$100M town centre plan

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

$100M town centre plan

Post by Grandan »

I just looked at the plan and see that Sutherland is slated to be pushed through to Spall.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#216166
It seems a bit much to me.
Waste not
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: $100M town centre plan

Post by dirtybiker »

That is quite the vision.

Looks like the idealists got a new box of crayons.

I was trying to say something positive..That is the best
I could do.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Quick look at the map, tells me homeowners in the Pacific court extension. May not be happy to having to move, unless the CoK pays big bucks.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Or Sutherland going through the middle of all those small businesses and what ??
Tack shop to Princess Auto driveway ??? To ???
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

dirtybiker wrote:That is quite the vision.

Looks like the idealists got a new box of crayons.

I was trying to say something positive..That is the best
I could do.

:laugh: [icon_lol2.gif] :up:
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

dirtybiker wrote:Or Sutherland going through the middle of all those small businesses and what ??

It may be that some land owners in the Kirschner Rd area are making redevelopment noises. So, in exchange for high rises, they get to build a whole new road system.
The existing road system between Kirschner and Spall is pathetic. You have a choice of deaking through by Princess Auto or taking the lane behind Andres Electronics, neither of which is a proper road. In that respect I can appreciate the rationale for Sutherland extension. Many of the businesses in that area are concrete block warehouses with very limited ability to expand due to lack of proper road access. I always thought it was crazy to build the way it was done with just private driveways but it was just another weird thing that Kelowna did.
Waste not
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Grandan wrote:I just looked at the plan and see that Sutherland is slated to be pushed through to Spall.

Your right. Instead of extending Sutherland they should direct all the new traffic caused by the development on to Harvey Ave. Everyone knows there is plenty of room on Harvey Ave for thousands of more cars so why not?

They should totally hire you for any future city designs because you obviously know better.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

dirtybiker wrote:Or Sutherland going through the middle of all those small businesses and what ??

That's what's puzzling me, what exactly the point is to bringing Sutherland to that location?

Maybe another light planned spitting distance from the one at Spall and Springfield. :biggrin:

It's not as if that area doesn't already have enough challenges, dealing with the putzes coming out of Princess Auto being a big one.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Grandan wrote:I just looked at the plan and see that Sutherland is slated to be pushed through to Spall.

Wave101 wrote:Your right. Instead of extending Sutherland they should direct all the new traffic caused by the development on to Harvey Ave. Everyone knows there is plenty of room on Harvey Ave for thousands of more cars so why not?

They're more than likely going to end up on Harvey anyway so why screw up another road?

It's hard to see the benefit of spending money moving roads around when the existing ones work just fine.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Old Techie wrote: so why screw up another road?

It's hard to see the benefit of spending money moving roads around when the existing ones work just fine.

You kinda answered your own question.
Screwing with what works and putting things in place that likely won't,
seem to be the way it is done around here.

Maybe I'm just not a visionary, I just don't see a point in building a road to nowhere
when the ones that do (go somewhere) could use some attention.

How about an over-pass at Spall ?
Another at Airport Way ?

Get rid of that ridiculous light at University Way ?

But, I'm no visionary. Just a citizen that can see a City that is badly constipated.

There are densification projects coming out our ying-yang that speculators envision
being plumb full of warm bodies.
Yet no way for the Transportation Industry to efficiently get about town to move the goods and
services required of all the good people.
And the good people no way to efficiently move to aquire their goods.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Wave101 wrote:Your right. Instead of extending Sutherland they should direct all the new traffic caused by the development on to Harvey Ave. Everyone knows there is plenty of room on Harvey Ave for thousands of more cars so why not?

They should totally hire you for any future city designs because you obviously know better.

Seeming a bit much to me and your extension of the argument to suggest I am favour of Harvey is bogus.
After some further review of the plan I went on to say:
The existing road system between Kirschner and Spall is pathetic. You have a choice of deaking through by Princess Auto or taking the lane behind Andres Electronics, neither of which is a proper road. In that respect I can appreciate the rationale for Sutherland extension. Many of the businesses in that area are concrete block warehouses with very limited ability to expand due to lack of proper road access.

This is a plan that will require more review and input and may or may not proceed in it's present form. It seemed a bit much on first look but I am coming around to to concept except for the $100 million hit to taxpayers.
BTW it is you're right which is an abbreviation for you are not your right which would refer to my right side or hand or whatever.
Waste not
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Didn't they just spend a bunch to tart up Sutherland? And when ever they say " lots of greenspace" I translate that to a small park bench facing the road.
$100 million? Guess easy enough to say when it isn't your money you are spending.
And then maybe they can come up with another fake tax ( like GST) to off set the costs.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

normaM wrote:Didn't they just spend a bunch to tart up Sutherland?

If they did I'm not sure what they spent it on. Looks just as ratbagged as ever.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

lightspeed wrote:
If they did I'm not sure what they spent it on. Looks just as ratbagged as ever.

I diagree. it does look better, Just nowhere to park a semi now so as to go
get the best darn bagel and cream cheese known.
cruzwear

Post by cruzwear »

Looking at another avenue for traffic to run parallel to the highway is good.. traffic is increasing rapidly with this new housing boom. We must think long term, even if the plan gets tweaked, along the way. It would be a beautiful and useful corridor and would have to be done slowly as buildings come available to redesign to align to the plan.. I think it is a great vision. I am thankful for visionaries... and glad our city is NOT run by those without foresight and imagination like other communities in this valley.

Return to “Central Okanagan”