Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Post by Catri »

Today a "big steel box" was delivered to someone on my street and it was dropped in the road allowance (no curbs or sidewalks here), essentially parallel parked in front of the house, very close to the traveled portion of the road. Not only is it unsightly and illegal, it's going to make that portion of the road get a lot narrower when the snowplow comes by. I complained to the city about this same issue at a different address a couple of years ago. They diligently came out and the offending shipping container was taken away. I don't want to be the civic policeman for my street and won't bother calling in bylaw this time, but it makes me wonder whether the people who operate these container rental companies know where they should and should not be placed and don't care, or are just ignorant of the rules regarding their business. I suspect the former...and it annoys. My husband's suggestion was to go slap a "free" sign on it and wait for the anonymous and invisible collectors of roadside stuff to magically make it disappear.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Re: Shipping Containers "parked" on city streets

Post by RVThereYet »

Catri wrote:Today a "big steel box" was delivered to someone on my street and it was dropped in the road allowance (no curbs or sidewalks here), essentially parallel parked in front of the house, very close to the traveled portion of the road. Not only is it unsightly and illegal, it's going to make that portion of the road get a lot narrower when the snowplow comes by. I complained to the city about this same issue at a different address a couple of years ago. They diligently came out and the offending shipping container was taken away. I don't want to be the civic policeman for my street and won't bother calling in bylaw this time, but it makes me wonder whether the people who operate these container rental companies know where they should and should not be placed and don't care, or are just ignorant of the rules regarding their business. I suspect the former...and it annoys. My husband's suggestion was to go slap a "free" sign on it and wait for the anonymous and invisible collectors of roadside stuff to magically make it disappear.

I wonder given the close proximity to month end if its a temporary placement to accommodate moving out of the home? however, if there a adequate room on their property (driveway, front yard etc.) it should be placed there and not on the road.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

I wouldn't fret just yet. It was only dropped off today !! They are probably moving and will be loading it up to take it away. So it is no different than a UHaul parked there.

If they plan on leaving it there for weeks on end, different story.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

The delivery companies usually follow the clients' instructions. If the client was dumb enough to assume it's fine to drop it on the street, that's what they would do.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Not a big deal but it is illegal. Like having a car without insurance parked on public property. If it causes an accident then the company or renters of it would be on the hook. I wonder if on the fine print on the contract the company isn’t responsible for where it is placed.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Yeah, I didn't complain about the last one until it had been sitting there for six months while the homeowner did renovations. This one is parked in front of an owner occupied home that hasn't been on the market, so I assume it's not an end of the month move, but time will tell. It's not the end of the world, it's just something that I think these companies should be more responsible about.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Who cares? Somebody is probably moving. If they move into it due to our horrific rental market then you can complain.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

Mind your business OP , It only got there today.

Every neighborhood has the "complainer"
and if you cant figure out who it is then you may need to think a bit harder
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Catri wrote:Yeah, I didn't complain about the last one until it had been sitting there for six months while the homeowner did renovations. This one is parked in front of an owner occupied home that hasn't been on the market, so I assume it's not an end of the month move, but time will tell. It's not the end of the world, it's just something that I think these companies should be more responsible about.

Have you considered calling the container company with your concerns? Their contact info is clearly on every container. Meanwhile, try and have just a tiny bit of compassion and understanding for those likely burdened with the joy of moving over the Xmas holidays, or as you've admittedly already witnessed, the joy of living through a major home renovation. Who knows, some day you just may find a need for one of those containers yourself, and hopefully another Gladys Kravitz doesn't make your life just that much more difficult by having nothing better to do than complaining about your moving container.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh man, I can't believe this. The shipping container is there for ONE freakin day?

Whatever happened to "live and let live"? Now if it's there for a month, okay, then do some investigative work, but for Gods Sake, much ado about nothing.

Go do something constructive. Seriously.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

stevemic wrote:Mind your business OP , It only got there today.

Every neighborhood has the "complainer"
and if you cant figure out who it is then you may need to think a bit harder

Slow down cowboy , I think you missed some things here , specially this ..

but it makes me wonder whether the people who operate these container rental companies know where they should and should not be placed and don't care, or are just ignorant of the rules regarding their business.

I think it's just a question , and a valid one at that ....

My money is on that they do indeed know it's illegal but because it's only "for a few days" as the renter suggests at the time of "purchase" , they know they can get away with it ....

And if they do get a call from bylaw , they come and move it at the owners expense ....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Ok maybe I'm completely crazy for thinking of this. Have you tried knocking on the door of the home and saying

"hey I noticed you had this container dropped off today how long do you think it might be on the street? Just curious only because of all the snow coming and I would hate to see someone hit it or it possiblity cause an accident due to the road being so narrow now".

Simply talking to people can go a long way. We happen to have someone in our area that constantly calles the police and bylaw every chance they get. Please don't be that guy in your neighborhood as I'm sure they have much better things to do. Just go talk to them and see what they gotta say.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

My dad just moved this summer and they had one of those for less than a week, is it better to leave you belongings in the driveway so people can have a free for all? First world problem....NIMBY at its finest.
Sure do love Rutland!!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

phasyluck wrote:My dad just moved this summer and they had one of those for less than a week, is it better to leave you belongings in the driveway so people can have a free for all? First world problem....NIMBY at its finest.

3 pizzas and 24 beer and me and my crew could have'er done in hours...

PM me for me " the deets"
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

They wil, pick it up and move it into your driveway or nearby for 175 buxl
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”