Am I Second Nations ?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Am I Second Nations ?

Post by good-cause-girl »

I am not trying to be rude or mean here but I have over heard a conversation that really made me wonder this question.

First Nations are the 1st people, I got that. But as the wave of settlers came over on boats and basically stole the best of the best from the first people and ran with it and never looked back, we all now feel like WE own this Country not them.

So, now we are all up in arms about the newest threat to OUR way as we have it. . .

Are we the 2nd nations people and the new to our country the 3rd nations? What are we? Settlers? Common land pirates? Or are we entitled to some sort of compensation because we are now having the land we stole and our values being pushed to the side to make way for the newest wave of settlers and we are kinda *bleep* about this. Just like the 1st nations are *bleep*, and for what seems like forever because they can never ever be satisfied because we are here now spouting off about how hard done by the new people make us 2nd people feel......

In all honesty I like many of our new Canadians. They have stories you could never hear anywhere else and we are welcoming them here, yay for us, BUT, so many non Native people are starting to say that this is OUR Country not theirs. Um, we did steal it, BUT we have been here now for a few generations and feel it is our land.

Is there such a thing as "Second Nations"? And do we/us have any status for being the first thieves?
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Am I Second Nations ?

Post by jimmy4321 »

Don't even suggest we are being put in the same situations as first nations.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

do we/us have any status for being the first thieves?

Don't think for a minute that all of the "first " nations didn't steal from and kill each other for territory since the day they got here either ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

MAPearce wrote:
Don't think for a minute that all of the "first " nations didn't steal from and kill each other for territory since the day they got here either ..

Just a deflection.
How first nations conducted themselves amongst themselves on their property true or not in no way excuse or justify what Brits etc did, and Canada early on.

The fact that you felt the need to make this statement is an attitude that's a result of decades and decades of racism and discrimination passed down. Much of my family could have made that same statement and have carried the same attitudes despite having a couple of ancestors who were First Nations themselves.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Sit on it Jimmy ... Just because I know my history about how aboriginals treated each other since the dawn of time AND pointed it out doesn't make me a racist.

But calling me one because of it makes YOU one ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Before this thread gets carried away, keep the discussion to the topic and don't start making it personal.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So I guess the fact that Europeans who at the time were fighting amongst themselves arrive at a new to them land and find people who are fighting amongst themselves should open their arms and greet them with love and flowers and all is well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 20th, 2017, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

jimmy4321 wrote: but the fact is the original post came from some profound ignorance and delusion of today.

The OP appears to want some clarification related to a discussion she overheard - saying it was from ignorance and delusion of today doesn't make a great point. There will always be people moving to other countries and that society will evolve as a result. I wouldn't say Second Nations myself.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

What actually determines how you define what country you came from? I would suggest that where you are born may be a good indicator.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Fancy wrote:The OP appears to want some clarification related to a discussion she overheard - saying it was from ignorance and delusion of today doesn't make a great point. There will always be people moving to other countries and that society will evolve as a result. I wouldn't say Second Nations myself.

I laugh when I hear the OP say they believe to be "Second Nation" or whatever and try to make comparism with the First Nations because of basically the "new" to Canada.
Goes to show how much "Second Nation" or whatever you wanna call it really know of facts.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

jimmy4321 wrote: I laugh when I hear the OP say they believe to be "Second Nation" or whatever and try to make comparism with the First Nations because of basically the "new" to Canada.
Goes to show how much "Second Nation" or whatever you wanna call it really know of facts.
Maybe slow down and read the post again - maybe answer the question? I'm not going to ridicule the OP for putting out a thought out there.
Is there such a thing as "Second Nations"?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 20th, 2017, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to off topic post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

good-cause-girl wrote:Is there such a thing as "Second Nations"?

I'm not sure why the world is so caught up with labels these days.

As far as I'm concerned there is already a word to describe them all including First Nations, and that word is immigrants.

Everyone came from elsewhere, and when they did so is really irrelevant.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

jimmy4321 wrote:Don't even suggest we are being put in the same situations as first nations.

Remind everyone why the OP isn't to suggest ideas?

Personally, I see no gain from defining my status in the "new world". I was born here by parents who were born here. I think that makes me Canadian if I had to apply a label.

Return to “Social Concerns”