Interesting Twist on an Existing Situation

Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Interesting Twist on an Existing Situation

Post by Terris »

As usual, there's a lot more to the story than meets the eye.

An old friend of mine owns the log house seen at the bottom of the picture and his family used to own some of the land in question.

Best view point in North Glenmore...

It'll be interesting to see the follow up from the big city Troika boys.

I like the tiny house idea...
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Catri wrote:There's nothing NIMBY about it, I live in a neighbourhood where there is a diversity of housing types and income levels and I like it. I just think it's inappropriate to house anyone literally next to a garbage dump and apparently CoK staff agree with me. As for your suggestion that I should donate land, that's a bizarre and presumptuous response to criticism. Flattered that you think I'm high and mighty though, thanks!

City of Kelowna staff agreed with you did they now?

Seems to me when I read the whole article, their concern was that if it was built out with regular type housing, they would be inundated with complaints about smell, noise, etc., and I agree with them on that.

That would be precisely why I suggested the option of providing low income housing but with the caveat that you accept it's near a landfill and you forfeit your right to complain in that regard.

I feel like I'm being proactive whereas you're simply being reactive.

As I've already stated there are homes in place overlooking the landfill, which are affected by smell.

Oddly enough, I'll also add that I do travel Glenmore Road a fair bit, and the worst odor I've ever encountered was when right inside the landfill, or at the location along Capistrano Peaks Road which overlooks the landfill. I can't say that I've noted similar levels of stench while driving along Glenmore, or in the vicinity of the dog park and these proposed development lands.

Being so opinionated on the matter, where do you propose such a project be placed? How about the Mission, I'm sure no one there would complain about tiny houses. [icon_lol2.gif]

I can only see something like that working in a situation where it isn't on prime value lands. There's also a mobile park, and fairly decent looking private residence along that stretch, and those people appear to be surviving just fine.

Down at Kane/Glenmore Rd there is all manner of services from McDonald's, to Timmy's, Save-On-Foods, IGA, Banks, Doctors offices, Pubs, drug stores, and a bunch of other stuff to choose from if needed. I'm not sure where the buses run but it can't be too far away either given the location of the University, and might well get adjusted too once John Hindle Drive opens.

It's not like I've seen anyone suggest anything better. Most of the time all I read is what people don't want.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

This property is ideal for housing given that it is a rocky outcropping of rock:
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#221307
Troika is proposing a development which includes about half of 88 hectares dedicated to natural areas and trails, among other environmentally-minded design ideas and materials.

“We want to bring to Kelowna a community that’s sustainable, that relieves the city’s affordable housing issue, that fits a real range of residents and families at different stages of life and scales of income,” says Wasylyk.

“If the area structure plan isn’t approved, the property is already zoned for Agricultural 1 (A1) so we would proceed with developing seventeen 10-acre lots that only the wealthy could afford, and the public parks, lookouts and trails would be lost”.

It boggles my mind that the city would be opposed to this project while at the same time considering the development of Thompson Flats and construction of the south perimeter road. John Hindle Drive is set to open this summer and will provide direct access to UBCO, the airport and all the new commercial development springing up north of Sexsmith, all without impacting Hwy 97 or Glenmore Road.
High density units are already at the corner of John Hindle Dr and Glenmore road and in effect are as close to the landfill as the proposed Diamond Mountain development.
I can't get my head wrapped around the idea that it is ok to have Quail Ridge overlooking the landfill but somehow this development is going to be impacted worse than that?
The days of creating 10 acre estates is over. The need for housing that does not carry a high price due to stunning views is high. The Glenmore Valley already filled with large acreages which are in the ALR and cannot be developed. Those lots were created over 100 years ago, it is time for change. The development of North Glenmore has been tamped down for far too long..
Waste not
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

impo anyone wanting to buy downwind from a landfill or developed within the smell range, is complete idiot.
I sure residents of Yaletown can tell anyone wanting to know the smell level coming from landfill.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:impo anyone wanting to buy downwind from a landfill or developed within the smell range, is complete idiot.
I sure residents of Yaletown can tell anyone wanting to know the smell level coming from landfill.

- and yet not only was Yaletown still allowed to be developed, as was UBCO, Quail Ridge and Wilden - they're thriving.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ good for them, may they enjoy the smell. Hopefully the landfill never has another fire, sh :cuss: t happens.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Some sour grapes / arm twisting coming from Troika now. Give us what we want , or we are going to develop it into something that only "rich people" will be able to afford. (as if the original plan was going to be within reach of low-mid income families)
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

It would be interesting to know just how many complaints the city currently gets with regard to odor, noise, dust etc. from current Yaletown, Quail Ridge, UBCO, Wilden residents.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

WalterWhite wrote:It would be interesting to know just how many complaints the city currently gets with regard to odor, noise, dust etc. from current Yaletown, Quail Ridge, UBCO, Wilden residents.

Wouldn't really matter, it's not as if anything can or will be done about it. Just like those who purchase near an airport or industrial area, then bit :swear: & complain.
Landfill, industrial area or airport is not moving just because some idiot moved in without checking out the area.
I remember poster who came onto this forum to bit :swear: & complain, that next door to their newly purchase home was the Kelowna gun range.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

WalterWhite wrote:It would be interesting to know just how many complaints the city currently gets with regard to odor, noise, dust etc. from current Yaletown, Quail Ridge, UBCO, Wilden residents.

Been in the Wilden area for 8 years and can tell you that we have NEVER once had to experience odor, dust or noise from the "dump". The only odor we experience is the stench of Kelowna city council.........where there is no safe haven from it!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:

Wouldn't really matter, it's not as if anything can or will be done about it. Just like those who purchase near an airport or industrial area, then bit :swear: & complain.
Landfill, industrial area or airport is not moving just because some idiot moved in without checking out the area.
I remember poster who came onto this forum to bit :swear: & complain, that next door to their newly purchase home was the Kelowna gun range.

But it does matter and that’s the point - if there hasn’t been much if any complaints - Lesliepaul just stated he’s lived in Wilden for 8 years and not had a single instance of landfill impact - then how can the city use this as a reason to not support the development?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Wouldn't really matter, it's not as if anything can or will be done about it. Just like those who purchase near an airport or industrial area, then bit :swear: & complain.

WalterWhite wrote:But it does matter and that’s the point - if there hasn’t been much if any complaints - Lesliepaul just stated he’s lived in Wilden for 8 years and not had a single instance of landfill impact - then how can the city use this as a reason to not support the development?

Once one gets beyond 1.5Kms what smell & dust would be very low (further away one goes the lesser it becomes)
Here is 1.5 Km radius around the Landfill (those to east & west are somewhat protected by hill ranges)
http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-arou ... 0FF00&mt=h
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

GordonH wrote:impo anyone wanting to buy downwind from a landfill or developed within the smell range, is complete idiot.

The prevailing winds are from the southwest, not the north so it is Quail Ridge which bears the brunt of the odour issue but let's not let facts stand in the way of a jolly good put down.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

WalterWhite wrote:

- and yet not only was Yaletown still allowed to be developed, as was UBCO, Quail Ridge and Wilden - they're thriving.

Better than that , the council of the day permitted the construction and expansion of the landfill to take place and run roughshod over the once spectacular ranch land that once operated on that land.
Waste not

Return to “Central Okanagan”