Kelowna to fine those who donate

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Kelowna to fine those who donate

Post by alanjh595 »

Why not just build a bin for donations. Don't give them to individuals, just chuck your cans and bottles in the bin and drive away. What happens to them after that is no longer your concern. Let's call it a voluntary donation bin and it could be located anywhere and/or movable.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Grandan wrote:
Snman wrote:First of all, it's not a 'need to hand out spare change', it's a choice. Secondly, if your daughter is so intimidated perhaps she should call the police. Surely they will attend to the lawlessness. Thirdly, if you're looking for another imbecile besides Basran, look in the mirror. I don't need your permission or blessing to give whatever I want to those who are needy. Get off your high horse.

My daughter and other people on Kirschner Road did call the police. She did talk to bylaw enforcement and after a year or so of daily harassment the solution was a bylaw that addressed the problem and that is to enable bylaw enforcement and the police to move these people out of the neighbourhood. Nobody is preventing you or any other person from giving spare change to anyone you want to, to give your bottles and cans to any bottle collector that you want to, just don't do it within 500 metres of a bottle depot. As for spare change, handing it out to someone on the median from your car is also illegal. I doubt that this will stop you from doing so any time your heart desires.

Actually, I never said I did, not once. It's a question of someone telling me that I cannot. That is the problem.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

Grandan wrote:
Snman wrote:First of all, it's not a 'need to hand out spare change', it's a choice. Secondly, if your daughter is so intimidated perhaps she should call the police. Surely they will attend to the lawlessness. Thirdly, if you're looking for another imbecile besides Basran, look in the mirror. I don't need your permission or blessing to give whatever I want to those who are needy. Get off your high horse.

My daughter and other people on Kirschner Road did call the police. She did talk to bylaw enforcement and after a year or so of daily harassment the solution was a bylaw that addressed the problem and that is to enable bylaw enforcement and the police to move these people out of the neighbourhood. Nobody is preventing you or any other person from giving spare change to anyone you want to, to give your bottles and cans to any bottle collector that you want to, just don't do it within 500 metres of a bottle depot. As for spare change, handing it out to someone on the median from your car is also illegal. I doubt that this will stop you from doing so any time your heart desires.

The Bylaw that has passed third reading does NOT enable Bylaw enforcement and RCMP to 'move these people out of the neighbourhood'.

As well, I can take my own bottles to the Depot, cross the street, and dole out the change on my own from now on, I guess...

Or maybe I'll sell them a $2.00 sack o' cans for a nickel.

Not a "donation" any longer if we exchange goods for tender, now is it?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I think the answer lies in pushing the issue. Someone needs to get the ticket and fight it. Get this BS struck down
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

All this press has gotta make for good business for the bottle-jockies.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Easy. Stop donating spare change to individuals which just encourages begging behaviour. Instead, donate to your charity of choice. E.g.: I believe a dollar at the Salvation Army goes much farther, especially with their purchasing power. And you know it goes to essential needs (not drugs or alcohol).

Some people just like to give directly as that makes them feel like they did their good deed of the day. But they don't realize they are rewarding panhandling and begging.

And next they complain about Downtown not feeling safe, yada yada.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

wish they would amend the bylaw to include grocery stores, liquor stores, shops asking you to " donate" too.
And the cashiers are closer than 50 mm
So asking for spare change is wrong, but hitting me up for 2 dollars to support something after I already left $100 at the till is ok?
Bet they don't donate the 5 cents for the bag either.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Well i tried. I openly gave 5 dollars to a guy on camera. Waiting by the mail for my fine.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I'll attend court if they nail you :) You can start a Go Fund me page
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

WalterWhite wrote:So, where exactly is the 500M distance measured from? The front property line? The physical entry to the depot building? The cash register? Once the actual boundary is established, the good folk that currently reside at the Kirschner location will simply relocate to another area, taking whatever problem exists on Kirschner to a new location. Brilliant, CoK.

What constitutes the transaction being a fineable "donation" or an actual business transaction. One could argue there is a service being provided wherein the current Kirschner Rd. inhabitants are saving people the time and effort required to sort and drop off their returnables and they're doing it for them - for a fee.

500 metres away from the bottle depot means that anywhere on Kirschner Road is off limits as well as the nearby streets.
When a cop pulls you over for handing out change on a median, go ahead and fight it in court, let us know when it happens so I can watch and laugh while you try to weasel out of it.
If you truly are interested in donating bottles, that is permitted, at the bottle depot where the funds are directed to those truly in need. My guess is that when people give their bottles and cans to roadside hustlers or hand out change at he median it makes them feel like a hero. If you want to attract rats to your residence, leave food offerings for them and they will arrive in droves.
Waste not
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Grandan wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:So, where exactly is the 500M distance measured from? The front property line? The physical entry to the depot building? The cash register? Once the actual boundary is established, the good folk that currently reside at the Kirschner location will simply relocate to another area, taking whatever problem exists on Kirschner to a new location. Brilliant, CoK.

What constitutes the transaction being a fineable "donation" or an actual business transaction. One could argue there is a service being provided wherein the current Kirschner Rd. inhabitants are saving people the time and effort required to sort and drop off their returnables and they're doing it for them - for a fee.

500 metres away from the bottle depot means that anywhere on Kirschner Road is off limits as well as the nearby streets.
When a cop pulls you over for handing out change on a median, go ahead and fight it in court, let us know when it happens so I can watch and laugh while you try to weasel out of it.
If you truly are interested in donating bottles, that is permitted, at the bottle depot where the funds are directed to those truly in need. My guess is that when people give their bottles and cans to roadside hustlers or hand out change at he median it makes them feel like a hero. If you want to attract rats to your residence, leave food offerings for them and they will arrive in droves.

Thanks for completely missing the point.
fz6adventure
Board Meister

Post by fz6adventure »

normaM wrote:I'll attend court if they nail you :) You can start a Go Fund me page

And I'll give you the tools to get it out of the Bylaw Adjudication Act into Provincial Court.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

This just screams welcome to kelowna.. I personally think the city of kelowna and it's bylaws are a joke. You need permits for everything and get fined for everything. If I chose to donate I will and if they don't like it to bad for them. I am sick of seeing the city :cuss: money away on completely useless crap so if they get to pick and choose where they put there money I will as well.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Seriously most of kelownas bylaws are just a cheep money grab so that they can have a nice big year-end bonuses.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Seems a bit witch hunting ish.
I am around the Depot on K a fair amt, the bottle people have been nothing but polite and asking about the Pup
So, give money to Developers is fine City Hall ( even when neighbours are protesting?)
But giving to a Panhandler is worthy of a fine?
I don't think people give money to feel like a Hero, we give because well we actually see it is another Human and that Mom voice says in our head
There but the grace
If giving a dollar or some cans means I am somehow fueling the epidemic of street people
Think I'll toss a stone or 3 at the Govt. The powers that be that closed places that helped people with Mental Health issues
The powers that shoved kids in foster homes
The Powers that can buy $20 dollar glasses of Orange juice and slap it on their Govt expense acct
Tax the well to do for having second homes? Pound the alarm
Women living on the street? Shrug
Anyhow, you all enjoy your Easter. Half price treats Monday :)

Return to “Central Okanagan”