Interesting Twist on an Existing Situation

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Interesting Twist on an Existing Situation

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I'm not sure what the deal is with City Hall this week?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#221568

Here another developer wants to build rental units, but apparently they aren't spiffy enough to please council. I'd be asking council, how much money do you want to contribute, to turn it into the Taj Mahal of rentals?

Easy to make demands when it's someone else's pocket you want to pick I suppose.

The main point to me though, is that I swear, I can think of at least four other locations, that have housing that looks practically identical to what this developer is proposing, within a stones throw even, and those were obviously approved, hence my wondering what the heck is going on there this week? Perhaps someone switched their water dispenser for orange kool-aid. :biggrin:

Do they want rental units or not?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Old Techie wrote:I'm not sure what the deal is with City Hall this week?

Here another developer wants to build rental units, but apparently they aren't spiffy enough to please council. I'd be asking council, how much money do you want to contribute, to turn it into the Taj Mahal of rentals?

Easy to make demands when it's someone else's pocket you want to pick I suppose.

The main point to me though, is that I swear, I can think of at least four other locations, that have housing that looks practically identical to what this developer is proposing, within a stones throw even, and those were obviously approved, hence my wondering what the heck is going on there this week? Perhaps someone switched their water dispenser for orange kool-aid. :biggrin:

Yea, getting tough to figure out. Mohini Singh asks, "where's the WOW factor?" Well, do you want affordable rental housing, where expense is put into the nuts and bolts of how it functions - or do you want additional money spent on aesthetics - increasing the costs to the end user? This is exactly what's apparently strongly in need and that's what's been presented - inexpensive rental row housing. I'm curious exactly what aspects of the city's design guidelines it was considered being short of attaining.
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

I believe "Wow Factor" may have been the wrong terminology. While I agree that these units look and fit more the 70s-80s style of apartment buildings they do fill a massive void...

I am torn in this decision myself, the concept of what the units are supposed to do makes sense, but then I have to ask at the same time, where is the community aspect of this. The units have families in mind, yet barely any green space or community space allowing for children to play outside, or neighbors to interact.

I may be wrong about the structure on the left in their pictures but if this concept comes with underground parking I am most definitely impressed though, as that would change the complex's impact on the neighborhood quite a bit.

I have to admit too though that I do like the traditional roof but I'd expect to see solar installations at this point to provide additional common grounds with services like power/lighting etc... If this is to be a rental platform as promised I'd expect that the design is kept to a minimum for maintenance and cost reasons but at the same time, people have to feel well living there... The balance of happy living vs cost saving is always treacherous but can work well if done right.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

WalterWhite wrote:In fact, I’ll go further to say, I bet you’ll find they will have far bigger issues with a couple of hoity-toity millionaires out there on their ten acre estates than you would with a large number of middle to low income earners happily enjoying their townhouses. I think we, the taxpayers, will be thankful if this doesn’t end up in court.

Exactly...

What hubris to use a threat of millionaire estates if the city won't allow them to get their way and make the millions they desire...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Probably a good time to clarify the above noted comments regarding aesthetics are not related to the Diamond Mountain project.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

WalterWhite wrote:Yea, getting tough to figure out. Mohini Singh asks, "where's the WOW factor?" Well, do you want affordable rental housing, where expense is put into the nuts and bolts of how it functions - or do you want additional money spent on aesthetics - increasing the costs to the end user? This is exactly what's apparently strongly in need and that's what's been presented - inexpensive rental row housing. I'm curious exactly what aspects of the city's design guidelines it was considered being short of attaining.

I'm with you on that.

"WOW factor" for goodness sake, it's in Rutland, what the heck does she expect?

I'm guessing many would be quite content with a roof that doesn't leak, and affordable rental rates, which will go out the window, if she wants WOW factor, more than living space.

I really get the impression this current group of councilors are somewhat inept.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Old Techie wrote:I'm not sure what the deal is with City Hall this week?

They caught so much flak over the approval of 33 stories they are now playing hardball. Bad luck to have your project up for approval this week. No more rubber stamping projects. Time to go upscale.
Do you think that they all attended a workshop on how to get more for less?
Waste not
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Grandan wrote:Do you think that they all attended a workshop on how to get more for less?

No. I think they are born knowing how to pick pockets of developers, well.............. and ours too. :biggrin:
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

WalterWhite wrote:
In fact, I’ll go further to say, I bet you’ll find they will have far bigger issues with a couple of hoity-toity millionaires out there on their ten acre estates than you would with a large number of middle to low income earners happily enjoying their townhouses.

Yea tell that to the Westside Landfill.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Good letter in today's Capital News from long time resident Peter Kuehn regarding the recent outcome of this proposal.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

WalterWhite wrote:Good letter in today's Capital News from long time resident Peter Kuehn regarding the recent outcome of this proposal.

Since we aren't allowed to post links to other local news sites, I'll just sum it up by saying Kuehn feels like many of us, that this mayor and council are incompetent idiots.

Return to “Central Okanagan”