sears location/closes to the intersection of Harvey & Dilworth (not the newer furniture location).

Not quite. Here’s a quote from the Castanet news story.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/251613/New-tenant-for-old-Sears

Demolition plans have been submitted to the city's planning department for the former Sears location at the northeast corner of the mall.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Original Sears location/closes to the intersection of Harvey & Dilworth (not the newer furniture location).

Anonymous123 wrote:Not quite. Here’s a quote from the Castanet news story.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/251613/New-tenant-for-old-Sears

Demolition plans have been submitted to the city's planning department for the former Sears location at the northeast corner of the mall.

Please reread what I underlined (northeast corner was the Sears that was there since the Mall opened)

Added: north of the OPM is Harvey Ave.... East of OPM is Dilworth Dr
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I don't find the rendering in the article very useful, as I could easily apply that view to either end of the mall.

Would be more helpful if it included an existing business for orientation purposes.

I thought at first they were planning on closing the main OPM entrance off of Hwy 97, as that one is ridiculous since they upgraded the highway. Upon rereading they say "Dilworth" entrance so I hope they mean the little uncontrolled one across from the Liquor Store, because the one with the light at Baron Road is one of the safest entrances they have.

The Main entrance is the one that needs to go as coming in off Dilworth, Cooper, or Springfield provide enough safe options, without impacting Hwy97 traffic flow.

I was frankly surprised, that the province allowed that to remain in place, when they undertook improvements.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Urban Cowboy wrote:I don't find the rendering in the article very useful, as I could easily apply that view to either end of the mall.

Well, since Sears was only in 2 location in the mall.

One in Northeast corner & other from outside Food court plus loading docks area to south & BestBuy to north. In the rendering there is no building to right side of picture, it's parking lot. So the rendering is looking at OPM from near Harvey on Dilworth

Automatically points to the original sears location

Added later: christmas shoppers will be happy for more parking
blue iguana
Fledgling

Post by blue iguana »

We Have Met the Carbon Enemy and He is Us
https://www.c2cjournal.ca/2018/12/we-ha ... Xxf0syzDCU
<snip>
Jeff Bezos of Amazon is another prominent figure generating a pretty massive carbon footprint. Picture a university student bouncing out of bed on a Sunday morning and clicking the “Buy now with 1-Click” button before strolling off to a pipeline protest. This click likely prompts a coal-fired factory in China to manufacture the item (67 percent of China’s electricity was generated from coal in 2017), which is then transported via diesel-powered truck or train to an air- or seaport, followed by an oil-fuelled ship or plane ride to North America, yet another leg by diesel-powered truck or train to a distribution centre and, ultimately, a gasoline-fuelled delivery truck doing the “last mile” run. The next day, while that student is in class, that truck drops off items to various students at the university – all one-off, instant-gratification purchases. There is, unsurprisingly, a direct and strong decade-long correlation between Amazon’s revenue and total U.S. trucking miles, both of which continue to break annual records. Then tie that with a recent Amazon press release about the company ordering 20,000 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans for last mile delivery.
<snip>
How best to help save the world from carbon while being honest with yourself? Begin by putting down your phone. Travel locally and walk or bike when you can. Deny yourself the instant gratification of online ordering and bundle your buying into a single trip to (gasp!) a traditional store to shed “last mile diesel”. Grow more unfertilized food yourself. Sounds a bit rough, doesn’t it? For your remaining energy use, recognize that Canada is a global leader in environmental stewardship and support the energy companies of this country. They are competing internationally under significantly more stringent domestic rules and practices while ranking 2nd (behind Norway) on environmental and social performance against other energy-rich nations. The world is moving ahead on energy demand of all types, with or without Canada. We shouldn’t impoverish ourselves to no purpose.
No matter how talented, rich or intelligent you are, how you treat animals tells me all I need to know about you.

Return to “Central Okanagan”