WFN tax

phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: WFN tax

Post by phasyluck »

How was the pricing of food and drink in comparison to your average non native establishment?
Sure do love Rutland!!
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

voice of reason wrote:so the indians can make up their own tax now?

What’s the difference between the federal government writing tax laws on their land the Indian band writing tax laws on theirs?
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

phasyluck wrote:How was the pricing of food and drink in comparison to your average non native establishment?

Indigenous World Winery
http://www.redfoxclub.ca/menu

Volcanic Hills Estate Winery
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/3f0620_71 ... 781177.pdf
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Brass Monkey wrote:
What’s the difference between the federal government writing tax laws on their land the Indian band writing tax laws on theirs?

the crown already owns the indian reserve

The Indian Act is clear that status Indians do not own property on reserves. The Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada may issue a "Certificate of Possession" to a status Indian for a portion of reserve land, but underlying title to the land remains vested with the Crown. Thus, Indian reserve land cannot be sold except to the Crown and does not appreciate in value the same way that property held in fee simple does for other Canadians. This makes it very difficult for a status Indian to borrow funds to build a house on reserve.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Brass Monkey wrote:What’s the difference between the federal government writing tax laws on their land the Indian band writing tax laws on theirs?

The Federal Government governs all of Canada yet provinces have their own sales taxes as do municipalities. I see no reason a band cannot have a similar application of those concepts.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

coffeeFreak wrote:It's basically the equivalent of provincial tax, something those of us who live off-reserve benefit from. And they have an infrastructure that needs to be supported too, so good on them!

I'm curious what you meant by this comment, can you explain how we off reserve would benefit from the WFT or is that member of the WBFN benefit from.

Thanks.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think what she meant was off reserve people benefit from provincial tax. On reserve have an equivalent tax to benefit their residents.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

They are self governing so of course they have taxation. News flash: they also charge a property tax equivalent!
You and 71 others Like this post
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

LANDM wrote:They are self governing so of course they have taxation. News flash: they also charge a property tax equivalent!

Do those taxes collected in anyway reduce the Federal funding to the band and put them on a path of more self reliance?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Westbank First Nation's own source revenue capacity shall be taken into account in the determination of funding set out in the financial transfer agreement for programs and services which Westbank First Nation provides pursuant to jurisdictions set out in the Agreement.

https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/11001 ... 1768#chp25
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Ken7 wrote:
coffeeFreak wrote:It's basically the equivalent of provincial tax, something those of us who live off-reserve benefit from. And they have an infrastructure that needs to be supported too, so good on them!

I'm curious what you meant by this comment, can you explain how we off reserve would benefit from the WFT or is that member of the WBFN benefit from.

Thanks.

Fancy is correct in saying I was meaning a benefit for on-reserve people, but I think everyone who lives/leases/shops on the reserve would likely benefit, just as we do via provincial and municipal taxes. Eg paving, snow removal, lights...
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I never even noticed the tax when i was there . Food was exceptional as was the wine , bill was about 70 bucks, pretty cheap date night . Considering when you order in chinese delivery is 75 bucks which seems to me was always 35 .
Last edited by Zoso on Jan 16th, 2018, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strong and free
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Fancy wrote:I think what she meant was off reserve people benefit from provincial tax. On reserve have an equivalent tax to benefit their residents.

Don't aboriginals benefit from a tax free status ???
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

MAPearce wrote:
Don't aboriginals benefit from a tax free status ???

If you have "status" and work on-reserve or purchase items on-reserve then you benefit by not paying taxes. However the taxes you are referring to have nothing to do with the WFN taxes being discussed here.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Rider59 wrote:
LANDM wrote:They are self governing so of course they have taxation. News flash: they also charge a property tax equivalent!

Do those taxes collected in anyway reduce the Federal funding to the band and put them on a path of more self reliance?

I think the Westbank FN do pretty well for themselves and the numerous corp. and business's they own and operate. Personally i'm impressed with how they've grown in the last 10-15 years. Other area's could learn from their business model/plan.

Return to “Central Okanagan”