Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Yes
46%
So-so
27%
No
28%

Total votes: 147

Tack

Re: Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Post by Tack »

Absolutely love it here. Coming from the Rockies it's lovely to have a long spring and summer where I can start camping in March instead of May. The snowboarding is great with Big White and Revelstoke within day-trip distance. I've met tons of great people of all ages. I love getting out to the lake and relaxing on the beach. So many places within a 2 hour distance to hike and explore. I've got myself into a great paying job and own a home. Lovely relationships and places to visit within the city. There's nowhere else I'd rather be!
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

davis123 wrote:I used to think I was happy living in the Okanagan but what I was really happy about was being able to jump in my vehicle and be in the back country within 20 minutes, to escape the useless fake idiots living in Kelowna.

I moved away a few years ago mainly due to the high cost of rentals/housing and would never move there again. The Okanagan seems to attract the most annoying people around, the rich (or debt ridden) hoity-toity snots, the douchey steroid players that are completely useless, fake plastic 'oh so special' princess tramps, and then of course business that wants to pay pathetic wages. Kelowna is like a giant strip-mall, no substance, no appeal. Landlords think their basement suites with bugs and no light are worth 1200 a month. Take out everyone in that town making minimum wage and you'd probably be left with 10,000 people living there, strip malls do not make a prosperous city.

BC is a large province and the majority of it has the same scenery, or better, than the Okanagan. I'll take my chances elsewhere where it isn't full of people trying to 'live the dream' in their wannabe mini California crap hole.

Yep, pretty much sums it up for me. I've travelled pretty extensively and spend a lot of time on the Island, and I can honestly say that I have never seen a place with so many annoying, self-absorbed, flakey-follower type idiots as The Okanagan, especially Kelowna. Everyone here has something to prove, they all have to have the same stupid decals on the back of their truck/Audi/BMW's, or beat up Pontiac Sunfires for the more fiscally challenged, on and on. People here have no imagination at all, and just blindly follow and copy everyone else. Really pathetic. In general, a very overrated and overpriced place, especially considering it only gets maybe 5 or 6 months of really nice weather a year.
jsytnick
Board Meister

Post by jsytnick »

7600736 wrote:
Yep, pretty much sums it up for me. I've travelled pretty extensively and spend a lot of time on the Island, and I can honestly say that I have never seen a place with so many annoying, self-absorbed, flakey-follower type idiots as The Okanagan, especially Kelowna. Everyone here has something to prove, they all have to have the same stupid decals on the back of their truck/Audi/BMW's, or beat up Pontiac Sunfires for the more fiscally challenged, on and on. People here have no imagination at all, and just blindly follow and copy everyone else. Really pathetic. In general, a very overrated and overpriced place, especially considering it only gets maybe 5 or 6 months of really nice weather a year.

Change the decals from Metal Mulisha to Stop Site C Dam and you have the same BS on the island. I'll take clean and showered over stinky and unkempt hippies any day. All these whiners sound like the type that they claim have ruined it here.
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

jsytnick wrote:
7600736 wrote:

Change the decals from Metal Mulisha to Stop Site C Dam and you have the same BS on the island. I'll take clean and showered over stinky and unkempt hippies any day. All these whiners sound like the type that they claim have ruined it here.

Wow, don't we like to generalize. Sorry, but the "stinky and unkempt hippies" that you refer to were pretty much gone from the Island by the end of the 80's, which, by the sounds of things, was the last time you visited there. BTW, I lived there during most of the 70's (I'm born and partially raised in Kelowna), and pretty well all of our friends back then could have been classified as hippies, but I don't recall any of them being especially unclean or odorous.
What it boils down to is a difference of cultures - Island culture is very different from interior/Okanagan culture. Island culture is much more genteel, down to earth, egalitarian, and artsy whereas Okanagan culture has a very redneck, white trash, snotty, me me me kind of a vibe, which I find abhorrent. And, I really can't stand the way so many people here think that living in Kelowna somehow makes them better than everyone else. Just pathetic. It is a beautiful place, but there are places that are much, much nicer, with people who are also much, much nicer. Kelowna was a wonderful place to live years ago - safe, clean, uncrowded, no traffic issues - but it's been ruined by greed, crime, drugs, incompetence, and too many idiots wanting to live here. It's just a complete loony bin now, and I'm tired of living a loony bin.
And so, I have begun the process of relocating to the Island. It'll take awhile, but when the day comes for me to leave, it'll feel very nice indeed to finally close the book on this over-hyped backward town. You can have it. Enjoy.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The best thing you can do for yourself if you are not happy where you are living is move to where you will be.

