Another Senior Drives Into Kelowna Building

Home of the traffic rant.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Another Senior Drives Into Kelowna Building

Post by kelowna_proud »

https://globalnews.ca/news/4030498/car- ... -business/

No wonder ICBC is so screwed. Make the Senior 100% at Fault and 100% out of pocket!.....No quick $500 deductible on crap like this. Make her pay for the damage to the building, and if she wants to fix her car that too. If she can't pay out of pocket for the damage add it onto her insurance or take her license and put a lien on her vehicle!
lensbaby
Board Meister

Re: Another Senior Drives Into Kelowna Building

Post by lensbaby »

kelowna_proud wrote:https://globalnews.ca/news/4030498/car-slams-into-kelowna-business/

No wonder ICBC is so screwed. Make the Senior 100% at Fault and 100% out of pocket!.....No quick $500 deductible on crap like this. Make her pay for the damage to the building, and if she wants to fix her car that too. If she can't pay out of pocket for the damage add it onto her insurance or take her license and put a lien on her vehicle!

The stats don't bear out this discriminatory point of view - https://www.ratelab.ca/age-affect/
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kelowna_proud wrote:https://globalnews.ca/news/4030498/car-slams-into-kelowna-business/

I have no problem with that as long as anyone rear ending or causing an accident while texting or talking on their cell phone pays as well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
squash junky
Fledgling

Post by squash junky »

ICBC is screwed because of politicians ......as so many things are.

This is what insurance is for.

Competency is for the gov't to check. (though I sense a contradiction here :biggrin: )
SPOCK

Post by SPOCK »

Every week there is another story of a senior hitting the "wrong" pedal. I fully support mandatory road tests every three years for anyone over 65. This alone will reduce ICBC expenditures a great deal. I am 67 and still race cars for a hobby but there are some my age who really should not be behind the wheel.

Just spend 20 minutes watching the drivers get out of their vehicles after they park in the Superstore handicapped stalls. They cannot even walk so how the hell can they hit a brake pedal in a hurry?
SPOCK
Live long and prosper.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

SPOCK wrote:Every week there is another story of a senior hitting the "wrong" pedal. I fully support mandatory road tests every three years for anyone over 65. This alone will reduce ICBC expenditures a great deal. I am 67 and still race cars for a hobby but there are some my age who really should not be behind the wheel.

Just spend 20 minutes watching the drivers get out of their vehicles after they park in the Superstore handicapped stalls. They cannot even walk so how the hell can they hit a brake pedal in a hurry?
Some people leave more room between vehicles and just because some people can't walk (that can go for any age group) doesn't mean they can't hit the brakes in a timely fashion. Mandatory testing should be for all ages considering how many age groups are reflected in the statistics.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

I have relatives in the nursing industry and we've had conversations around this subject before. The impression they gave me is that its generally up to doctors to decide someone shouldn't be driving anymore. The doctors however almost universally avoid the subject for various reasons.

The whole matter should be taken out of their hands, they should just test every driver with a full in vehicle driving test every 5-10 years depending on the age of the person in question.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

At least they crashed into the right building - all the rehab you need in there.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

CapitalB wrote:The whole matter should be taken out of their hands, they should just test every driver with a full in vehicle driving test every 5-10 years depending on the age of the person in question.

Ontario tests senior drivers every 2 years before renewing their DL.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver ... gram.shtml
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And doesn't help those that shouldn't be driving when they are handed a licence.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

3D1FA5D1-BB69-46E4-89CA-5C66145C10A8.jpeg
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Why just point out the seniors? Have a look at today's accidents. https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... up-in-town
No mention of the age and sex of the ones that have had much more serious accidents today.
If you notice the photo in the provided link, the perp. looks to be female and under 40.
Bring back the LIKE button.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

alanjh595 wrote:
Why just point out the seniors? Have a look at today's accidents. https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... up-in-town
No mention of the age and sex of the ones that have had much more serious accidents today.
If you notice the photo in the provided link, the perp. looks to be female and under 40.

Because if you look very carefully you will notice the subject line of the thread. Nothing to do with stupid drivers in the snow, there is another 2 or 3 threads for those idiots, this one is about seniors driving into buildings.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

And the MVA Hit and Run today was a confused 80 year old

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”