Castanet radio

Walking Wounded
Übergod

Re: Castanet radio

Post by Walking Wounded »

I drive for a living, local radio has saved me time on a few occasions by keeping me up to date on traffic tie ups and construction more than once. Satellite radio can't do that. Power 104 all the way.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Back when I actually enjoyed terrestrial radio Power 104 was called the Lizard. I do still keep a battery powered radio in the house in case of power failure, but the last time we had a widespread outage I found that all the local stations had prerecorded and/or non-local tripe running so it was no help anyway.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

I think there is still a place for talk radio.

Anyone ever listen to Art Bell broadcasting from the Kingdom of Nye?

He did a show called Coast to Coast AM.

... creepy weird if you were ever driving alone, at night.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Bsuds wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:i listen to local radio because its local . and there will always be a need for emergency broadcasts

They are thinking of emergency texts to replace those.

Other than in your car who even has a radio anymore?

Most with an AV receiver have access to radio AM/FM/Shortwave, satellite, Spotify, pandora, internet radio, etc etc. It is rare I listen to radio at home, but while commuting I listen to radio. At home I use Spotify for music. I sometimes take a listen to AM 1150 for the many days that all FM channels suck (including extremely biased CBC). Your smartphone can do radio and may have a tuner chip.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Nice, I'll give it a try. I'm getting really sick of 96.3 and Power 104 has sucked for at least the last 15 years.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Not expecting Castanet to reinvent the wheel - but this just seems like such a step backward. Rather than introducing something innovative, fresh and new to actually attract listeners - and most importantly corporate clients and their almighty advertising dollars - this is just yet another rehashing of a format that has been done many times before, and even a few in this local market.

in·san·i·ty
inˈsanədē/
noun
Doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

Again, I wish them luck.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

WADR 103.9
Late night talk radio with Gix and Don

Donald G. Would be proud.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Attuma

Post by Attuma »

there needs to be some more talk radio. 1150am used to be good but then changes their schedule all the time to almost American sports radio for most of the day.

I do see they changed it again to have some more talk from 12-3 but still not that good.

down in Penticton and south you get a nice FM talk radio/news station from the states. Something like CBC without all the boring Canadiana music stuff.

so Gord and Phil are going head to head..interesting
aitaix

Post by aitaix »

Radio? What year is it?

http://www.spotify.com
No ads.
Play whatever i want
Discovery Playlists created based upon my listening habits.
$15 /month 5 users
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Attuma wrote:
down in Penticton and south you get a nice FM talk radio/news station from the states. Something like CBC without all the boring Canadiana music stuff.

so Gord and Phil are going head to head..interesting

Is that 90.1 you are referring to, from Omak? I can pick up something in my car here on that channel; mostly talk radio; somewhat boring but sometimes interesting.

90.1 3kW Add KQWS to MY RADIO Address info from SuperPages.com Click for FCC data LISTEN LIVE KQWS|r.KWSU-1250 NPR NWPR News - Omak (Okanogan) WA US public/news,talk (Wash. St. Univ.)

I still miss the likes of Rafe Mair and Jack Webster; great talk show hosts. Anyone know what the footprint will be for Castanet radio? (coverage area).
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

aitaix wrote:Radio? What year is it?

http://www.spotify.com
No ads.
Play whatever i want
Discovery Playlists created based upon my listening habits.
$15 /month 5 users

Right now , as I type , I'm listening to 91.3 fm The Zone in Victoria BC ..

Home of Royals Hockey ..... And right now , they're ahead of the Oil Things 1 to 0 in the first period.

GO ROYALS !!!!
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

The writing is on the wall...Johnson's radio days are numbered. Gord knows this and is jumping ship before the axe falls and takes him down too.

Johnson's style of stuttering, stammering and repeating everything 3 times has lost it's short lived charm. He spends far too much time talking and repeating himself for any guest to have an opportunity to say what they want to say on any given topic. People choose talk radio to hear the interviews and become informed and not to hear the host stumble over his words.

I tuned Johnson out months ago and really look forward to a news/oldies based station where the information is straight forward and concise. Hope it goes well for Castanet.
Someone has to say it.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

generalposter wrote:The writing is on the wall...Johnson's radio days are numbered. Gord knows this and is jumping ship before the axe falls and takes him down too.

Johnson's style of stuttering, stammering and repeating everything 3 times has lost it's short lived charm. He spends far too much time talking and repeating himself for any guest to have an opportunity to say what they want to say on any given topic. People choose talk radio to hear the interviews and become informed and not to hear the host stumble over his words.

I tuned Johnson out months ago and really look forward to a news/oldies based station where the information is straight forward and concise. Hope it goes well for Castanet.

That's why I largely opposed Castanet's bid to re-enter the radio business with the CJUI-FM buy. I think not only are Phil Johnson's days numbered, I think AM1150's days are numbered, in part, due to Bell Media's layoffs in its radio division that cut back what was arguably the best digital+radio news outfit in the Central Okanagan and best competitor to Castanet.net (that title now goes to INFOnews.ca, in my view) but mainly due to their loss of Corus Radio Network programming. They've infilled it with mostly sports talk programming from Bell Media stations as well as the News Talk station in Toronto, also owned by Bell, but weekends are largely paid commercial and religious programming. I suspect Bell will surrender the AM1150 license, perhaps add some additional news programming at the top of every half during certain hours of the day to 101.5 EZ Rock. If they don't surrender the license, they might just convert it to a rebroadcaster/retransmitter of TSN 1040 Vancouver (CKST-AM), with local programming lost entirely. :(

Once that happens, I worry Castanet will rebrand Oldies 103.9 as News Talk 103.9, further entrenching itself in the minds of Kelowna-area residents with its bad journalism full of factual errors, anonymous sources, business-friendly articles, paid content and grammatical & spelling errors. :(

Cheers,
Doug
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I'm cheap so don't have data on my phone so still listen to radio in car. I do have thousands of songs on my phone but even that's gets boring. Too bad because I liked the format of 103.9
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Nick Frost is a very smart radio man. My guess is that somewhere down the road when country finally fades to black he will make a pitch for Country 100.7 more specifically for their transmitter atop Okanagan Mountain. It would give his station a clear valley wide reach something I'm sure he would love. And you can bet he already knows what the format will be when that happens. Very wise man.
Last edited by southy on Oct 19th, 2017, 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”