AirBnB taxable

Jlabute
Guru

AirBnB taxable

Post by Jlabute »

So, the extra revenue should go to REDUCING property tax?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: AirBnB taxable

Post by GordonH »

Thread started here:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=77149&p=2308280#p2308280

should be in Central Okanagan
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

AIRBNB should be banned in my opinion it is the root cause for massive rent increases and unnecessary strain on all housing markets....
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

motokelowna1 wrote:AIRBNB should be banned in my opinion it is the root cause for massive rent increases and unnecessary strain on all housing markets....

They could make it a matter of zoning? Leave it up to the communities and city councils to regulate the short term rental market.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

motokelowna1 wrote:AIRBNB should be banned in my opinion it is the root cause for massive rent increases and unnecessary strain on all housing markets....

It should be up to the owner what he does with his property.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have a friend that has started a similar concept. It is for the family and friends that have loved ones in the Cancer clinic, and/or are from out of town that need to be close to their family members during a stay at KGH.
The home is within a 5 minute walking distance of the hospital, has adequate off-street parking, and is self contained. Should they also be taxed for wanting/needing to be close to their loved ones too?
Bring back the LIKE button.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Nope you've confused Airbnb with developers like Westcorp and foreign buyers. They are responsible. Airbnb has very little impact in comparison. Remember most people who provide short term rentals wouldn't even think about long term rentals.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
entertained

Post by entertained »

alanjh595 wrote:I have a friend that has started a similar concept. It is for the family and friends that have loved ones in the Cancer clinic, and/or are from out of town that need to be close to their family members during a stay at KGH.
The home is within a 5 minute walking distance of the hospital, has adequate off-street parking, and is self contained. Should they also be taxed for wanting/needing to be close to their loved ones too?

if he charges...yes.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Love AIRBNB! Much better profit margin than long term rentals... :up:
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

sublime wrote:

Nope you've confused Airbnb with developers like Westcorp and foreign buyers. They are responsible. Airbnb has very little impact in comparison. Remember most people who provide short term rentals wouldn't even think about long term rentals.

I disagree with your comment regarding people not turning long term rentals into short term rentals. I happen to have several neighbours who have done just that. There are very few long term rentals available in our area now. It's almost all short term rentals even though it is not legal to do so where we live. The DLC is doing nothing to enforce it either.

More recently, rules had to be put in place and enforced for short term rentals in areas such as Tofino. Accommodations were no longer available for those wanting to work there. This was due to the large number of folks who had turned their long term rentals into short term rentals. They have now cracked down on those short term rentals. Places like Whistler are having to look into enforcing the rules as well. I visited last summer, and many of the local businesses were forced to close early and/or couldn't even open on some days due to lack of staff. Not because of a shortage of people wanting to work, but due to their inability to find housing, thanks to many long term rentals becoming short term rentals.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

vegas1500 wrote:Love AIRBNB! Much better profit margin than long term rentals... :up:
...and no beurocratic BS that accompanies long term renters either.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Since the city stands to make considerable money from this tax, don't expect regulations limiting Airbnbs anytime soon. I'm 100% sure this is why Airbnb is doing this.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

We book Airbnbs all the time when we are traveling. We travel a lot and have had great experiences 99% of the time. Kelowna needs Airbnb too because the hotels/motels are very expensive and it prohibits many from visiting here. People should have a decent option to visit this wonderful region that we love so much, don't you think? I am also sure that most are not party all night rentals, but families enjoying their holidays.
reidabix

Post by reidabix »

Love it, tax the hell out of them. Freaking pain in the behind Air BNB. Give the legit Bed and Breakfasts and Hotels a fair chance. Doss houses suck they always have, call it some fancy name like Air BNB but it is still a flop house. :up:
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

reidabix wrote:Love it, tax the hell out of them. Freaking pain in the behind Air BNB. Give the legit Bed and Breakfasts and Hotels a fair chance. Doss houses suck they always have, call it some fancy name like Air BNB but it is still a flop house. :up:

Can you maybe rewrite this in English please? What is Doss house and how have they always sucked? Are we talking about Airbnb’s here or what?

Return to “Central Okanagan”