Defending property with force....Castanet poll

Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Re: Defending property with force....Castanet poll

Post by Brass Monkey »

bob vernon wrote:This issue is one of the few in which I have to agree with the Conservatives. Many Conservative backbenchers have wanted a loosening of gun laws in Canada to allow more firepower, and rights, in the hands of the public. When punks arrive and start looting your outbuildings in the middle of the night, they need to be faced with weapons with larger magazines, and more automatic firing as well. They tend to get braver when they realize you're not heavily armed and will try coming right into the house as well. Only the fear of death will discourage them.

a ruger 10/22 with 10 rounds is more than enough, an 870 remington with 00 buck is more than enough. We don't need more firearms, we all know what happens when you push for a "stand your ground" culture, you wind up with a messy gun violence epidemic like the US.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i will be judged by 12 loooooooooooong before me or my family members are carried by six because of some useless junkie breaking into my home to do god knows what to my family, some of you are ok with being victims of crime, not this guy
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

If the crooks and gangs had stiffer penalties for any of their crimes that involved guns or other weapons or harm - and I mean YEARS if it involves weaponry of any kind, they might think twice about committing armed crimes. Course that would be also dependent on getting them to Court in a timely fashion BEFORE the the Judge throws the case out for lack of prosecution due to posturing, game-playing slimy defence lawyers. That's another thing - too many ways to play the legal system. Doesn't matter if you are guilty and caught flaming red handed if you have a lawyer who plays the "technicalities" card. We could have 40 eyewitnesses to a crime and some lawyer someway will find a loophole to get a walk for the perp knowing full-well he's guilty. Guess since the perp didn't hurt their family it's a-okay.

We need justice reform in the worst way and NOBODY IS LISTENING who can do anything about it. I don't get it.....

If we have a legal system that was any kind of a deterrent then we wouldn't need guns - which is how I'd like it but I'll get ripped for that comment I'm sure. I prefer a good ol' fashioned dog with big teeth on duty, and/or the can of Raid spray (fitting name for the event) as someone suggested. I don't want to off the idiot, I just want him to not want to ever come to MY house again and help himself.
Last edited by dle on Mar 7th, 2018, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

CapitalB wrote:If you have stuff worth shooting someone to protect you should have insurance on it. If you have insurance on it you should be significantly less concerned with stopping the thieves. If your stuff is insured but your still itching to fire off a warning shot you probably just want to shoot your gun and scare people.

This is why insurance is so expensive, make a claim or two, the deductible in home insurance isn't fun.

There needs to be a legal form of resistance otherwise your stuff is free for the taking when your not home and when you are home - then add to that risks to you and your family. I'm not clear on the laws but knowing Canada i'm sure there's more that could be done for home protection.
It sounds like Police are always spread out thinly and there's always priorities, i can only guess the idea of them rolling in when somethings in progress or immediately after is slim to none.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

I like that everyone here is super worried about people breaking into their homes while we're living in a time and place where crime rates have never been lower. Literally the safest its ever been.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

CapitalB wrote:I like that everyone here is super worried about people breaking into their homes while we're living in a time and place where crime rates have never been lower. Literally the safest its ever been.

I agree, if it were widespread the pitchforks & torches would be out nationwide
Still, it's a serious issue that if you are the victim you can lose it all not to mention the money required to keep you free.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Everyone that is armed, (and some that aren't) should post a sign.

This home and property are protected by Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.
They are very good at what the do.
If you are here to cause any harm to these residents or their property
you should consider your choices wisely.

This could be the last choice you are able to make.
Bring back the LIKE button.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

CapitalB wrote:I like that everyone here is super worried about people breaking into their homes while we're living in a time and place where crime rates have never been lower. Literally the safest its ever been.

Any actual stats to back these claims up?
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

cv23 wrote:

Any actual stats to back these claims up?

Yes, stats please....
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

StatsCan wrote:According to Statistics Canada, the Central Okanagan, with Kelowna being the hub, comes in second overall across the country for the number of crimes reported per 100,000 people at a little more than 8000 complaints. That’s up 10 per cent from 2014.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2838481/kelo ... ity-index/
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Since I know some people here don't like clicking links and reading whats in them heres a picture.

This next picture shows how much our population has increased, this helps give context to the crime numbers we're seeing since per capita is generally what we need measure. Per capita is harder to find a single graph for though.

So there you have it, low crime rates, larger population, that means lowest crime rates ever (per capita), and even just in general.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

My American in laws had signs on their property - trespassers will be shot - and they meant it. Didn't stop criminals in the USA tho.
I agree they also steal your sense of security, about all we can do is get security cams, sensor lights, house alarms, blah
I remember we had to bar our basement windows in Edmonton.
Nothing much happens to the punks these days, and no one wants to toss them in jail. Happy enough to toss them under jail need be
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

First graph shows crime peaked when the Connector (97C) was completed. Hmmmm...
Someone has to say it.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableau ... 0c-eng.htm

Info is again 2016 info....would be interesting to see 2018 stats.

Other violent violations3 37,795 1,689 1,924 5,203 7,945
Property crime violations 1,163,647 67,136 75,405 221,390 237,649
Breaking and entering 159,119 9,592 10,205 27,989 29,841

Just an excerpt for these particular violations as robbery and theft of home property, where someone could get hurt defending or committing the crime, seems to be what this thread is leaning towards - 1st column is Canada-wide, 2nd column is Manitoba, 3rd column is Saskatchewan, 4th column is Alberta, and the last column is BC.

So in these areas, BC is the highest for these crimes across 4 PROVINCES, not cities per capita (this chart shows for comparison to each other). I think it's a fair to say that as Alberta and BC are the 3rd and 4th most populated provinces (BC at 4.7 mil and Alta at 4.07 mil in 2016) that the stats are close enough to compare.

EDITING NOTE: THE COLUMNS WEREN'T VERY EASY TO READ SO I RE-POSTED IT
Last edited by dle on Mar 7th, 2018, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”