Unless you are moving away from Family or really good friends chances are you won't be missed anyway cause if you aren't happy you are probably miserable as well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

Bsuds wrote:The best thing you can do for yourself if you are not happy where you are living is move to where you will be.

Unless you are moving away from Family or really good friends chances are you won't be missed anyway cause if you aren't happy you are probably miserable as well.

Nope, not miserable at all - got a hot, young girlfriend, a great job with great pay, two nice cars, and own my house. I just hate Kelowna, and can't wait to leave. But, I'm grinnin' ear to ear, my friend :biggrin: .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Can't wait to leave Kelowna? Prove you have a new address and I'll donate 10 bux to your moving costs in happiness that one more person is gone. Two less cars. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:Can't wait to leave Kelowna? Prove you have a new address and I'll donate 10 bux to your moving costs in happiness that one more person is gone. Two less cars. :up:

Will you donate if I just go on a holiday?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

Queen K wrote:Can't wait to leave Kelowna? Prove you have a new address and I'll donate 10 bux to your moving costs in happiness that one more person is gone. Two less cars. :up:

Keep your money, honey...I don't need it. Thanks for your message, BTW. It just further proves my opinion regarding how mean and nasty people are in this town. You sound like the miserable one. Anyway, Kelowna is my hometown, and I've lived here for 27 years, so I am very qualified to think however I want about this place. I've earned that right.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

There are many nicer, kinder, less pretentious/costly and more scenic places to live than Kelowna. Left in 2011 and will NEVER live in Kelowna/West Kelowna again!
Chill
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

flamingfingers wrote:There are many nicer, kinder, less pretentious/costly and more scenic places to live than Kelowna. Left in 2011 and will NEVER live in Kelowna/West Kelowna again!

HIGH FIVE FF. I feel the exact same way. I can't wait to get out of the cesspool.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ya, you see you did something about how you feel, but that guy? He's still hanging on.

I'm not miserable here, I'm sick of the put downs by people who move here expecting....what? What the heck were you expecting? I'm none of those things you're describing and neither are, well, any people I've met here. Maybe you were unlucky but I know wonderful people.

I do want to experience other parts of BC, but not spitting on the Kelowna on my way out. Gezzz.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Dec 27th, 2017, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forums/living here two different things.
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

7600736 wrote:
Bsuds wrote:The best thing you can do for yourself if you are not happy where you are living is move to where you will be.

Nope, not miserable at all - got a hot, young girlfriend, a great job with great pay, two nice cars, and own my house. I just hate Kelowna, and can't wait to leave. But, I'm grinnin' ear to ear, my friend :biggrin: .

And yet you say:
whereas Okanagan culture has a very redneck, white trash, snotty, me me me kind of a vibe, which I find abhorrent. And, I really can't stand the way so many people here think that living in Kelowna somehow makes them better than everyone else. Just pathetic.

Sounds like you are fitting right in!
You and 71 others Like this post
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

I've lived all over AB, northern BC, and Belize and don't mind living an hour south of "Hollywood North" unless I have to go to Kelowna for some reason or other.
My biggest peeve is the sunshine taxes and business attitudes but that"s easily solved by buying fuel and a lot of groceries across the border and shopping online for items the local businesses try to scalp us for. The "if we don't have it, you don't need it" attitude doesn't work for me at all.
The weather is great as long as the cherry blossoms don't freeze and it stays below +40C
BUT...I haven't been T-boned in a Kelowna intersection yet and I haven't had a junkie try to kick the door in yet either.

Return to “Central Okanagan”