Distracted Driving Crackdown

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Distracted Driving Crackdown

Post by OKkayak »

csm wrote:Police need to drive F350's with tinted windows and no markings

If I can't have tinted windows then neither should the RCMP, no matter what "justification". :up:
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If those drivers are so distracted , RCMP shouldn't have to worry about tint.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

dirtguy wrote:i would prefer police keep busy doing actual police work,like catching drug dealers and crooks. The distracted driving thing is BS

Imagine how unsafe the roads would become if your wish came true.

Everyone could drive however they wanted to with zero chance of being caught. Imagine the deteriorating driving behaviour that would result from no enforcement.

Like it or not, traffic enforcement IS real police work.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

quote="dirtguy"]
i would prefer police keep busy doing actual police work,like catching drug dealers and crooks. The distracted driving thing is BS

Imagine how unsafe the roads would become if your wish came true.

Everyone could drive however they wanted to with zero chance of being caught. Imagine the deteriorating driving behaviour that would result from no enforcement.

Like it or not, traffic enforcement IS real police work.

Have known MANY city police and RCMP (friends) since the 1970's and I can count on one hand how many over the last 40 years LIKED working traffic (city police). 95% of them said they "hired on" to do police work and not be "tax collectors". Do not get me wrong here, I understand the need for traffic enforcement but I have to believe it is the simplest area of police work AND pays considerably well with all of the time (overtime $$$) in court...…….win, lose or draw.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped
As I've said all along until the province hits drivers wallets hard, nothing will change. People are addicted to their cellphones.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/250931 ... nd-driving
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
spooker

Post by spooker »

lesliepaul wrote:Have known MANY city police and RCMP (friends) since the 1970's and I can count on one hand how many over the last 40 years LIKED working traffic (city police). 95% of them said they "hired on" to do police work and not be "tax collectors". Do not get me wrong here, I understand the need for traffic enforcement but I have to believe it is the simplest area of police work AND pays considerably well with all of the time (overtime $$$) in court...…….win, lose or draw.

We have the technology to take care of a lot of the "repetition" they would encounter with doing the traffic detail ... let's get those red light cameras and speed radars going! Add signage warning drivers about it both at the appropriate locations and other random locations for good measure ... people would learn quickly they have to pay attention
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

spooker wrote:
Edited
people would learn quickly they have to pay attention

People don't learn all that quickly, if they did, why has this become such a problem?
Bring back the LIKE button.
spooker

Post by spooker »

alanjh595 wrote:People don't learn all that quickly, if they did, why has this become such a problem?

can we say "entitlement"? you've got that big a :cuss: engine under the hood, you've got a nice wide road ahead, you've been bombarded with commercials that tell you how enjoyable driving is supposed to be and how comfortable you'll be in "this" car ... you've just spent many thousands of dollars for this vehicle, you've paid for the privilege to DRIVE!

Add to that the stresses of always feeling like you're running late ... and how the only way to be successful is to be on top of "everything" at all times so you need to use your devices ...

We've set ourselves up for it ... and we're too stubborn to step back and admit we're not perfect ... we don't have perfect awareness, we can't really multi-task, we can't compartmentalise our emotions ...
csm
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by csm »

AltaRed wrote:Re: Castanet article on distracted driving, it is very good the cops are out in force cracking down on drivers with handheld cell phones. I find it very obvious when driving along busy streets such as Harvey Ave who is on the phone.They clearly are accidents waiting to happen. When are drivers going to learn that they are as great a hazard on the streets as a DUI/DWI? It may take months of targeted effort for 'slow learners' and 'societal pariahs' to get it.

I saw some idiot driving with his stupid dog on his lap - and 2 cops drove right by him - guess if you disguise your mangy mutt as a cell phone - you get a pass??
Compliance is a tool used by dictators, to take your freedom and never give it back.
Enjoy your new "Slave State"!
spooker

Post by spooker »

csm wrote:
AltaRed wrote:Re: Castanet article on distracted driving, it is very good the cops are out in force cracking down on drivers with handheld cell phones. I find it very obvious when driving along busy streets such as Harvey Ave who is on the phone.They clearly are accidents waiting to happen. When are drivers going to learn that they are as great a hazard on the streets as a DUI/DWI? It may take months of targeted effort for 'slow learners' and 'societal pariahs' to get it.

I saw some idiot driving with his stupid dog on his lap - and 2 cops drove right by him - guess if you disguise your mangy mutt as a cell phone - you get a pass??

or disguise your cellphone as a dog?

https://www.amazon.com/Fusicase-iphone-fashion-Lovely-Fitted/dp/B00XG7OUA0
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It actually amazes me how many drivers are unwilling to just go & get a hands free bluetooth unit. Then they can talk on there cellphones while driving until there ears bleed.

Oops.... that is right bluetooth unit won't help with texting & driving. impo anyone caught doing this stupidity should lose there DL for a while (and get a monster fine as well).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

csm wrote:I saw some idiot driving with his stupid dog on his lap - and 2 cops drove right by him - guess if you disguise your mangy mutt as a cell phone - you get a pass??

Hello csm, I'm curious.
How did you determine that the driver is an idiot, that his dog is stupid, and that my mutt is mangy ?
If you were driving when you witnessed this, you were exhibiting distracted driving.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Central Okanagan”