Home based business bylaw

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Home based business bylaw

Post by Catri »

It sounds like after 15 years, your business might have outgrown being home based.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Catri wrote:It sounds like after 15 years, your business might have outgrown being home based.

More than likely just different neighbours over time.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

It seems to me that bylaw is actually doing the right thing. If you run a taxi business (limo whatever), you can't be running it out of your house. Seriously, rent some space and stick to all the regulations.

Five vehicles? If I was your neighbor, I'd be calling the bylaw too.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Government once again over stretching their rights and boundaries with people being able to do what they want for the most part on their own property. For them to be able to boss you around and tell you what you can and cannot park on your property does not seem like a free country anymore. We should post a number to complain about it so people can quickly call up and put their two cents into the appropriate government level. 100 people to call in saying that's BS might actually do something come election time
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

common_sense_guy wrote:Government once again over stretching their rights and boundaries with people being able to do what they want for the most part on their own property. For them to be able to boss you around and tell you what you can and cannot park on your property does not seem like a free country anymore. We should post a number to complain about it so people can quickly call up and put their two cents into the appropriate government level. 100 people to call in saying that's BS might actually do something come election time

Common sense would tell you that these bylaws are in place for a reason. These bylaws give the city a tool to use when they get complaints from neighbours about neighbours that are causing a problem.

Does not seem like a free country anymore? Should neighbourhoods be a free for all?

What about the person trying to sell their home and their market value has been decreased because of the unsightly premise next door? Or worse yet the place just won’t sell because of it.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

common_sense_guy wrote:does not seem like a free country anymore.

Freedom of somebody running a taxi park out of their home should end as soon as it interferes with freedom of people trying to enjoy their neighborhood's peace and quiet.
UncleChubs

Post by UncleChubs »

Wow - this bylaw guy is impressive. He deals with a ranting, emotional and aggressive woman (along with her male sidekick/video man) in a calm, professional manner. Thumbs up, sir!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

UncleChubs wrote:Wow - this bylaw guy is impressive. He deals with a ranting, emotional and aggressive woman (along with her male sidekick/video man) in a calm, professional manner. Thumbs up, sir!

Pretty much he was in a losing battle. Just sit in the truck say a few things on why he has to enforce...and then just take it...you don't want to say anything more.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

susyq wrote:The bylaw guy is a bit of a bully, you know, he has the power kinda dude, & talks down to you......
I have called & emailed bylaw people & either they don't know the actual bylaws or there is no bylaw that exists as to having vehicles come onto your property, not parking on property, just coming to property.
If all the home based businesses in Kelowna can not have a marked company vehicle at their property, then Bylaw guys better get on ticketing everyone, not just me!!!!!

Problem in dealing with such types, is generally the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing, but they have the power so think whatever they decide won't be questioned, or worse yet they can interpret regulations any way they choose.

I'm guessing one of your neighbors doesn't like your vehicles, and put in a call, because that's generally why the jerks show up.

Need to find the right lawyer who can cut through the BS.

I've tried to deal with city hall, and it's maddening, as you can ask three different clerks the same question, and you'll get three completely different answers.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

TreeGuy wrote:
dirtguy wrote:The women in that video is one of those people, i bet she says "id like to speak with the manager" on a weekly basis...imho :smt045

FC53C776-8916-42A3-AB84-AD630451E71F.jpeg

That "woman" needs a shave.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

This home based business wouldn't happen to be just off McCurdy Rd in Rutland would it? I've been through that neighbourhood before and recall seeing a limotruck, a couple limos, and a bunch of other vehicles parked all over Hells 1/2 acre. Just wondering. If it is the same place, you should count your lucky stars they haven't already ticketed you in the past. Maybe your time is up.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

TreeGuy wrote:And then there is this lady.

That was very interesting. How has it been resolved. She was pretty good in the way she was dealing with it!
You and 71 others Like this post
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

common_sense_guy wrote:Government once again over stretching their rights and boundaries with people being able to do what they want for the most part on their own property. For them to be able to boss you around and tell you what you can and cannot park on your property does not seem like a free country anymore. We should post a number to complain about it so people can quickly call up and put their two cents into the appropriate government level. 100 people to call in saying that's BS might actually do something come election time

All bylaw enforcement is complaint driven. The bylaws were developed so neighbours didn't have to listen to buddy pound on mufflers until the wee hours of the morning, stink up the neigbourhood or have customers coming and going at all hours.
Bylaws are there because the people wanted them. Bylaw enforcement is there because you are a problem to the community and any amount of reason does not work on you, only fines make a point with you. Things are the way they are because the majority of people want them that way. If you don't like bylaws move somewhere where they don't have them, set up a society where you set your own rules or no rules at all.
I suspect in the case of the OP that verbal warnings did not work.
Waste not
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

LANDM wrote:
TreeGuy wrote:And then there is this lady.

That was very interesting. How has it been resolved. She was pretty good in the way she was dealing with it!

You must mean he. Cause she was whiny and entitled.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I had an interview with a Rutland home based limo company 2 years ago ( although I did not accept the job )
If it's the same business, they had a nice fence that concealed everything nicely.
I can't picture them having any complaints, unless one of their employees peed off their neighbours.

Return to “Central Okanagan”