Art in Kelowna, should the City buy it? Or?

Should the City of Kelowna buy this sculpture with their allotted Public Arts funds?

Yes, whomever is in charge of acquistions in the City of Kelowna needs to make an offer.
29%
No, the City of Kelowna does not need more public art on display.
7%
Undecided, it depends upon asking price.
14%
OH NO! The new mall owners don't realize what a treasure they have and should find a way to incorporate it into their plans
18%
Do not care what happens to the sculpture.
25%
I hate art, burn it.
7%

Total votes: 28

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Art in Kelowna, should the City buy it? Or?

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... loses-home

I remember coming home from Black Mountain where I had spent the night. There was a giant willow tree downed in my back yard. I had 50 minutes to get to my first client of the day and grabbed my camera and headed out to City Park. I snapped as many photos as humanly possible before the RCMP kicked me out due to safety concerns.

What a day!

The park lost so many beautiful trees that night. But the winds also opened it up to sunlight and air. Nature, it knows best.

:sunshine:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Art in Kelowna, should the City buy it? Or?

Post by Even Steven »

I don't anything special in it, to be honest. Kinda typical "art" you'd buy at the gift store but bigger.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Honestly, it's ugly as he//. Remember the hideous "totem pole" that used to be in front of the museum - the sculpture in Towne Center Mall is almost as bad as that.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

I like it. When it was first placed I took some time to really look at it closely from all around. I think it took an amazing amount of talent and skill and the fact it was made from a tree in City Park is a nice touch. I've taken visitors to that mall shopping and they thought it was awesome and they too spent a good amount of time really looking at it. Can you imagine the amount of time it took and the precision involved?

As with any art work it is totally subjective - some will be drawn by it, some will think it's nothing special.

I would be sad to see it junked and I'm all for the City buying and placing it somewhere like the new tourism centre in the park - I am serious - since they had to have a huge statement-piece type of tourism centre plunked in the park, that would be a great home for the carving - right back in City Park where it originally grew. Take it home. At least IT belongs there in that park....
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Someone will either buy or take it off the hands of Towne Centre Mall.
I remember a friend & myself watched from a top of that rock face just east of Knox Mt that whole storm come in..... wished I had video back then.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Maybe there should be a place for it in the new hotel that will be built at the foot of Queensway.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

funny how Kelowna will buy "art" (if thats what you want to call some of it), from anyone, anywhere, but when it comes to local artist they turn there nose on them.
I say they contact the boys up in williams lake at Pioneer. They appreciate stuff like that. May be able to find it a good home
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

I absolutely think the city should purchase it.
To say there's no where to display it is ridiculous - we have a pretty big park down town.

We all know well that all of the new construction and down town 'improvements' will come with art installations that the city commissions from people all over the world for ludicrous amounts of money - so I'd much rather see a local piece, made by a local artist out of local materials.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

vinnied wrote:funny how Kelowna will buy "art" (if thats what you want to call some of it), from anyone, anywhere, but when it comes to local artist they turn there nose on them.
I say they contact the boys up in williams lake at Pioneer. They appreciate stuff like that. May be able to find it a good home

I agree with your comment about the city always buying "from away" art instead of local!

Also, I LOVE that Timber Kings show....they would certainly appreciate the workmanship! I don't want to see it leave Kelowna though - it was born here - from seed to saw!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

purchase it , are you kidding me? the guy has no where to put it if anything he should be asking the city to take it off his hands and find somewhere for it other than the land fill at no cost our tax dollars can be wasted elsewhere
artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Post by artistwithaflare »

survey choices are a little scarry! and, targets hate. ( I hate it; burn it) ???

It is is beautiful sculpture made with love... :up:
Obviously the artist has great talent!
( and, I hope he ignores the hateful comments)

I hope it stays in the water front area to mark the history behind it.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

artistwithaflare wrote:survey choices are a little scarry! and, targets hate. ( I hate it; burn it) ???

It is is beautiful sculpture made with love... :up:
Obviously the artist has great talent!
( and, I hope he ignores the hateful comments)

I hope it stays in the water front area to mark the history behind it.

There's absolutely no reason it cant be put in city park where it originally came from with a plaque describing how it came to be. well besides the haters, what ya gonna do? haters gonna hate!
I bet tourists from all over would have there picture taken with it, and go back home to tell the story of the micro burst that took out most of the trees.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

vinnied wrote:There's absolutely no reason it cant be put in city park where it originally came from

How about the fact that this is a carving and thus only suitable for indoors due to deterioration from elements if left outside?
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Even Steven wrote:
vinnied wrote:There's absolutely no reason it cant be put in city park where it originally came from

How about the fact that this is a carving and thus only suitable for indoors due to deterioration from elements if left outside?

I did not know wood could not be treated. okay so we put a roof over it
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

It was originally displayed out where the original tree stood.
If memory serves correct it was being vandalized therefore restored and moved
to a more secure location.

As much as I have voiced my dismay at the Tourist Centre Location.
I would agree that this fine artwork should have a permanent home.
within its walls or guarding the entranceway.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”