Thomson Flats... Goodbye Hills, Hello Urban Sprawl

Sparki55
Guru

Re: Thomson Flats... Goodbye Hills, Hello Urban Sprawl

Post by Sparki55 »

firsttimecaller wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:To all those saying good job council for rejecting housing when prices keep climbing:

What are your ideas on how to add more SFH's to the city of Kelowna?
Infrastructure needs to catch up in this particular area as well as several other areas in the City. There are other areas to develop throughout the city that would suitable for SFH's that could handle this type of growth at this moment in time.

Just because this particular plan wasn't great doesn't mean there aren't more suitable ideas that could provide single family homes for the masses that suddenly decided they NEED to move to Kelowna.

How about instead of building 600 homes in one area, council approves several smaller projects throughout the city.
Council will not approve any SFH's tho, it doesn't fit their densification plan. The "other locations" are also not on the table with a developer willing to build homes.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Sparki55 wrote:
firsttimecaller wrote:
Infrastructure needs to catch up in this particular area as well as several other areas in the City. There are other areas to develop throughout the city that would suitable for SFH's that could handle this type of growth at this moment in time.

Just because this particular plan wasn't great doesn't mean there aren't more suitable ideas that could provide single family homes for the masses that suddenly decided they NEED to move to Kelowna.

How about instead of building 600 homes in one area, council approves several smaller projects throughout the city.
Council will not approve any SFH's tho, it doesn't fit their densification plan. The "other locations" are also not on the table with a developer willing to build homes.
There are 1000 already approved new homes in Upper Mission.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Sparki55 wrote:Council will not approve any SFH's tho, it doesn't fit their densification plan.
Not very familiar with Kelowna's OCP, but if true, that would send SFH prices to the stratosphere and beyond. However, there is a lot of SFH development happening in West Kelowna (eg. Shannon Lake and area).
LittleBoy

Post by LittleBoy »

I did listen to the presentation by city staff and I was very impressed with their research and delivery of the information. Data relating to traffic flow and avg. distance travelled for the different micro-regions of Kelowna was fascinating.

A couple of things I pulled from the decision: get familiar with the term "urban infill" and Kelowna has finally drawn a line in the sand RE: climate change and Image Kelowna is a real thing.

I am overall happy with the final decision.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

LittleBoy wrote:A couple of things I pulled from the decision: get familiar with the term "urban infill" and Kelowna has finally drawn a line in the sand RE: climate change and Image Kelowna is a real thing.
That sounds pretty scary to me.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

LittleBoy wrote:I did listen to the presentation by city staff and I was very impressed with their research and delivery of the information. Data relating to traffic flow and avg. distance travelled for the different micro-regions of Kelowna was fascinating.

A couple of things I pulled from the decision: get familiar with the term "urban infill" and Kelowna has finally drawn a line in the sand RE: climate change and Image Kelowna is a real thing.

I am overall happy with the final decision.
James Moore was awesome for staff. Prepared, articulate, and patience to no end with a large number of councilor questions framed as "we want to build it no matter what you say".

Return to “Central Okanagan”