$1,000/year for water in West Kelowna?

LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: $1,000/year for water in West Kelowna?

Post by LTD »

not very practical no way you could have kept a cistern full this past summer and hauling water is really no fun been there done that
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Jflem1983 wrote:
techrtr wrote:
I think the logic is that golf courses bring tourists who spend money at other businesses in the area and generate a lot of revenue. Thus, the use of water is justified much more than green grass in residential areas.

God i am so tired of Kelowna bending for people who dont live here . Tourism is pretty much the lowest form of commerce. It brings nothing but traffic. The money spent would be easily replaced by industry if we had any.

So true.

To make this a liveable city, hard working, tax paying, caring, concerned residents have to come first.

But not in our lifetime. City Council bends over for the tourist dollars.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

West Kelowna has no tax revenue. Concrete jungle on Native land. Natives pay no tax. Taxes and water rates will keep increasing in that crap hole.
Get used to it.
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

johnrae wrote:West Kelowna has no tax revenue. Concrete jungle on Native land. Natives pay no tax. Taxes and water rates will keep increasing in that crap hole.

Interesting point...except the "crap hole" comment unless you are referring to "downtown" Westbank. Sorry, We (heart) Westbank folks. The truth hurts sometimes.

If WK and more small center governments concentrated more on building a tax base rather than constantly squeezing the existing one, we might see a real sustainable economic community.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

Hey...just another comment to move this chain to the top since the new water rates hit this year...since it's in the headlines in the past day or so.

$907 year for water for everyone in West Kelowna to pay in funding a $50 million dollar water treatment plant for Rose Valley Lake. Water that is already good but needs to be upgraded to great for $50 million.

Sure..."water advisories" for Lakeview. Sandwich boards on street corners of due diligence and a $50,000,000 cover your *bleep* plant for a sooo distant a risk in memories of Walkerton 2000 that the local politicians and bureaucrats can sleep at night without risk of a lawyer breaking down their oh-so-comfortable doors.

West Kelowna is not big enough to support unnecessary project like this and passing the cost along to the few taxpayers who live here.

And just bugger off you clowns who like a green lawn in the middle of a dry summer. Go post something in a gardening forum.
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

steve mc wrote:my guess is the average home with lawn or garden will pay 2500.00 per year 30% of water use is unacounted unmeter stolen 30%agriculture which pay for2% 95% of agriculture has nothing to do with food production a large percentage of ag water user dont even meet the requirement to be classed as farms, the largest user and waster is the city which uses 15% and that leaves the customers who use 25% paying 100%plus administration fees.

What is your source of this???
jcow84

Post by jcow84 »

Here's a brochure from City of WK that outlines new water pricing rates.
http://www.westkelownacity.ca/DocumentCenter/View/8851
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

I worked in the water supply for 37years ,city claims 30% is unacounted ,I also attended a couple of water rate reviews, and agri water rate reviews, we are really getting hammered by so called farmers the city has many agri water users who dont even meet minial farm requirement,if I used the same amount of water they used per acre 7000.00 they pay200.00
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

The city needs to balance the interests of farms with the rest of the population. Otherwise you are looking at a lot of issues building up and coming out in a not so professional manner. I believe farmers should pay 40% or so of what the rest of the city pays.
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

the 30% unacounted really gets me, maybe 5% but still leaves 25% they dont get a dime for,run any other bussness like that, how long before you go broke, just pass the cost off on the rest of ratepayers,
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

steve mc wrote:I worked in the water supply for 37years ,city claims 30% is unacounted ,I also attended a couple of water rate reviews, and agri water rate reviews, we are really getting hammered by so called farmers the city has many agri water users who dont even meet minial farm requirement,if I used the same amount of water they used per acre 7000.00 they pay200.00

Lol. Really the city doesnt know where this water goes lol
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

LTD wrote:I'm sure golf courses and farming will be exempt from this tho, farming I can understand but golf courses should be paying the highest rates

And pass it on to the consumer which in turn would make for a lesser desire to crank balls on their course.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Jflem1983 wrote:
techrtr wrote:I think the logic is that golf courses bring tourists who spend money at other businesses in the area and generate a lot of revenue. Thus, the use of water is justified much more than green grass in residential areas.

God i am so tired of Kelowna bending for people who dont live here . Tourism is pretty much the lowest form of commerce. It brings nothing but traffic. The money spent would be easily replaced by industry if we had any.

Tourism is one of BCs largest industries, outpacing forestry, agriculture and fishing in growth in recent years.
In 2015, the tourism industry in BC generated $15.7 billion in revenue. It is also the province’s third largest employer, employing near 150,000 people, across roughly 20,000 private businesses.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Previous owner ran a line around the meter. Water is free off one of the taps. Good job to the previous owner. Wish all my taps were like that

Hope they don't catch you...jail is not a friendly place!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ken7 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Previous owner ran a line around the meter. Water is free off one of the taps. Good job to the previous owner. Wish all my taps were like that

Hope they don't catch you...jail is not a friendly place!

Ha ppl dont even get jail for robbery here. For having a bad water line. On a really old house ? Ill do the time lol
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “Central Okanagan”