Glenmore landfill

maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Glenmore landfill

Post by maple leaf »

Today I did some spring cleanup around the yard and took a pickup load of leaves and garden waste to the landfill.News to me that they are no longer letting you dump for free.They now charge a min of $5.00. What I see this causing is there will now be all kinds of dumpsites up all the logging roads with yard waste, over and above what we already see with regular garbage on a lot of the bush roads.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Re: Glenmore landfill

Post by MalaPropina »

It astounds me that these people won't pay the $5.00 at the landfill but will use $15.00 in gas to drive out to the bush.
It was bad before and now it will get worse due to this failed logic. These are the same people who complain when the backroads are closed due to high fire hazard when they are the ones contributing to it by leaving their piles of dried up garbage everywhere.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Five bucks?

That is going to deter people from using the landfill properly? Only people who think running the landfill is FREE! No, it costs money to deal with peoples' junk and garbage and green waste. Running chippers is free? No. Running trucks? No. Wages? No. Materials? No.
Dealing with people's stuff who can't seem to keep things separated? No.

All costs money.

So what is the big deal about $5? A freaking coffee at Starbucks which is gone a few minutes can be more expensive.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I'm not a fan of charging for yard waste drop off, because we pay to have yard waste picked up and for many of us the only reason we have to drop anything at the dump is because the curbside bin pick up is usually inadequate to deal with the quantity and timing of fallen leaves in the autumn. They also make money by selling the composted product of our yard waste. I know running the dump isn't free, I also know I get a tax bill every year and once upon a time (last year) that was enough to fund the yard waste program.

I don't condone dumping anything in the bush, but just for curiosity sake, what the heck are you driving MalaPropina that it costs $15 to drive a few clicks up a logging road? My car is pretty good on gas, but I can drive to Penticton on $5 worth.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Catri wrote: My car is pretty good on gas, but I can drive to Penticton on $5 worth.

Yeah but where are you starting from, Summerland? [icon_lol2.gif]

Because if you're talking Kelowna to Penticton, unless you're driving a Smart Car, or a very new small engine turbo charged model, like a Hyundai, I call BS.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Five bucks?

That is going to deter people from using the landfill properly? Only people who think running the landfill is FREE! No, it costs money to deal with peoples' junk and garbage and green waste. Running chippers is free? No. Running trucks? No. Wages? No. Materials? No.

All costs money.

So what is the big deal about $5? A freaking coffee at Starbucks which is gone a few minutes can be more expensive.

And after they collect your money for bringing them your yard waste they are more than happy to charge you again for the Ogogrow they turn your yard waste into. Most manufactures purchase the raw materials they need to produce their product not charge their customers for supplying them those raw materials.
I normally do at least two yard waste runs in the spring and four in the fall. I used to buy approx 5 yards of Ogogrow annually from the landfill for myself and neighbours as I'm the one with the pickup. Now that the City will be getting money from yard waste they do not need any more of it from me for their Ogogrow. The landfill is now the last place I will be purchasing any Ogogrow from and hope others do likewise. I will gladly pay more from another supplier than be charged for the raw materials and the manufactured product by the COK.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

cv23 wrote: The landfill is now the last place I will be purchasing any Ogogrow from and hope others do likewise. I will gladly pay more from another supplier than be charged for the raw materials and the manufactured product by the COK.

They still get your money no matter where you buy it as they are the only manufacturer. (I believe)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Old Techie wrote:Yeah but where are you starting from, Summerland? [icon_lol2.gif]

Because if you're talking Kelowna to Penticton, unless you're driving a Smart Car, or a very new small engine turbo charged model, like a Hyundai, I call BS.
Starting from Rutland, but yes, I drive a compact car, hence the "good on gas" warning. Still, the point was that even driving a pick-up, $5 would get you far enough up a logging road to where idiots dump their crap, right? They don't seem to go for super remote areas. Or maybe I'm wrong and it really does cost them $15 in gas, which kinda makes me all the happier to be driving my little car.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

cv23 wrote:
Five bucks?

All costs money.

And after they collect your money for bringing them your yard waste they are more than happy to charge you again for the Ogogrow they turn your yard waste into. Most manufactures purchase the raw materials they need to produce their product not charge their customers for supplying them those raw materials.
I normally do at least two yard waste runs in the spring and four in the fall. I used to buy approx 5 yards of Ogogrow annually from the landfill for myself and neighbours as I'm the one with the pickup. Now that the City will be getting money from yard waste they do not need any more of it from me for their Ogogrow. The landfill is now the last place I will be purchasing any Ogogrow from and hope others do likewise. I will gladly pay more from another supplier than be charged for the raw materials and the manufactured product by the COK.

Yeah that's quite the scam they have going there alright.

First they whack you for their services on property tax, then they charge you for dropping off raw materials they need to make Ogo Grow, and then you get to buy it back, and all this over and above all the money they rake in from the recyclable that we practically have to gift wrap before they accept them.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Bsuds wrote:
They still get your money no matter where you buy it as they are the only manufacturer. (I believe)

There are several in the valley. Ogogrow is the COK "brand" and actually one of the more inferior products. I used to purchase it as I was already at the landfill and thought I was helping support the city's recycling program. Now my support will be limited to the $5 tipping fee for yard waste.
Natures Gold is just down Glenmore a bit further than the landfill and has a much better product
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I know it's probably quite safe but something about a product that includes human waste just turns me off.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Do not alter quotes. It is a violation of the rules that you agreed too.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

LOL yeah, everything should be free. Five bucks is too much!
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

maple leaf wrote:
Bsuds wrote:
Natures Gold is just down Glenmore a bit further than the landfill and has a much better product

Do you know where they get their raw material from? We need to find another place that will take it for free and if they make money from it, that I have no problem with.

If you live in Kelowna you're likely already "dropping off" your contribution to Nature's Gold.

From their website:
Natures Gold is produced using nature’s recipe book. Solids originating from the City of Kelowna’s innovative chemical free wastewater treatment plant are processed by beneficial microorganisms to form stable organic matter.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It prolly costs $1.50 just to collect the $5.00 per vehicle.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”