Time for Alternative Transportation

AlienSoldier
Übergod

Re: Time for Alternative Transportation

Post by AlienSoldier »

OKkayak wrote:
GordonH wrote:
Good idea congest hwy 97 with more vehicles

What do dedicated bus routes, especially elevated ones have to with adding more vehicles to Hwy 97?

I agree with most of what your saying OKkayak. I only prefer LRT's over dedicated bus routes due to the fact that over the life of the vehicles the maintenance and total operating costs of LRT's are far less than buses. Flexibility to move on a dedicated Bus line or LRT would be the same in my mind.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I'm not convinced more vehicles will mean more traffic 20, 30, and 40 years from now. With the pace that technology is improving, the world will be a much different place by then.

We're not all that far away from autonomous vehicles being the norm. Once we reach that point, the movement of traffic will become many times more efficient than what we currently have. AI is much smarter than a bunch of idiots who can't coordinate their movements efficiently. Our traffic laws, lights, and infrastructure do the best they can but are no match for how efficient AI will be able to move us.

Some of you are applying current day technology and infrastructure to a future that will hardly resemble where we are now.

Just one example... when you're the 20th car back at a stop light, how long does it take you to be able to start moving once the light turns green? It takes quite awhile because every single car in front of you needs to wait until the car in front of them starts moving before they can move. Now if our cars are all speaking to one another and to the infrastructure built around them, then the AI can start moving our autonomous vehicles at exactly the same time. There's a ton of efficiencies to gain.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

It sure seems like some of you bought the pitch by Lyle Lanley hook, line, and sinker. However, you need to lookup what happened in North Haverbrook after they built their monorail on his recommendation.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

AlienSoldier wrote:I agree with most of what your saying OKkayak. I only prefer LRT's over dedicated bus routes due to the fact that over the life of the vehicles the maintenance and total operating costs of LRT's are far less than buses.

The initial costs of a rail line alone, would pay for bus maintenance for a very long time. You also have to keep in mind, the costs of maintaining the rails themselves can be very costly and usually outweigh the cost of maintaining buses, which is why several cities in Europe are tearing up rails and turning them into bus routes.
AlienSoldier wrote:Flexibility to move on a dedicated Bus line or LRT would be the same in my mind.

The thing with a rail line, is once its built, thats all you have. A dedicated bus route can have several roads coming in and out of it and be customized as demand needs or shifts. Just as an example, lets say you have a dedicated rail line going from West Kelowna to UBCO, any passenger that doesn't catch it right from one of the stations, will need to get off a bus and transfer. If you were to do the same with a dedicated bus route, you could have various buses coming in from various parts of town, feed on to the bus route, reducing the number of required transfers, making the system more efficient and passenger friendly and effectively increase ridership. If something happens on a rail line, maintenance, needed repair, stalled train, then the whole system shuts down, where as a bus route system, the buses can be directed off route to bypass the problem.

Anyway, thats my view on the topic :130:
Last edited by OKkayak on Aug 1st, 2018, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Jonrox wrote:It sure seems like some of you bought the pitch by Lyle Lanley hook, line, and sinker. However, you need to lookup what happened in North Haverbrook after they built their monorail on his recommendation.

Monorail is King [icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Central Okanagan”