Distracted Driving Crackdown

AltaRed
Fledgling

Distracted Driving Crackdown

Post by AltaRed »

Re: Castanet article on distracted driving, it is very good the cops are out in force cracking down on drivers with handheld cell phones. I find it very obvious when driving along busy streets such as Harvey Ave who is on the phone.They clearly are accidents waiting to happen. When are drivers going to learn that they are as great a hazard on the streets as a DUI/DWI? It may take months of targeted effort for 'slow learners' and 'societal pariahs' to get it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Post by GordonH »

Knowing how many tickets have been issued (300 & growing), clearly the fines & penalties are not high enough.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

AltaRed wrote: It may take months of targeted effort for 'slow learners' and 'societal pariahs' to get it.

If they haven't "got" it by now they probably never will.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

This is one of the things I praise the Police for. These asshats have got to get the message somehow and maybe the fines need to go even higher. :up:
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Here is link to the story on Castanet https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ed-drivers

As soon as I see the link from CHBC I will add it
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

why just crack down on things? cops need to do their jobs every day and pull these fools over not just go out full force for a few days and crack down.i travel thru kelowna twice a day and see several people blatantly on their phones like its all good and a few more looking sneaky firing off a text at the stop lights.the traffic enforcement is pretty much a joke here. no one ever gets nailed for driving in the HOV lane either. once in a while they crack down on something ,castanet runs a story then back to business as usual
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Whyme2 wrote:This is one of the things I praise the Police for. These asshats have got to get the message somehow and maybe the fines need to go even higher. :up:

In addition to heavier fines, the cops should immediately impound the vehicle (no matter who owns it) and keep it in locked compound for a good long period..and make them walk home. Its a total addiction and the minor fines are just not sinking into these boneheads.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

voice of reason wrote:why just crack down on things? cops need to do their jobs every day and pull these fools over not just go out full force for a few days and crack down.i travel thru kelowna twice a day and see several people blatantly on their phones like its all good and a few more looking sneaky firing off a text at the stop lights.the traffic enforcement is pretty much a joke here. no one ever gets nailed for driving in the HOV lane either. once in a while they crack down on something ,castanet runs a story then back to business as usual

I would like to see it every day myself, of course I suspect RCMP would need more City tax dollars to fund the officers needed.

As for HOV lane it was only brought in for the transit busses, not to encourage more people per/vehicle
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Distracted driving is barely an issue. Did none of you read about the law firm in Vancouver that applied through the Freedom of Information Act to get the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents with cell phones. They are nowhere near what ICBC has been lying to us about. Lying about the numbers. Think about that. So if they're lying about that the only reason would be to justify higher fines and to increase premiums to cover the cost of most of the idiot or bad drivers that caused way more accidents than cell phone distracted drivers. You're more adistracted driver trying to change a CD on your stereo or change radio stations. Obviously there's going to be extremes for some cell phone distracted drivers. But the actual facts of cell phone distracted drivers is nowhere near what ICBC has been lying about. If I can read dig up that article I will post it. I personally don't like being lied to to justify a change in policy or to raise fines which is merely just taxation. If you want to make a dent in distracted driving. Take out all GPS units,stereo radios, any form of communication built into the car. don't allow passengers or children.. but even if you do that you'll still have the bad drivers and the idiot drivers. They're not singling out cell phone distracted driving because it's the issue . The proof is in the numbers that they lied about.there saying that's why they're doing it because they can justify the fines and enforcement..
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Dang it, I thought it was to make a clear path for motorcyclists..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

here is link showing ICBC exaggeration and the police about the real distracted driving numbers. http://vancouvercriminallaw.com/icbc-po ... y-numbers/
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Guess they just have to keep pulling them over. Took a long time to have positive results on DUIs ,and that is still somewhat of a problem.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

motorhomebabe wrote:Guess they just have to keep pulling them over. Took a long time to have positive results on DUIs ,and that is still somewhat of a problem.

As an observer/driver like most daily commuters, pretty sure I could retire in one month if I was able to keep the bucks from fines handed out.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

common_sense_guy wrote:Distracted driving is barely an issue. Did none of you read about the law firm in Vancouver that applied through the Freedom of Information Act to get the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents with cell phones. They are nowhere near what ICBC has been lying to us about. Lying about the numbers. Think about that. So if they're lying about that the only reason would be to justify higher fines and to increase premiums to cover the cost of most of the idiot or bad drivers that caused way more accidents than cell phone distracted drivers. You're more adistracted driver trying to change a CD on your stereo or change radio stations. Obviously there's going to be extremes for some cell phone distracted drivers. But the actual facts of cell phone distracted drivers is nowhere near what ICBC has been lying about. If I can read dig up that article I will post it. I personally don't like being lied to to justify a change in policy or to raise fines which is merely just taxation. If you want to make a dent in distracted driving. Take out all GPS units,stereo radios, any form of communication built into the car. don't allow passengers or children.. but even if you do that you'll still have the bad drivers and the idiot drivers. They're not singling out cell phone distracted driving because it's the issue . The proof is in the numbers that they lied about.there saying that's why they're doing it because they can justify the fines and enforcement..

I'm going to venture a guess that you use your cell phone while driving.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

common_sense_guy wrote:Distracted driving is barely an issue. Did none of you read about the law firm in Vancouver that applied through the Freedom of Information Act to get the actual numbers of distracted driving accidents with cell phones. They are nowhere near what ICBC has been lying to us about. Lying about the numbers. Think about that. So if they're lying about that the only reason would be to justify higher fines and to increase premiums to cover the cost of most of the idiot or bad drivers that caused way more accidents than cell phone distracted drivers. You're more adistracted driver trying to change a CD on your stereo or change radio stations. Obviously there's going to be extremes for some cell phone distracted drivers. But the actual facts of cell phone distracted drivers is nowhere near what ICBC has been lying about. If I can read dig up that article I will post it. I personally don't like being lied to to justify a change in policy or to raise fines which is merely just taxation. If you want to make a dent in distracted driving. Take out all GPS units,stereo radios, any form of communication built into the car. don't allow passengers or children.. but even if you do that you'll still have the bad drivers and the idiot drivers. They're not singling out cell phone distracted driving because it's the issue . The proof is in the numbers that they lied about.there saying that's why they're doing it because they can justify the fines and enforcement..

i can agree with you about it not being a big issue if it was only people talking on their phones, however texting is flat out dangerous no ifs ands or buts about it, and most people i see wandering all over the road or with their head down at a light are texting and that is a problem .

Return to “Central Okanagan”